Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 02:01 AM   #1
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K2i, K3(B006), KT(WiFi)
a couple of glitches with 0.6.31

If somebody please confirm this?

1. LIT-MOBI conversion
Some of capitalized names get LF/CF in front of it and after it.

eg. " I saw Strape Street boys." becomes

"I saw
Strap Street
boys."
(Strap Street becomes italic too)

I tried lit2mobi perl script manually it works fine though.

2. on the Kindle2i Icons appears when I connect the device, on 'big red heart" row. When cursor is on the icon, 'eject' button appears on the icon.

If you click it, the Kindle icon disappears from calibre. USB drive letter also disappear form Windows explorer. But, on Kindle's screen the "USB-connected" picture remains like it is still connected to the PC.

Last edited by test011; 01-01-2010 at 02:02 AM. Reason: .
test011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Item 2) is expected behavior. It is the Kindle firmware that does not detect it has been disconnected.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As for 1) the reason lit2mobi works is probablt because it ignores the formatting.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Thanks for your response.

for 2) wouldn't there be a way to emulate "eject" in windows explorer menu when you right click the kindle drive? I mean kindle firmware understands that method of disconnection, then why not use it in calibre?

for 1) I don't really see any formatting around those, though. I do own a paper edition of the book and looked up, and found nothing and MS LIT reader doesn't really shows any special formatting either. They are just normal sentances.

"stationed at Chittling Street." and "young men from Rope Street." were the actual words.

with calibre they became
---
stationed at
Chittling Street
---
and

---
young men from
Rope Street
---

At any rate, that doesn't really look like they are in right format.

Manybe there is something wrong with the original lit, although MS LIT reader doesn't show it visually, which means MS Reader and lit2mobi ignore it, but calibre detects it anyway. odd isn't it?

Last edited by test011; 01-02-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by test011 View Post
for 2) wouldn't there be a way to emulate "eject" in windows explorer menu when you right click the kindle drive? I mean kindle firmware understands that method of disconnection, then why not use it in calibre?
The eject button that appears on the on the icon calls the Windows eject routine that safely remove hardware uses.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
rlaskey
rlaskey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Not sure if I'm alone in this one, though with 0.6.31, using my PRS-600, there have been some trouble in having a "tag" or collection to stick: for one particular book, I would set a tag, then eject; but the book would not be in that particular collection, and when I re-connect to calibre it came out as having no tags.
rlaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by test011 View Post
with calibre they became
---
stationed at
Chittling Street
---

At any rate, that doesn't really look like they are in right format.

Manybe there is something wrong with the original lit, although MS LIT reader doesn't show it visually, which means MS Reader and lit2mobi ignore it, but calibre detects it anyway. odd isn't it?
Hi test011,

I may be wrong but I would hazard a guess that your source LIT has been created from a MSWord doc which had "smart tags" switched on, i.e it's a problem with your source file not Calibre. I'm sure someone, somewhere likes this "feature" but I never met them!

If you liberate the HTML from the LIT by running a Calibre conversion with the Debug option switched on you can use a text editor to examine the source HTML found in Debug's Input subdir. My guess is that you will find MS smart tags around those Place Names (Chittling Street etc).

If this is indeed the case you could do either of the following:-
  1. Try to edit them out of the HTML using the text editor if you're good with Search/Replace.

or

2. Read the HTML back into MSWord, if you have it, and re-SaveAs type Webpage-filtered. This should get rid of all "smart tags".

Either way, once you've tidyed up the HTML you can re-import into Calibre and convert in the normal way.

.. or, of course, you could just say "what the heck" I'll read it as it is, and save myself the trouble!
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
test011
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
The eject button that appears on the on the icon calls the Windows eject routine that safely remove hardware uses.
I believe that in not the case I am facing.
Because my kindle, after I click the ejejct button in calibre, still displays "USB Drive Mode" although kindle icon in calbre and Kindle drive letter in Windows Explorer disappear.

If I manually do this through "safely remove hardware" button at Windows tray or, Kindle drive letter right click->eject in Windows Explorer, it does what you are saying. But not by calibre's eject button. Probably some system-call missing.

I hope this clears up the situation.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
test011
Connoisseur

@jackie_w, thanks for the tip. I will give a look sometime, but as you said I might save myself some trouble since I'd finished reading the lit book in question last night.