Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #31
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Buffalo & Erie County Public Library:
1,699 ePub & PDF
388 MP3 audiobooks
2,941 WMA audiobooks
(not too bad, since they've only been doing E for about 18 months)

New York Public Library:
15,030 ePub, PDF and Mobi
10,572 audiobooks

So glad I stopped at the NYPL on vacation in 2005!
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #32
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I think it'd be a hard case to make at this point, because unless you live where most people use e-readers, the library will still have to stock print books. For popular books, that means they'd have to stock the same titles in print and digital. That doesn't mean some won't, simply to serve a wider audience (as with books in other languages at some libraries). That wouldn't save money, though.

Thats what I was afraid of.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #33
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfedelem View Post
Thats what I was afraid of.
The numbers will eventually shift, though. For instance, say you live in a town with 100,000 people who use the library. Say half start using e-readers. Maybe the town normally would buy two copies of a popular title. If half of the readers are on digital, the town could shift to buying one copy in print, one in digital, instead of two in print. Even if the digital and print versions cost the same, the digital version will last indefinitely. So you might argue savings. Of course, you might not make money from late fees if digital books are checked in automatically, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #34
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Zero in my section of NJ.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #35
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Clark County, Nevada (Las Vegas)

epub 263
pdf 3741
mobi 839

Washington DC

epub 1280
pdf 6310
mobi 3320
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #36
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Seattle: Over 21,000 eBooks, over 11,000 Overdrive Audiobooks
5004 - MobiPocket
5980 - ePub
10208 - Adobe PDF

9037 - Overdrive WMA Audiobook
2785 - Overdrive MP3 Audiobook
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:39 AM   #37
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Looks like Cleveland has the most on offer followed by Seattle.

Anyone live in LA area that can look for us?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #38
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealWinter View Post
0, I live in Australia so I guess the whole ebook thing hasn't taken over here, sigh. Anyone know of international libraries that lend out ebooks free(or small one time fee) over the internet?
I live in Australia too.
In NSW alone Overdrive lists:

Ashfield Public Library
Burwood Library
Campbelltown Library
City of Canada Bay Council
Marrickville Library Service
Penrith City Library Digital Media Collection
Randwick City Library Service
Strathfield Library
Sutherland Shire Libraries
The Hills Shire Library Service
Waverley Library
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #39
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I see others have mentioned the Buffalo & Erie County Library (NY), the Philly Free Library (PA) and the New York Public Library.

There's also

1) Queens Library (NY):
ePub: 536
PDF: 1350
Mobi: 337

2) Brooklyn Public Library (NY):

ePub: 3031
PDF: 3034
Mobi: 1903

3) Fairfax County Library (VA):

ePub: 824
PDF: 1892
Mobi: 269

* By the way - you can get a library card from Fairfax County Library by mailing in an application & $27 USD. It's good for one year. For the New York ones, although you can sign up online, you have to validate your card in person within a certain number of days.

4) And my very own local library - OWWL (Ontario, Wayne, Wyoming & Livingston county library system):
ePub: 49
PDF: 85

As they are "my" library - they are the first ones I check with and I always get books from them if they have them. They are building up their collection (very small library system) but are great. It's a money issue...

One of my favorite things is to open one of these library sites and select for a format (usually ePub) and have Overdrive show me only those fiction books that are available for checkout. Almost like wandering the shelves at the local library...

Browsing the library whilst at home! I like this e-stuff!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #40
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
San Diego County: 490 fiction and 247 non-fiction: 737 total.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #41
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Calgary Public Library:
Fiction: 3413
Nonfiction: 1383
Total: 4796

Pretty good selection if you ask me.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #42
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
The library where I am moving has none right now, but were just evaluated and told they are behind the times and "too print-centirc". They actually paid to have someone come in and write a 100 page evaluation of their system. Now some of the people in town are upset because 'libraries shouldn't change' and 'they have too many electronics in their lives'. I'm assuming that last one is talking of the children or patrons of the library. I hope they take the advice and start going digital, though I know it will take a while for it to happen.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #43
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Chicago

epub 537
pdf 1267
mobi 276

Recently, most new books are in the epub format. They have been getting 40-50 new ebooks a month, so numbers are going up quickly. Used to be just romance, now most bestsellers (if available).
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #44
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Here's a round-up of some of the SoCal libraries:

LA Public Library
epub: 3,127
pdf: 2,918
mobi:243
audiobooks: 6,364

County of LA Public Library
epub: 946
pdf: 289
mobi: 0
audiobooks: 2,704

San Diego County Public Library
epub: 676
pdf: 63
audiobooks: 1,192

San Diego Public Library
epub: 481
pdf: 0
audiobooks: 2,356

Orange County Public Library System
epub: 200
pdf: 0
audiobooks: 3,496

Pasadena/Glendale Digital Library
epub: 42
pdf: 1,192
audiobooks: 903

LAPL and CoLA pretty much have 95% of what I read - stuff that's on NYT bestseller lists. Both libraries are also active in reading purchase suggestions, and typically add books 1-2 weeks after I suggest them. Thanks to them, I haven't bought a book in months, and the waiting lists are still fairly reasonable.

Last edited by bookwerm; 07-15-2010 at 07:45 PM.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #45
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Also, any resident of CA can get a library card at any CA library - you just have to show up in person with ID. Next time I'm in Northern Cal, I may try to grab a card from San Francisco, which also has a large collection:

San Francisco Public Library
epub: 2,793
pdf: 1,389
mobi: 381
audiobooks: 1,979
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote