Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 01:57 AM   #1
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
PB302 vs PB632

I have an old PB302 - which is starting to age and fail on me. The USB port has started to fail - sometimes fails to read books in. Otherwise it is still going strong. I am surprised that the battery has lasted this long (but I have a spare).

I go camping a bit and I need a nightlight. So the Touch Lux model looks good.

I also read left handed a lot, so the fact that the PB302 has hardware buttons that I can reassign is a top feature. ie I assign both bottom buttons on the PB302 to 'Page Forward'. This means I can use either my left or right hand to read. Or I can swipe the screen. All very flexible.

I am looking at a new ereader with basically the same features. I note that the PB623 has hardware buttons - although not as good as the PB302. Can these be reassigned in the software? Alternatively, can it be used left-handed?

I am also looking at the Kobo Aura HD, but that uses an internal DB like Kindle, so that makes putting books on the thing a real pain. You have to setup Collections, etc using Calibre. The Kobo is pretty fast though, whereas the PB623 (like the PB302) seems very underpowered.

I just love the way Pocketbooks just read folder structures - not a DB. Well, at least the PB302 does - are the newer PB models the same?

I have found a seller in Australia, so that is good news. The PB623 is about the same price as the Kobo Aura HD, so these things are not cheap.

Your comments welcome....

Last edited by kgn; 02-20-2014 at 03:50 PM.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
There is no such thing as a PB632. You mean PB623 (I assume)

Yes, you can reassign keys.

Also, the default settings for the touch zones are designed so that you can use it with either hand. (Tap mid left or mid right to page forward, tap bottom left or bottom right to go one page back).

There is a version of Coolreader that you can install yourself on the PB readers that in addition allows you to reassign (and even resize) touch zones.

New PocketBook models still read folder structures.

Note that there is a successor to the PB623 out now, the PB626 or Touch Lux 2. Improved hardware features but audio support has gone.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
There is no such thing as a PB632. You mean PB623 (I assume)
I do

Quote:
New PocketBook models still read folder structures.
Excellent!

Quote:
Note that there is a successor to the PB623 out now, the PB626 or Touch Lux 2. Improved hardware features but audio support has gone.
I did not see that - will check it out. It was one thing that was putting me off the PB range...
Old 02-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
I could not see it mentioned on the website...but will check it out
Old 02-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
For whatever reason they seem to sell the 626 only in Russia.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
For whatever reason they seem to sell the 626 only in Russia.
Not that much better specs anyway. Slightly faster CPU and more RAM. The battery is also bigger, which is a plus. The problem is that it is a different thickness, so there are no specific covers that fit it. Well, none that I could find, anyway. That alone - and the fact that you don't seem to be able to buy it anyway - makes it a non viable purchase for me.

Actually, getting ANY model Pocketbook seems a pretty hard thing to do. It is like they don't want to sell them, or something.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #7
kgn
Groupie

Well, I made the decision - I just ordered the PB 623.