Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
DXG disable indexing without jailbreak?

Hi, my DXG is coming up to the end of it's warranty, so I'm no longer concerned about keeping it standard.

I'm happy with most things - I'd like new screensavers, but I'm not bothered enough to do anything about it, I only see them for a second between opening the case and waking it up after all.

Indexing however, is a right pain. Several times I've had to delete all indexes and let it re-do the lot to improve battery life. In almost a year of use and over 130 books read, I've never used the search facility. So I'd like to disable indexing.

Without going to the extent of a jailbreak, can that be done? So far the only change I've made is the minor and easily reversible one to decrease the margins, I'm hoping that something as simple as that can be done to the indexing.

I have done a search, but keep coming up against the "jailbreak first" barrier and, with most things working fine, I don't really want to do that.

Thanks
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bumping my own question here, sorry.

This has been up for a week now, 515 reads and no answers, can anyone even tell me if this ISN'T possible?

Thanks
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Not sure if DXG works the same as K3, but try this thread instead: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101364
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Not sure if DXG works the same as K3, but try this thread instead: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101364
upgrade your DXG to run 3.2.1, then you can do the debug trick suggested from the poster above.

running 3.2.1 is well worth the effort without control over indexing.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Bricorn
Addict

Amazon are still on 2.5.8 for the DXG, so that's not an option.

I'll try the "set attr. "read only" to Index.db in Search Indexes" tip and see what happens for now.

Thanks
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
Amazon are still on 2.5.8 for the DXG, so that's not an option.
It IS an option:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127969
Old 09-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Not according to the requirements set in the OP:

"DXG disable indexing without jailbreak?"

There is no non-hacking way to upgrade the DXG's firmware to 3.2.1. "Non-hacking" seems to be a requirement for Bricorn to consider it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Bricorn
Addict

Quote:
Thank you but no. I see no need to go that far just to kill indexing.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
WS64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"Non-hacking" seems to be a requirement for Bricorn to consider it.
ooops, sorry, my mistake!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
Bricorn
Addict

Quote:
ooops, sorry, my mistake!
Thanks for trying anyway.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
Bricorn
Addict

Just thought I'd update this. Indexing was stopped but battery life dropped to 4-5 days so I've started it again.

Thanks all for trying anyway.