Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Baen's Torch of Freedom CD is now available

I have made the bind-in promotional CD for Baen's newly released David Weber/Eric Flint Honorverse novel Torch of Freedom available on my site.

You can find it at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/.

It's free. It's legal.
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Yayyy!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thanks for this, Dahak.

Looks like your site is taking a heavy hit from all the people eager to download this new CD.
I'll try to connect again in a few hours.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Same here. Let's just wait a little while before trying again. There's enough for everybody there, I gather!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Really, why do I bother to buy these books if they give them away for free the very next day?
Never mind, support Baen!
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
It's free. It's legal.
And much appreciated. Now downloaded. Thank you.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:

I have made the bind-in promotional CD for Baen's newly released David Weber/Eric Flint Honorverse novel Torch of Freedom available on my site.

You can find it at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/.

It's free. It's legal.

Thanks - can't access the Bolo! book by the looks - something to do with the punctuation - or other bug?

Cheers,

bt
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Just finished reading Torch of Freedom (hardcover version) last night. It was a middling effort by Weber and Flint. The first book was much better. I found the opening of Torch dragging and confusing.

Unlike in other books, such as in the books of the series that began with Off Armageddon Reef, in Torch the authors expect you to remember a great deal of what they wrote in the preceding book. They give vague allusions to the background but not enough information to really bring back recall. Also, the story doesn't flow as well as in other collaborations. In addition, the characters this go round seem to be more wooden and have sudden changes in theri lives. For example, Berry Zilwicki seems to become instantaneously smitten with Hugh Arai, little to no development of the relationship, yet the book ends with what clearly is the begiining of a long-term relationship between the two.

If I had to rate Torch I would give it (i.e., 3 out of 5); Crown of Slaves was a (5 out of 5).

Last edited by rhadin; 11-24-2009 at 02:12 PM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
Really, why do I bother to buy these books if they give them away for free the very next day?
Never mind, support Baen!
LOL, I bought this ebook on the first of November along with the rest of the November Webscription, I am happy to see the CD though. There is always a lot of goodies on it although I probably own 99% of them.

I recommended Dragon Ring to my sister and she went searching for the paper book version in book stores in the San Francisco area and had zero luck. I'm buying the book as a hardcover for about ten times the price I paid for the ebook off the internet for her for Christmas.

Baen Books and Webscriptions are awesome.

Thanks Dahak

LOL again Torch of Freedom is not on the CD, didn't make the pressing. As I suspected I have everything else but there are some great stories there for those who haven't been into Baen Books. BTW these are all in multiple formats so whatever your reader there are ebooks for you!

Last edited by NormHart; 11-24-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Arrrrg, brownies!!!
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
I also have to agree with rhadin's review, in fact I'm not sure I would give it a three even. Seems more like a rehash of events in several other HH books with little new, more of a teaser for future works than anything. Worth getting if you are a died in the wool HH fan or if you are getting it at Webscription prices. Otherwise give The Torch of Freedom a pass.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
If I had to rate Torch I would give it (i.e., 3 out of 5); Crown of Slaves was a (5 out of 5).
You liked Crown of Slaves that much? When I read it, if I remember the book correctly, it didn't even seem to fit into the Honorverse at all. If it weren't for the shared character names I might have thought it belonged to a completely different series. I don't know if that was because it had more Eric Flint and less David Weber, or if they decided to take a slightly different tone since the focus wasn't on Honor Harrington, but I felt let down by the book.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I liked Crown of Slaves. I wasn't thinking about whether it fit into Honorverse, I liked it as a story and book. Generally, I like David Weber's writing since I discovered him through Baen last year. Consequently, I now order hardcover copies of his books just because they have his name as author. But Torch was a disappointment. Almost like he was asked to have something out for the holiday season and so he slapped something together or didn't give it much input, leaving the writing to Eric Flint.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
It's free. It's legal.
It's down ><

Oh well I can wait

(great service, haven't said that recently)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
I liked Crown of Slaves very much - especially 'my poor Victor' - and I hope I will enjoy Torch as well (I hope so despite the above reviews...). Which as it turned out, is not on the CD so I don't even need to feel bad for buying it anymore

Interestingly, it seems to me the only thing that differentiates the Torch of Freedom CD from the Storm From the Shadows CD, is that Storm From the Shadows is now on the Torch of Freedom CD.

Last edited by Bald Eagle; 11-24-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
I liked Crown of Slaves very much - especially 'my poor Victor' - and I hope I will enjoy Torch as well (I hope so despite the above reviews...).
Bald Eagle, I may be giving you the wrong impression. I'm not sorry that I bought Torch of Freedom; in fact, I stayed up last night several extra hours to finish it. My review is in comparison to Crown of Slaves, which I consider to be the significantly better book, and to the Safehold Series' first two books Off Armageddon Reef and By Schism Rent Asunder, both of which were sole authored by Weber. Torch is still a good read, just not equivalent to Crown or the other two books. You will enjoy Torch, just not as much (in my not-so-humble opinion).

Last edited by rhadin; 11-25-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added missing "and" so a sentence makes sense