Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 04:08 AM   #46
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
No, you still pay for it because monopolist telcos charge a fortune whenever they can is actually the reason.

Amazon has cut a deal with some providers - e.g. so in Australia we don't have to pay for this any more for example. If in a smaller market than that though with one phone company, it might last forever.
The problem with that is that Amazon still charges you even if you only own a Wi-Fi Kindle or if you buy for reading on PC or phone. So lets say I want something on my Android phone. I have to pay $2 for Whispernet delivery while I also pay my data carrier for the file download. Same goes for the PC app.

At the very least Amazon could make the Whispernet fee an optional extra to select when buying a book. It offers no value whatsoever for people with Wi-Fi Kindles or people using other devices.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:24 AM   #47
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
The problem with that is that Amazon still charges you even if you only own a Wi-Fi Kindle or if you buy for reading on PC or phone. So lets say I want something on my Android phone. I have to pay $2 for Whispernet delivery while I also pay my data carrier for the file download. Same goes for the PC app.
At the very least Amazon could make the Whispernet fee an optional extra to select when buying a book. It offers no value whatsoever for people with Wi-Fi Kindles or people using other devices.
Exactly
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #48
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, if your reading program or device of choice uses ePub, then AZW is rather useless.
Ummm... and if your reading program or device of choice uses MOBI, then EPUB is rather useless. Would you argue that authors and publishers should not be given any choice in where there books should be sold? And if Amazon is somehow evil for not using EPUB, what about those online retailers who don't use MOBI? Somehow less evil?

Quote:
And given how rather poor the coding inside a lot of Mobipocket eBooks is, converting can take a lot of time to clean up the mess.
The file format has nothing to do with how well or poorly a book is coded - that's entirely down to the expertise/diligence of whoever is responsible for the book.

Quote:
And for a lot of people who do not use Kindles or Kindle software and who do not DRM strip and/or convert, these Einstein eBooks are a lost cause.
And for anyone who chooses not to read electronic books one could say the same thing. Does that make anyone who only publishes a book in electronic format similarly dastardly and greedy and evil?

Look... I'd much rather see books published in as many formats as possible, but I simply can't agree that publishing in MOBI format only and selling books via a company that provides free applications to enable users of a wide range of devices to read the books, is somehow locking books away from 99% of the population, which is how you're portraying it. If someone chooses not to use a free app, that's their choice - but they can't then turn round and say "you won't let me read that book" simply because it isn't compatible with the specific device they prefer to use.

Last edited by DMSmillie; 03-15-2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: typo
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:00 AM   #49
NoBull_Steve
Author
NoBull_Steve began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Some verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting things are going to go on behind the scenes over the next two years with these "exclusive rights". There are THOUSANDS of living authors whose titles either have reverted rights back to them or never had digital rights to their books to begin with. We're going to see them coming out of the woodwork this and next year. And why shouldn't we?

They wrote publishable books that were (mostly) neglected by their publishers and are now ready for a rebirth. I worry about the "exclusivity" that's seeming to happen...both with individual book rights and with a certain company with the name of a fruit used to bring man to a fall from grace....

But in the long run, all roads that fill author pockets with money means more and better choices for the consumer!!!

IMO!
NoBull_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:00 AM   #50
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Good point!
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #51
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBull_Steve View Post
Some verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting things are going to go on behind the scenes over the next two years with these "exclusive rights". There are THOUSANDS of living authors whose titles either have reverted rights back to them or never had digital rights to their books to begin with. We're going to see them coming out of the woodwork this and next year. And why shouldn't we?

They wrote publishable books that were (mostly) neglected by their publishers and are now ready for a rebirth. I worry about the "exclusivity" that's seeming to happen...both with individual book rights and with a certain company with the name of a fruit used to bring man to a fall from grace....

But in the long run, all roads that fill author pockets with money means more and better choices for the consumer!!!

IMO!
you mean a pomegranate?
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Personally, I am against exclusivity for eBooks. I don't want to see an eBook come out in just one format. These days they should be in two formats at least those being ePub & Mobi. LIT is dead so that's not going to happen and I think eReader is mostly dead but it still possible for that format.

So really, there should be no real reason for exclusivity. All that does is piss people off and generate overall lower revenue for the publisher and/or author.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #53
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Personally, I am against exclusivity for eBooks. I don't want to see an eBook come out in just one format. These days they should be in two formats at least those being ePub & Mobi. LIT is dead so that's not going to happen and I think eReader is mostly dead but it still possible for that format.

So really, there should be no real reason for exclusivity. All that does is piss people off and generate overall lower revenue for the publisher and/or author.
ever encounter the situation where a bookstore did not carry any books from a particular publisher because the publisher cut a deal with a different store?

And I do hear what you are trying to express. I too wish there was a genuinely open format w/o DRM but that is not the real world and never will be. So best I see we can do is work with what we have. In that light Kindle books are no less open than DRM'd EPUB. Both have reader apps which work on pretty much all platforms, even Sony is taking a whack at a reader app these days.

So, I don't see the issue other than a given brand of store owned reader does not read the format of the other company. Yet is someone owns a device that is not branded to a bookstore odds are high there is the ability to run an app for both.

Like I wrote, I hear what you are saying, just it's not gonna work that way, yet. Critical mass in terms of ebook sales has yet to be achieved. Plus I have yet to find a book I wanted that Amazon has not carried yet another bookstore did. Long as this is the case, I don't care and I expect to be long dead before that is a real issue, if it ever becomes one.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #54
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
ever encounter the situation where a bookstore did not carry any books from a particular publisher because the publisher cut a deal with a different store?
Not the same thing at all. Notwithstanding the fact that first sale doctrine gives all bookstores the right to sell books from all publishers, you can still get the book in the format of your choice (incidentally the only one available for pbooks). The problem here is not that Amazon sells the book exclusively, the issue is that they only do so for their own walled-garden devices.

Quote:
I too wish there was a genuinely open format w/o DRM
DRM is the problem. If it weren't for encryption converting files would be a non-issue.

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 03-15-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #55
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
The problem here is not that Amazon sells the book exclusively, it's the issue is that they only do so for their own walled-garden devices.
Ahem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
Quote:
All Open Roads are closed to anyone without a Kindle.
...or a Windows PC, or a Mac, or an iPad, or an iPhone, or a Blackberry, or an Android phone, or a Windows phone...
"Walled-garden" devices? That's a big garden!
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #56
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Neither my ereader (Pocketbook) nor my Linux-based PC will officially support Amazon ebooks. So, yes, I'm obviously on the other side of that wall (and couldn't care less, just making a principle point here).
Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #57
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
But, if your reading program or device of choice uses ePub, then AZW is rather useless. nd given how rather poor the coding inside a lot of Mobipocket eBooks is, converting can take a lot of time to clean up the mess.

And for a lot of people who do not use Kindles or Kindle software and who do not DRM strip and/or convert, these Einstein eBooks are a lost cause.
Amazon has made it so you can read their books without removing DRM. If you chose not to use one of the free apps that is your problem. It is available legally and easily to everyone.

If you want to take an extra minute you can read it on your EPub reader. If you are concerned about thelagality/ethics of doing so, you can read it on any number of other devices.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #58
rogue_librarian
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Amazon has made it so you can read their books without removing DRM.
Not on my choice of devices and Operating Systems, no.

Quote:
If you want to take an extra minute you can read it on your EPub reader.
Oh, I can strip the DRM easily enough. Question is, why bother? If I'm willing the resort to questionable legal tactics there are probably easier ways.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #59
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Not on my choice of devices and Operating Systems, no.

Oh, I can strip the DRM easily enough. Question is, why bother? If I'm willing the resort to questionable legal tactics there are probably easier ways.
The key word is choice. If you have a choice you are not excluded. If you choose to not use the free, legal apps then you have decided that you don't want to read the book. That is your choice. Which you have acknowledged but many others fail to acknowledge.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #60
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
If you choose to not use the free, legal apps then you have decided that you don't want to read the book. That is your choice.
I'm not on rogue_librarian's "side" on this particular thread topic, but he/she is correct in saying that Amazon has alienated the Linux desktop user. There is no native "app for that."

(yes, I realize that Kindle for PC will now run under Wine, but that leaves Linux diehards with a sour taste in their mouth)

Your device runs on Linux, so please be kind enough to release a version of your reading app that runs natively on that particular platform... you've already done it for every other platform under the sun.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote