Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-04-2023, 02:31 PM   #1
2scre
Zealot
2scre began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Copying and pasting to a browser from Windows

When I try doing that in Windows, all the formatting is lost (bold, italic, etc), unlike in Mac where the formatting is still there.

Is there a way to do this on a Windows computer without having to switch to Mac?
2scre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 02:58 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Are you talking about copying from Sigil? If so, do you mean from Preview?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2023, 03:39 PM   #3
2scre
Zealot

Yes, Sigil.

From Book View. I'm using version 0.9.14
Old 10-04-2023, 04:14 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Try copying and pasting in a recent version of PageEdit, or Sigil. If that does not work, you are out of luck as that old old version of Sigil (0.9.14) is riddled with security issues and bugs and no longer supported.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 05:55 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Usually whatever you're pasting into must be able to handle rich text to get the "Paste Special" option on Windows. Something like Word or LibreOffice. I've not seen many forms in browsers that would accept rich text on any platform (assuming you're talking about pasting into some sort of textbox on a website [like this one]).

What exactly do you mean by "paste to a browser"?
Advert
Old 10-05-2023, 01:46 PM   #6
2scre
Zealot

For example, pasting into a gmail textbox or when writing a blog post on Blogger.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:17 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just so that I can understand what you are trying to do .... you have an epub open in an ancient version of Sigil in BookBrowser and are trying to copy formatted text to the clipboard from it that you the paste into a web browser window someplace? You are not trying to paste into Sigil.

Is that correct?

If so I am not sure if this is even a Sigil issue at all. Once you copy the text, examine your system clipboard to see what mimetypes are supported by what you copied. If it includes rich text or html, then the issue is with the browser you are pasting into.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:38 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

No problem pasting rich text from the latest Sigil's Preview into GMail on Windows (Chrome). All formatting retained. Were you also using Sigil 0.9.14 on Mac where you said it worked?

Preview also existed in 0.9.14. Try copying from that and see if you have any better luck than when copying from Book View (or try a different browser on Windows). If nothing there works, there's not a whole lot we can do about it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-05-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:08 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe the OP is running a utility (e.g. PureText, AHK script) that scrubs markup when text is copied to the clipboard.

When the Windows Clipboard History feature was in 'beta' it had an option to do the same, not sure if that option made to release version.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 09:44 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Maybe the OP is running a utility (e.g. PureText, AHK script) that scrubs markup when text is copied to the clipboard.
That very-well could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
When the Windows Clipboard History feature was in 'beta' it had an option to do the same, not sure if that option made to release version.
I had to opt-in to the Clipboard History feature, but I see no option to scrub markup from the history items in the release version (nor was any formatting scrubbed when pasting historical data into gmail).

However... it appears that CTRL+SHIFT+V (instead of the typical CTRL+V) will strip the formatting of clipboard data when pasting.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-06-2023 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2023, 05:52 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
. . .
However... it appears that CTRL+SHIFT+V (instead of the typical CTRL+V) will strip the formatting of clipboard data when pasting.
that would have been what I saw… about 5 years ago.

The Insider Preview (beta) was on a friend's PC; knowing I used a clipboard utility she gave me a demo of the upcoming MS Clipboard History feature. Markup scrubbing is one of the features I use in Clipboard Fusion, so I would have raised it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:41 PM   #12
2scre
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Were you also using Sigil 0.9.14 on Mac where you said it worked?
Yes.

Quote:
Preview also existed in 0.9.14. Try copying from that and see if you have any better luck than when copying from Book View (or try a different browser on Windows). If nothing there works, there's not a whole lot we can do about it.
I just tried it but it didn't work with Chrome nor Edge.
Maybe if I downloaded the newest version of Sigil to use it for copy and pasting it will work...
Old 02-25-2024, 09:31 AM   #13
2scre
Zealot

Is there a way to download the newest version of Sigil without getting rid of 0.9.14 version so I can use both?
Old 02-25-2024, 09:54 AM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes if on macOS. My only worry is about collisions with changes in ini files but the latest Sigil uses qt6 based ini file names.

It is easy enough to test.

Sigil.app on a macOS is a completely relocatable application. So you could easily just rename the 0.9.14 app to Sigil-old.app to prevent overwrite. Then download the latest Sigil.app from our releases and unpack it. The resulting new Sigil.app file can be run from anyplace. It need not be copied to the /Applications folder to work

I often do this with the previous release and the upcoming release when doing comparison testing.

I have no idea if this is possible on Windows or Linux.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-25-2024 at 09:57 AM.