Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-22-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
chippewapub
eBook Publisher
chippewapub began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire 21
Cool Conversion Tools for OSX

I don't want to use Microsoft Windows to do this. Right now with my Mac OSX machine I can convert to PDF, PDB, and HTML. I want to be able to convert to .LIT, iSilo, .KML, and others.

Is there a way to do this with one converter or manually with HTML or XML? I'd really not like to open VirtualPC and use Windows.

Thanks,
Rebecca
chippewapub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I know that iSiloX (with and without GUI) is available for Mac OS. As for LIT, I have the weird feeling in my stomache that Microsoft doesn't support the Mac platform.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Convert LIT - Apparently has an OSX binary, sitting right there on their front page. I haven't tried it though. And I think it only goes LIT -> something else, not the other way around...

Alex already got iSiloX covered... And I've never even heard of a KML format...
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
chippewapub
eBook Publisher
chippewapub began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire 21
Thanks for the info, both of you! I will check it out.

Rebecca
chippewapub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
blunty
Enthusiast
blunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone5, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Vox
I would be glad to know if this answer comes up as well. I suspect there will be no joy for LIT as the Microsoft reader is so 'fussy' on the PC. Try doing anything with Firefox for example and eventually you will have to give up and use the dreadful IE. This includes sites like Fictionwise which will just tell you your reader is not activated if you try to download a Secure Microsoft Reader book through Firefox.

I am afraid windows will probably be the answer for a while. The good news is that Parallels runs windows really well on a mac.

Pete
blunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunty View Post
I would be glad to know if this answer comes up as well. I suspect there will be no joy for LIT as the Microsoft reader is so 'fussy' on the PC. Try doing anything with Firefox for example and eventually you will have to give up and use the dreadful IE. This includes sites like Fictionwise which will just tell you your reader is not activated if you try to download a Secure Microsoft Reader book through Firefox.

I am afraid windows will probably be the answer for a while. The good news is that Parallels runs windows really well on a mac.

Pete
If that's all we need MSIE for (that and Windows update) we are doing well.

That said, do not update your reader's firmware on a copy of Windows running under Parallels. Always use a true copy of Windows. You do not want the USB port emulation to brick your reader if it's not functioning like it should.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
blunty
Enthusiast
blunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone5, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If that's all we need MSIE for (that and Windows update) we are doing well.

That said, do not update your reader's firmware on a copy of Windows running under Parallels. Always use a true copy of Windows. You do not want the USB port emulation to brick your reader if it's not functioning like it should.
A bit difficult if you only have a Mac! But I do try to use IE as seldom as possible.
blunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunty View Post
A bit difficult if you only have a Mac! But I do try to use IE as seldom as possible.
There are already known cases of a firmware update bricking the Sony when used with Parallels. The thing is, you do not want to use Windows emulation for anything that requires USB sensitive operations such as a firmware upgrade and that's not just for the Sony Reader, but for ANY device at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote