Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 05:14 AM   #16
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
And with that you convert a perfectly compliant "font-variant: small-caps", into a not-in-spec "text-transfor: uppercase". It might work in ADE, it might work in "more readers", but it's not a supported property.

Don't misunderstand me, it's probably an acceptable interim solution, but if no one uses small-caps because they are not supported by ADE, then ADE will see no reason to support something nobody uses.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
goroke
goroke began at the beginning.

Device: none
Actually, ADE is not my concern; I don't have a mobile device. I use Calibre's reader for most things, and Sigil for editing. Both of them do really bizarre display things when the correct small-caps code and justification are used together. If it were just a matter of them ignoring the instruction and displaying in normal mixed case, I would just live with that and code it all correctly...

As I noted above, the only thing I have to do to make this "perfectly compliant" is to change the definition in my CSS -- unless there is some sort of compliance issue with my placing the kludged "small-caps" code only around the letters to be affected, rather than the correct code around an entire word or phrase.

I read your earlier comments carefully, which is why I used this approach rather than to simply type in regular caps and just use the reduced size and give up on the correct method altogether.
goroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert