Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
decoder
decoder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Touch, WiFi, Note taking, PDF support

Hi,

This might have been asked already, but I am a newbie and I badly need an e-reader (never thought I would, ever want one earlier) and any suggestions from the good and kind bookies here.

1) This e-reader should have touch (as opposed to all the annoying buttons of the Kindle 3 or DX).

2) Should be able to highlight / mark / strike off text, take notes and save them.

3) I have more than a 100 PDF files on my computer related to Mathematics, Programming, and Electrical Engineering. I want the reader to support such free PDF files them. Also, need support for scanned PDF files.

4) Display (decent enough to read). Can be e-Ink or back-lit LCD, no issues with either (prefer e-Ink though)

5) I don't want 3G or Edge or Whispernet. Just WiFi would be fine.

6) Should feel light in hand. (If it's more than 500 grams, holding it would be straining the muscles after a while)

7) Price <= $280.

Can some one throw some light and advise please?

Thanks in advance,
Olive Riley.
decoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
hwangeruk
hwangeruk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Nook Touch
Kobo Touch

Both just announced.
hwangeruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
niether of those will do well although the Kobo's pan would help.

Onyx M90

9.7" Pearl Eink Display
1600 mAh battery
WiFI , Browser
Digitizer Stylus
SDHC (32GB max)
2GB on board storage

330grams

Handwriting Recognition, Text to Speech, Dictionary

Supported Formats

ADE EPUB and PDF , EPUB PDF DOC DOCx XLS PPT PPTX CHM PDB MOBIPOCKT FB2 DJVU TXT HTML

MP3 WAV JPEG PNG BMP TIFF GIF

same price as Kindle DX. Available in a week or two.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=m90

also https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127120
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
similar thread you might want to read https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132246
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
LucidDreams
Tech Reader
LucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder View Post
3) I have more than a 100 PDF files on my computer related to Mathematics, Programming, and Electrical Engineering. I want the reader to support such free PDF files them. Also, need support for scanned PDF files.

4) Display (decent enough to read). Can be e-Ink or back-lit LCD, no issues with either (prefer e-Ink though)
Because of those two items I would recommend an Apple iPad (certified refurbished for $349). The main reason for suggesting a color LCD device over non-color eInk is that you will be reading technical PDF files. In particular you mentioned Electrical Engineering which will most likely make references to color items in a photo or diagram.

Just make sure that whatever you get that it has a large screen. More so for the types of PDFs that you'll be reading. Such documents don't display well on smaller screens (6" eInk). And zooming and panning a PDF on a eReader is a painful way to read.

Until large screen, affordable, color eInk devices are available you're limited to a LCD tablet. I only recommend the iPad because of it's price and large app base.
LucidDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
You could also have a look at the Sony PRS-950, on sale for $200 at Best Buy. It has a 7 inch screen (if you are looking for something very portable. If not, I would suggest that you try to get a larger screen).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote