Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
sunlioness
Enthusiast
sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS - 350
How has your reader changed your life?

OK, I know that for a title, it sounds a bit overly dramatic. But it is absolutely true for me, my Sony Reader has changed my life in so many ways.

Just to give you a bit of background on my perception, I can tell you that until a year ago I was a gadget maniac. I was not buying electronics just to have them, I was seriously utilizing them and I always felt I needed them. My PC, my laptop, my netbook, my Android, my camera and camcorder... I always saw them as absolutely necessary tools.

One year ago the economic crisis in Greece broke out and although I was already in the UK, it affected me deeply and profoundly. It made me ask a lot of questions for the first time. I started seeing the problem not only in Greece, but globally and most importantly in myself as well. So from then on I stopped buying things. I would always ask myself "Do I really need this?" and if the answer was no, I wouldn't buy it. If the answer was yes, I would buy it second hand or refurbished as I had given up my old obsession with "new" things.

Anyway, to cut to the point, when I first saw eReaders around me in the train to work, I though "This is really cool, it's going to save a lot of trees BUT I don't really need this" and so I decided not to buy one. But then I won one in the Xmas poker tournament at the office.

Here's the deal: I would now give away every single one of my possessions as long as I could keep my reader (and a device to access the internet and Spotify - but those come second). And that's what I am actually doing, I'm giving away my paper books to my friends and family who want them (except from my graphic novels - the experience of reading them is completely different on eReaders as there's no e-ink in colour, yet!).

So the most important changes my reader has brought in my life are these:

1) My reading experience can be compared now to being in heaven due to the dictionary. As you can obviously notice, English is not my mother tongue. There are so many writers I wanted to read in their original English (or had no choice but to read them in English) but in the process, there was always something missing: either flow, due to my constant stopping to check the numerous words I wouldn't get, or understanding, as I would most times satisfy myself with an approximate understanding (more like guessing) of unknown words. Now, I enjoy the flow so much I just cannot stop myself. I get so glued to the books, I don't have time left for using the computer.

2) I am not obsessively compulsive but I want my books to be clean. I usually borrow books from friends and libraries and I only buy those books I want to share with my loved ones. I always felt that if I was to give them a book with highlighted bits a) I would impose on them to pay attention to what I liked or found interesting and b) they would have access to something deeply intimate of mine, almost like a door to my psyche. Hence I always kept my paper books totally clean but always had to suffer the consequences of losing and forgetting really beautiful and important bits. The notes feature in my reader has triumphantly solved that as well.

c) In terms of fiction, I LOVE classic writers. For me rarely something that has stood the test of time can be compared to something new. Before I bought my reader, the ratio of classic to modern writers that I read was 5/1, in certain periods of my life even 10/1. So the reader has given me now so many choices for FREE that it's going to have a tremendous impact on my budget.

Anyway, I know that eReaders have brought so many new things into the reading experience of all of their users as there's also portability (mine goes EVERYWHERE with me in my pocket), speed of reading (I almost read twice as many books weekly) but I would really like to read your personal stories and how the your reader has changed your life.

Peace and good vibes to all of you beautiful people,
Alexandra
sunlioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It'll save me lots of money. Books I used to buy are now completely free.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I like being able to take a large selection of books with me when I go somewhere.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
I do a lot of bicycle touring, and I like reading in my tent in the evening. My ebook readers allows me to save a few pounds of dead tree that I don't have to haul up hills, and which take valuable space in my trailer. It's not a life-changing feature, but it's very nice nonetheless.
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
I was allways an avid reader but for the past few years I was slacking off, going months without reading anything substantial. As soon as I got my reader I got right back on pace with my reading. Now I consider reading more akin to a hobby for me.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
I used to read heavily when I was in school, but once life started happening, I found it harder and harder to make time or to carry paper books around with me. My nook doesn't come with me too much, but the fact that I can fall asleep with it and never lose my place is a huge bonus. I'm also a bit obsessed with gadgets, so that has to help as well.

My iPhone, on the other hand, is what really enabled me to start reading as much as I used to. I can now pull out my phone and read a chapter or two during downtime without needing the foresight to bring a book with me. It isn't the ideal screen to read on, but a small, cramped screen is better than nothing at all!
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I don't know about changing my life, as I have always read a lot, but it has certainly made it much easier. Especially I notice when I have a lot of reading to do at university as I can now take all my lecture notes (converted to EPUB) and books I have to read. This means all those 20 minute bus trips, hanging around waiting for things and other odd half hours can be used for studying. Exam results already show how useful this can be and it frees up time at home to do the other things in life!

Getting back in touch with some of the old books via the downloads on this site and through Gutenberg have opened up a whole world of new literature, no more picking up the odd book at a second hand store, now I can read anything by Conan Doyle, Dickens, Trollope and many others just by flicking a switch. I am also going to try some language lessons and also brush up on my Ancient Greek and Latin - a bit of work to convert these to a readable format but well worth the effort.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
mountain_lion
Addict
mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: fbreader, Kindle
Now I have:
1. lots of books with me all the time
2. saved more trees
3. 32GB to store all my books
4. joined MobileRead which I love

Everytime I travel... which is a lot because of my job, I don't have to buy books at the airport because they were heavy
mountain_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I stopped buying books years ago for 1. expense, and 2. no more room in bookcase, & 3. the small fonts made it uncomfortable.

Now with my ereader, I'm able to adjust the font to what I need it to be, I have over 170books on it, and I can find lots to read at prices I'm willing to pay.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I spend more time (sometimes) cleaning up the formatting and converting my ebooks than I do reading!

Something that I've noticed in the last year (and yes, I turned 50 this year) is that I've started using the larger font sizes. I can't imagine how frustrated I'd be if I wasn't able to do that.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Allowed me to reocate to another country without taking up my baggage allocation in paperbacks!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
I also love and enjoy my Sony Reader.

But one negative thing is that it has made me more aware of how slow of a reader I am. It never used to be a problem because I only went out and bought a novel once in a while to treat myself. But now I have oodles and oodles of things I want to read right here, right now just itching to be read.

So why the heck am I wasting time posting online?
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Saved my arms from a lot of stress. Don't have to carry all of those novels back and forth on the buss to work with me anymore.. Now I can look like this Without having to have really big pecks from carrying those books.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I like being able to take a large selection of books with me when I go somewhere.
That, too, but I like the fact that my "To be read" list is always with me just a button click away.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #15
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
It has definitely changed my life. I always have something to read without having to driver through snow or rain to a bookstore. I don't have to worry about space to keep all my books. I also find that I'm reading a lot more now and I'm really enjoying reading books by authors I never would have heard of if it wasn't for this forum
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote