Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Asus Transformer

I was able to get my hands on one of the hard to find Asus Transformer tablets yesterday. It is a very, very nice tablet. I have a Viewsonic gTab which is fun to try out new ROMs but the screen is lacking.

The Transformer has an IPS screen which has very good viewing angles. With the Viewsonic I needed to be within a couple of degrees of parallel in portrait mode or the screen would look off.

Out of the box, the Asus ships with Honeycomb and there is an update available at Asus. They removed an OTA update that apparently bricked a few units. I was able to update with no problems. The TF comes with an ebook app that will do split pages in landscape mode. I haven't played with it yet, darn work gets in the way but from what I've read the app supports epub.

The interface is very snappy, video works great and all the apps I've tried work flawlessly. Asus includes a lot of apps that I haven't looked at but the TF has serious potential as both a work and a play machine.

Physically, the TF is very thin (half the thickness of the gTab) and a little lighter. The case is actually a dark textured brown and slightly curved so it fits well in your hands.

I have the dock on order and have no idea when I'll see it but the dock is why I am trying out the TF. I'm seeing the TF as a laptop/netbook replacement.

If you can find one, you won't be disappointed in the Asus Transformer.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
How does it feel in your hands? Does it feel well-made and solid? When you're holding it, could you see it feeling somewhat uncomfortable for extended use?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's very comfortable to hold, thin but the textured curved back makes it easy to hold. It seems to be very well made. I've had a lot of Asus products over the years (mostly motherboards) and I've never felt that they compromised on quality.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
Where did you find it? I've been looking everywhere, my amazon order is suppose to ship between the 16th and 26th, but who knows if that will happen.

Haha, I want one so bad. Did you get the keyboard dock with it?

---dcross9818
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
it's weird that at the same thickness of the xoom it feels thinner. it has to because the bevelling. the xoom is almost the same thickness end to end with slight tapering. the transformer tapers even more since it has more length to do so.

IMO the xoom is constructed studier with better quality and has better audio output. but $200 would turn the average consumer away from the xoom.

the transformers advantages are the price, screen, and WORKING OTB microsd.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcross9818 View Post
Where did you find it? I've been looking everywhere, my amazon order is suppose to ship between the 16th and 26th, but who knows if that will happen.

Haha, I want one so bad. Did you get the keyboard dock with it?

---dcross9818
I was able to order one from HH Gregg. I also have one from DataVision that I'm in the process of selling locally. I got lucky. Couldn't get in on the orders from NewEgg or Wal-Mart always too late.

Try nowinstock.net If you sign up you can get SMS alerts.

I have the dock on order, hope to see it this month.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #7
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
I just ordered the transformer tablet and dock from Amazon Canada. Can't wait to see it. Wonder if Calibre will come out with an andriod app?
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm interested in this one too.

I became even more interested when my work gave me a free mobile broadband account so I could use the SIM chip in the tablet I choose to buy. Very nice!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'm interested in this one too.

I became even more interested when my work gave me a free mobile broadband account so I could use the SIM chip in the tablet I choose to buy. Very nice!
there's no sim in the tf. the iconia has one, i believe. and i think that xda devs were looking into the slot on the wifi xoom.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
there's no sim in the tf. the iconia has one, i believe. and i think that xda devs were looking into the slot on the wifi xoom.
nope. Iconia A500 has a taped over SIM slot but no hardware behind it.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

My dock was shipped today. I should have it by the end of the week.

The TF is a very nice tablet and a lot of fun. Once I get the dock I can turn it into a (light) work machine.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Device: 7015A, CM738A, 7015, M150, A7, A32, Next3, PDN 7"/9", GT78, ePad
Hope it's better than that's out there in this high tablet price range. mid-range we have a good selection.
tipstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
My dock was shipped today. I should have it by the end of the week.

The TF is a very nice tablet and a lot of fun. Once I get the dock I can turn it into a (light) work machine.
very cool, can't wait to hear your thoughts on it, now that it'll be complete.

I'm very very excited about this. The company to address price point, hardware and functionailty.

I'm very jealous
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #14
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
Well I got my dock yesterday, now to wait another week or so for the tablet itself, lol.

Can't do anything with it yet, but the dock looks great! Hahaha

---dcross9818
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
TallMomof2 and dcross9818,

Where have you found the Asus keyboard/dock available?
I just bought my tablet this morning (thank you nowinstock.net!!),
but I haven't been able to find the keyboard.

Thanks,
Eric
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, asus transformer, honeycomb