Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
My system is Windows 7, very recent build, and running Calibre latest version.

Frequently when merging books, particularly if I do a number of merges close together, I get the msg window pop up with the calibre-recycle has failed.
It doesn't appear to cause any problems and I cannot work out the steps required to reproduce it - this DOES NOT MEAN that the bug doesn't exist though. Basically, since the new mechanism was implemented (placing deleted books into a temporary folder and then deleting from there), I have experienced this crash - roughly once per 50 deletions.

I also reported the issue (now fixed) of calibre creating duplicates of books under certain circumstances.

I get the crash out of calibre (a different issue to above) if I use Favourites (which I do a lot) but also if I click Open With - it's not the underlying item within favourites as it crashes before I get chance to click on anything - it's just the act of clicking the menu button that is failing.

I can live with both these issues - I'm reporting them so people realise it's probably not an issue with the OP's system's setup.

Note - I'm not complaining here -calibre is free and is a brilliant product - I'm trying to add useful info to this discussion. Perhaps I shouldn't have bothered.
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
The Op's last post showed that he exited calibre renamed the settings folder and started with a fresh setup directory. He hasn't reported back. Hopefully he will have a chance today to update us and possibly assist you with his experience with a similar issue.
There are no problems at this time.

A few weeks ago, I've replaced all (free) programs including Calibre with their latest versions by uninstalling them, removing the traces in the user directories, and then re-installing. I've done a major update/upgrade round on this computer.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.burton4 View Post
Frequently when merging books, particularly if I do a number of merges close together, I get the msg window pop up with the calibre-recycle has failed.
It doesn't appear to cause any problems and I cannot work out the steps required to reproduce it - this DOES NOT MEAN that the bug doesn't exist though. Basically, since the new mechanism was implemented (placing deleted books into a temporary folder and then deleting from there), I have experienced this crash - roughly once per 50 deletions.
This sounds like you may be running your library from Drop box or other cloud sync software.

If you follow Katsunami 's advice you may eliminate your other stability problems.

Good luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #19
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Where on earth did you get the impression I was using DropBox?
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.burton4 View Post
Where on earth did you get the impression I was using DropBox?
I said you "may be running your library from dropbox" The reason I said that was because I recall cloud sync software causing similar problems. The major cause of that recycle problem was fixed a few versions back.

You are using version 1.13, correct?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #21
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
This problem returned (still exists) in Calibre x64 on Windows 7.

I've re-installed Calibre from scratch once again (including completely wiping all Calibre folders in C:\Users), re-installed all plugins, and redid all the settings.

Even so, Calibre occasionally crashes when the Favourites butten (or menu, no difference) is clicked. If I'm adding and fixing books in the library, it can work for hours on end, but sometimes Calibre crashes multiple times within half an hour (and not always on the same book).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Katsunami, I suspect its - one of the "members".

Try progressively moving the items that me and DoctorOhh do not have in our favourites to a regular toolbar (e.g. menubar or second toolbar)

I'd start with Hyphenate - just a hunch.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote