Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
wdreamsmaycome
wdreamsmaycome is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 3, ipod touch 1st gen
whispernet surcharge for global kindles, no way around it?

I don't think the Amazon help folks understood my question, but hopefully people here know what I'm talking about: for global kindles when you buy on the Amazon store as far as I know you pay $2 extra per e-book for the 'wireless delivery' (which can add up pretty quickly).

Is there any way anywhere to say 'do not charge me these $2, I will d/load on my pc and sync over usb'? I am totally fine if this is a convenience charge where people wanting to use whispernet will pay it, I am not so fine if this is a 'tax' that one has to pay whether one uses whispernet or not.

I am very much on the fence between Kobo and Kindle and this is definitely one of the differentiators between the two (no extra surcharges in the Kobo store). Of course I could just buy a kindle and buy everything in kobo and read it on the kindle, but it seems a hassle in this world of e-babel walled gardens.
wdreamsmaycome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
What country are you downloading from?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I looked at the kobo yesterday funnily enough and didnt like it much; and the Borders ebook store is very hard to search in. Maybe you could live in the USA for a while hey?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdreamsmaycome View Post
Is there any way anywhere to say 'do not charge me these $2, I will d/load on my pc and sync over usb'?
No.

However, and I can only speak for Canada and someone who actually have a Kindle 2i and a Kobo ... Amazon is slowly rolling back the Whispernet charge. It no longer applies to anything offer for free; it is not always applied to lower priced items (Identity Crisis by Debbie Mack was $4.99 and is now $2.99 because the delivery charge is gone); and sometimes the charge appears to be some fraction of Whispernet. It's always built in so this is speculation.

It used to be many titles at Kobo in Canada vs Amazon Kindle were around $2 difference ... now that gap is sometimes closed or close to closed.

Actually, I don't have a problem with a "delivery fee" so long as it is reasonable and transparent -- like 15¢/MB, the charge for personal docs converted. War and Peace would be more than a pulp fiction; but it would still be modest vs the price of whatever was purchased.

If the same title is available at about the same price for Kobo or Kindle, I'll buy the Kindle so I have the opportunity to directly participate in the online community -- even if I probably won't. But I see no reason to spend $6.99 for an Agatha Christie at Amazon when the same title is $4.99 at Kobo.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
wdreamsmaycome

I live (and would be d/loading) from Canada, interesting that the whispernet charge is being rolled back, the thing is though that looking at the kindle store it is really unclear where it is and where it isn't if you don't compare the prices to Kobo etc.

I would be fine paying a (small, like you said 15c/MB) delivery fee for whispernet, but $2 is way way way too much.
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
tekane
tekane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I am in Canada with a DX and have never been charged to downloading on whispernet.
tekane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you checked the price on the Canadian book versus the price on the US site? In Australia, they are all $2 dearer.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
This obviously calls for a Pricerunner.com site geared towards e-books. Where to get a certain title for the least amount. Considering the outlets today it ought to be cinch for an accomplished programmer.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdreamsmaycome View Post
I don't think the Amazon help folks understood my question, but hopefully people here know what I'm talking about: for global kindles when you buy on the Amazon store as far as I know you pay $2 extra per e-book for the 'wireless delivery' (which can add up pretty quickly).

Is there any way anywhere to say 'do not charge me these $2, I will d/load on my pc and sync over usb'? I am totally fine if this is a convenience charge where people wanting to use whispernet will pay it, I am not so fine if this is a 'tax' that one has to pay whether one uses whispernet or not.

I am very much on the fence between Kobo and Kindle and this is definitely one of the differentiators between the two (no extra surcharges in the Kobo store). Of course I could just buy a kindle and buy everything in kobo and read it on the kindle, but it seems a hassle in this world of e-babel walled gardens.
Quotes from "Important Reminder About International Delivery Fees" on my Kindle DX Graphite:
"Due to internationals costs, additional fees apply....
- For subscriptions...a weekly fee of $4.99. If you have subscriptions, you will receive more details...in a separate letter on your Kindle when you travel outside the U.S.
- For personal documents...while outside the U.S., the fee is $.99 per megabyte...
There is no charge for wirelessly receiving books, receiving single periodical issues, browsing the Kindle store, or using the experimental web browser while traveling internationally."
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:44 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The $2 fee was absolished a couple of months ago in the UK. It is slowly being removed - presumably as Amazon do deals with local telecoms operators.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
This obviously calls for a Pricerunner.com site geared towards e-books. Where to get a certain title for the least amount. Considering the outlets today it ought to be cinch for an accomplished programmer.
There are plenty of those sites out there, but I don't know of one that will search the same vendor for price variations by country.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
wdreamsmaycome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
There is no charge for wirelessly receiving books, receiving single periodical issues, browsing the Kindle store, or using the experimental web browser while traveling internationally."
was this charge 'removed' or 'hidden' though? I know the site doesn't say anything, but I remember clearly that titles for Canada Kindles used to be $2 higher than titles for US Kindles, this was why I asked the original question.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
Pushka
Wizard

The charge was removed. Prior to that, US based people who bought books while travelling OS were charged an extra $2. In Australia, it is a hidden charge; Amazon still say whispernet is free. But books cost two dollar more. Putting in on to the price of the book before it is purchased, does not make it free.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Compared with the charge for sending converted documents, isn't it a bit pricey? Few books are larger than 0.5 MB.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
drl
drl began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800
Don't forget that with ebooks you are often paying sales tax on overseas purchases. If I understand correctly, ebooks are considered "software" in the EU and VAT applies, but paper books are exempt.
drl is offline   Reply With Quote