Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is done in most cases now is for the stupid publisher to use a graphic image when they need a character or characters not available in the default font. This is garbage for when the embedded fonts are supported. I know this works with ePub & KF8.

The problem with Kindle eBooks is the dual-format. So, can you embed fonts for use in KF8 and just use the garbage graphic image(s) for Mobi? Do the media queries allow for this?
Hi:

It allows for this, but, it can make line-spacing and other things tricky. Bear in mind that, sure, you can put a "hidden" graphic in that displays for KF7, and not for Kindlebook (KF8), and other solutions, but lately, due to various and sundry updates, I find that KF7 is increasingly supporting a wide number of things that it did not support before. I just did a test on a number of mathematic and logic symbols, and damned if it didn't work. So...hopefully, this type of kluge won't be needed much longer.

Hell, ask @Dag. He does a bunch of workarounds, even those that aren't needed any longer. He probably has the CSS down cold for it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hi:

It allows for this, but, it can make line-spacing and other things tricky. Bear in mind that, sure, you can put a "hidden" graphic in that displays for KF7, and not for Kindlebook (KF8), and other solutions, but lately, due to various and sundry updates, I find that KF7 is increasingly supporting a wide number of things that it did not support before. I just did a test on a number of mathematic and logic symbols, and damned if it didn't work. So...hopefully, this type of kluge won't be needed much longer.

Hell, ask @Dag. He does a bunch of workarounds, even those that aren't needed any longer. He probably has the CSS down cold for it.

Hitch
So on a Kindle 1st Gen, these new things work?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So on a Kindle 1st Gen, these new things work?
Hi:

A first gen? Dunno. I have a first-release K2. I don't have a first-gen. SOMEONE here does, although I don't know who that is.

Hitch
Old 02-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hi:

A first gen? Dunno. I have a first-release K2. I don't have a first-gen. SOMEONE here does, although I don't know who that is.

Hitch
Do you have to support all the old devices? And speaking of old devices, what about supporting 1st gen iPads or old iPhones with the old broken iBooks?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:59 PM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Do you have to support all the old devices? And speaking of old devices, what about supporting 1st gen iPads or old iPhones with the old broken iBooks?
We absolutely try to, Wolfie, my sweet. We make sure that every book has fallback. And yes: we test on first-Gen iPads, too. Just because Apple can afford to be so cavalier and discard all first-gens as lost causes, doesn't mean that we can.

Hitch
Advert