Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
GirlCami
GirlCami began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Update Suggestion for Program

Have the latest Kindle (3). Use the Create Collections plug-in with my Calibre program, organized by Author.
After using this, noticed immediately that when there is more than 1 author: you must separate them by "&" in order for that book to be added to that author's collection.
My dad & I email books back & forth to each other. But even if I edit metadata to include the &'s separating multiple authors and/or convert the ebooks........when I "connect/share" this book to him or vice versa....when they are added to Calibre--they revert to being separated by semicolons.
Very frustrating to have to remember to go back and change the semicolons to ampersands. That is the only change that doesn't transfer over when email sharing through the program. Really wish they would allow the authors to transfer over as is instead of standardizing them to all be separated by semicolons. Is this even a possiblity for a future update?

Any helpful comments are welcomed.
GirlCami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlCami View Post
Have the latest Kindle (3). Use the Create Collections plug-in with my Calibre program, organized by Author.
After using this, noticed immediately that when there is more than 1 author: you must separate them by "&" in order for that book to be added to that author's collection.
My dad & I email books back & forth to each other. But even if I edit metadata to include the &'s separating multiple authors and/or convert the ebooks........when I "connect/share" this book to him or vice versa....when they are added to Calibre--they revert to being separated by semicolons.
Very frustrating to have to remember to go back and change the semicolons to ampersands. That is the only change that doesn't transfer over when email sharing through the program. Really wish they would allow the authors to transfer over as is instead of standardizing them to all be separated by semicolons. Is this even a possiblity for a future update?

Any helpful comments are welcomed.
GirlCami,

Welcome to Mobileread

When you say you have to separate authors by '&' in order for the book to be added to the collection, could you give a more detailed example.

Its not clear if you are asking for something in Calibre to be modified or in the Calibre Kindle Collections plugin (if that's what you are using). The plugin (if that's what you are using) reads the Author information from Calibre. Calibre stores the authors as a list of individual authors.

Either way this might be best in the Calibre forum.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
GirlCami
GirlCami began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Ok, so I send the ebook to my device & create collection under the plugin.
Eject my device & restart my kindle (per plugin instructions). If the ebook has multiple authors separated by [ ; ], it will not add that ebook to each author's collection. I have to change them in my calibre library to be separated by [ & ], then it will correct that.

I just wish there was a setting under the calibre program that you could specify how multiple authors are separated when you add the book.

Or the plugin could be changed.

Just something where I don't have to go in and manually make that change for each book with multiple authors.
GirlCami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre has always used the '&' character to separate authors. The question to identify is at what stage is this being changed to a semi-colon.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author sort, collections, kindle, plugin, update solution