Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #61
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have Prime to get the videos. $79/12= $6.58/mo; which is cheaper than Netflix's $7.99/mo. So shipping is free and this library is free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
This page states that the only Amazon Instant Video compatible mobile device is the Kindle Fire. Is that correct???

Tubemonkey, you said that you stream Prime videos on your TouchPad. I've been looking at tablets and I've also been considering Amazon Prime. Does anyone know where I can find out which tablets work with Amazon Prime streaming video? I'm so confused.
Quote:
Amazon is my shepherd; I shall not want. They maketh me to lie down in green circuit boards: they leadeth me beside the still ebooks. They restoreth my cloud: they leadeth me in the paths of 1-click shopping for their profit's sake. Yea, though I surf through the valley of the DRM of death, I will fear no website: for they art with me; thy Kindle and thy Prime they comfort me. They preparest a tablet before me in the presence of mine enemies: they filleth my Fire with apps; my GBs runneth over. Surely streaming and downloading shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of Amazon for ever.
Giggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Interesting. I wonder if they will ever unbundle it from prime so that people who are only interested in books can check out books? I'm not a prime member and I don't use movies or music. But I'd be interested in the book feature--just not for 80 bucks a year.

It sounds like a test program too--not all the publishers wanted to opt in, so Amazon actually buys the book and lends the license.
Amazon is clearly setting things up so that the Fire is that much more attractive. The possibility of free books and the video streaming and the shipping is making me think about asking for Amazon Gift Certificates to become a Prime member for Christmas. If I can use Amazon's video service on my netbook or tablet (if I get one) when I travel and at home on my TV and I can borrow books that I want to read and don't want to wait for at the library, then life is really good.

And announcing it the same day that BN announces whatever it is announcing, I am guessing a Nook Color 2, is a nice touch. Yeah they have a new device. We have a new device and for a pretty low cost you can stream videos for free and now borrow 12 brand new books for free, with no wait at the library and without worrying about dealing with disgruntled librarians.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #62
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I don't. For the most part, I avoid them; unless it's from a well known and reputable company. I also avoid eBay and PayPal at all costs and will never do business with either.

But then, shipping isn't why I got Prime.
Now see I use them all. I get good deals on stuff that way. Paypal is awesome for shopping for books. Fictionwise, Kobo and Books on Board all take Paypal. I get used paperbacks through eBay and Amazon Merchants. I prefer eBay because I get shipping either free or near free. Albris also takes Paypal so sometimes I use them for my real book needs.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #63
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

I see a future for this thread in the P&R subforum!
I already reported his post! NOT
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #64
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I am a prime member and currently in Australia. I just borrowed the Courteous Cad out of interest (and burned up one of my borrows) but was curious to see how it worked. It did! Also, on the kindle the price is quite obvious to non prime members.Our internet plan is unlimited at speeds of around 10mbps. A 1 gig movie takes about 30 mins to download but streaming is seamless.
That is is the third in a series by the way. It's an inspirational novel too. The first in the series was given away for free a month or so ago so now I have to wait for a good deal on the second one.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #65
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Is this feature still being rolled-out? I am not seeing "Kindle Owners Lending Library" or "Borrow for Free" on my Kindle. I see on a book that says "0.00" next to "prime", but it only gives me an option of "buy for $x.xx".
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #66
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
Is this feature still being rolled-out? I am not seeing "Kindle Owners Lending Library" or "Borrow for Free" on my Kindle. I see on a book that says "0.00" next to "prime", but it only gives me an option of "buy for $x.xx".
You have to do it through the device.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #67
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just ran across this:

http://gizmodo.com/5855981/game-over...t-deal-in-tech
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #68
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Amazon is a business. It's out to get as much of your money as possible just like everyone else, and Prime is highly addictive crack for impulse shoppers. But now that Amazon has so many of us hooked, it's going after more than just our deliveries—Bezos & Co are hoping to knock out some competitors too: Apple. Netflix. The reigning champs. Luckily, we can welcome these pushers to our street corner. Their war is our gain.
I love it!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #69
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
And Amazon's just getting started. Kindle Prime is expanding and soon will become a serious threat to Netflix and Hulu Plus; and all for just $6.58 a month.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #70
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Why didn't my item qualify for Prime shipping?
Merchants that use Amazon to warehouse and ship their items DO qualify for Prime, and there are a lot of them. I never shop Amazon without hitting that Prime Eligible button.

I've been a Prime member for 6 years - first got the trial the year I was on pregnancy bed rest during holiday shopping. And then I discovered they offered diapers for auto-ship, and never looked back. Due to allergies, there are a few specific name brands we need to buy, and I earn back my $79 every year in the first 3 months. Not only is the auto-ship price 15% cheaper, but I don't have to waste gas running all over town and I don't have to worry about running out of necessities.

The Prime video and Kindle features are just perks, but that, and the ease of public library lending, are making me seriously consider buying a Kindle Touch. Up to now, I've just used my iOS apps, but I do miss having an e-Ink reader on my morning commute.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #71
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And Amazon's just getting started. Kindle Prime is expanding and soon will become a serious threat to Netflix and Hulu Plus; and all for just $6.58 a month.
Yep....

Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #72
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Merchants that use Amazon to warehouse and ship their items DO qualify for Prime, and there are a lot of them. I never shop Amazon without hitting that Prime Eligible button.
So fulfillment by Amazon items is covered by Prime?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Put one of the books you're interested in into the cart and see if Prime is a shipping option.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #74
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Yes. I try to find stuff that's fulfilled by them before I consider others. Simply so I don't have to pay for shipping.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #75
kennyc

Quote:
Yes. At least it counts for the "Free Shipping" thing so I would assume Prime as well.