Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #31
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I've been unable to download the image. I've tried three times and each time it stops at about 490MB after 5 or 6 hours. Different times of day don't seem to help. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Edit: I guess the fourth time is the charm. I downloaded it tonight is less than 15 minutes. Go figure.

Last edited by JimMcLaren; 11-10-2014 at 08:33 PM.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #32
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guang. This is great. I can see many days playing around with my new toy. I'm going to have to get back into Linux. It's been very many years since I've done anything with it. I have a 32GB disk and want to take advantage of all of it. I have a few questions.
  • Would it be better to try to extend the root partition or create a /usr partition in the unused space
  • Can these partitions be used in the kobo, particularly koreader?
  • Do you know if it's possible to access an ext4 partition in windows 7? I will be doing my research tomorrow and will let you know what I find by then if I don't hear from anyone.
Again, thanks for a great effort.
Advert
Old 11-13-2014, 04:42 AM   #33
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
  • Do you know if it's possible to access an ext4 partition in windows 7?
You might like to have a look at Ext2Fsd.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #34
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Would it be better to try to extend the root partition or create a /usr partition in the unused space
I would create a /home partition in the empty space and you could probably leave it at that. That'd mean altering /etc/fstab.

Quote:
Can these partitions be used in the kobo, particularly koreader?
Yes, but you would have to mount them.

Quote:
Do you know if it's possible to access an ext4 partition in windows 7? I will be doing my research tomorrow and will let you know what I find by then if I don't hear from anyone.
See above. I was going to say the same thing. :P
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #35
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It seems to me that a FAT32 partition for user data, would be the easier way to go. That is what is expected by the existing software.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #36
JimMcLaren
Addict

Thanks Frenzie & tshering. Installing Ext2Fsd made the file system of the linux partition readable. I think I'll follow Ken's advice and make the file system vfat. Either way I'll have to install another driver since by default windows can only see the first partition of a removable drive. Right now it's NTFS.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #37
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Frenzie & tshering. Installing Ext2Fsd made the file system of the linux partition readable. I think I'll follow Ken's advice and make the file system vfat. Either way I'll have to install another driver since by default windows can only see the first partition of a removable drive. Right now it's NTFS.
I use BOOTICEx64 to change the partition table so that I can work with all the SD partitions while in Windows7. Of course Ext2Fsd and the MiniTool Partition Wizard come in handy as well. You can view and manipulate, resizing partitions using the Partition Wizard, it can work with the SD card even when Windows won't and asks to format the card.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #38
JimMcLaren
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I use BOOTICEx64 to change the partition table so that I can work with all the SD partitions while in Windows7.
I've been using the MiniTool Partition Wizard. It makes managing the partitions easy. One problem I've been having is staying connected to the device. I've been using telnet over wifi. After 3 or 4 minutes I'll get disconnected and can't reconnect. I've tried using usbnet but can't figure that out.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #39
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
I've been using the MiniTool Partition Wizard. It makes managing the partitions easy. One problem I've been having is staying connected to the device. I've been using telnet over wifi. After 3 or 4 minutes I'll get disconnected and can't reconnect. I've tried using usbnet but can't figure that out.
I just remove the internal uSD card from my device and put it into a card reader on my PC.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #40
JimMcLaren
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I just remove the internal uSD card from my device and put it into a card reader on my PC.

Luck;
Ken
If I boot into kbmenu I can read the root partition of the linux installation. I'm hoping that I can do the same with NTFS/FAT partition once I've installed the appropriate Windows drivers. If I mount that partition in the kobo & linux I'll be good to go then. Otherwise I too will be removing the card.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #41
lonku
lonku began at the beginning.

Device: Asus EEE Note, Kobo Aura HD
I'd love to try this but I'm just not having any luck downloading the file. the download always stops about halfway

Quote:
Originally Posted by guang6321 View Post
what about using axel or other downloading tools?
how can I download this with axel? I'ved tried typing axel http://pan.baidu.com/s/1eQpcmHk but that doesn't seem to work

can someone please upload the file in multiple split zip files? it would give people with bad connections a better chance to get it
lonku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #42
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
@lonku: try DownThemAll, it's a Firefox Extension. I recommend you to set "Max Number of segments" to 10 in Preferences -> Advanced.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #43
JimMcLaren
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonku View Post
I'd love to try this but I'm just not having any luck downloading the file. the download always stops about halfway
I had the same problem at first. It would download for 5 hours then stop at about 488K. Three days later, it downloaded in 15 minutes. You'll need to be persistent. Try the DownThemAll suggested by Lucas. I've never tried using it to split large files but it's worth a shot. Perhaps one of us can find a better place to host the download.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #44
JimMcLaren
Addict

I have to say that this makes a pretty good tablet. My observations:
  1. FB Reader works really well for epub.
  2. I've been disappointed with PDF reading.
  3. Web browsing is hit or miss. You have three browsers installed and sometimes one will better than the others on some websites.
  4. Mounted my SD card FAT partition (~22GB remainng) and have my library on there.
  5. Haven't been able to mount same partition in KOBO so I would only have one library to manage.
  6. I can't figure out how to connect directly via USB
  7. I'd like to be able to install additional software. A different PDF reader & Everpad would almost complete this for me. I don't know if this is possible without recompiling the software. I've found a PDF reader that claims to run well under Wine.
  8. Telnet to the device was spotty for a while but lately it seems to have been working pretty well.
  9. The file manager on the desktop will take you to emacs to edit scripts. I found it's easier to just plug the micro sd card into my desktop and edit /etc/fstab in Notepad++. I had to use Ext2Fsd to be able to read the card.
  10. If you get into full screen mode with any of the apps, pressing the light button will bring up the top bar which has the desktop pager, home key and a few other things.
As it stands right now koreader is still my goto reader but I do like having a robust tablet with me when I want it. Many thanks to guang for doing this.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #45
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
@guang6321 Really, really nice!

@Frenzie Did you get it working on the H2O?
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote