Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
srascal
Epubs for Cylons
srascal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Unhappy Epub to mobi not recognizing media queries

Hi, I have a beautiful, perfectly functioning epub with several media queries in it for various Kindles. When I converted from epub to mobi (both old and new) in Calibre, much of the KF8 CSS was stripped right out. I unzipped the mobi file using Mobi Unpack and the results only added to my confusion as new properties were being applied to text, such as the entries in my table of contents suddenly being all-caps.

When I convert this epub using KindleGen, there are no problems whatsoever. However, I cannot use KindleGen for this particular project.

I removed media query references and converted the epub again using Calibre, and boom! everything worked great. All of my font-faces showed up, as well as other KF8 styling. Unfortunately the mobi looks pretty weird on the legacy Kindle now, however, since I can't target it.

Can anyone confirm that media queries are not recognized by Calibre when converting from epub to mobi? Does anyone have any advice on how to incorporate media queries into a Calibre mobi?

Thank you
srascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not support amzn-* media queries, which are a kindlegen specific kludge. You should never leave such media queries in a final epub.

The way conversion works in calibre, you cannot use different sets for css for the different parts of a single mobi file, as all css processing happens long before the output stage.

You can use different css for creating a mobi6 and an azw3 file separately, using the extra css feature, but not for a joint mobi.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
srascal
Epubs for Cylons
srascal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and explain the Calibre conversion process. I get it. Best, Amy
srascal is offline   Reply With Quote