Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Tegan
Connoisseur
Tegan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1st Gen, Kindle 3 SO
Question on Comics recipes (GoComics and Comics.com)

In both recipes, num_comics_to_get overrides the oldest_article. So if I put in 5 for num_comics_to_get and 7 for oldest article, I'll still get political cartoons from months ago even though I only want the last week's worth.

I played with the code and it's definitely beyond my abilities to fix it. Is this a tweak that is possible, or something too complicated to do?
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
In both recipes, num_comics_to_get overrides the oldest_article. So if I put in 5 for num_comics_to_get and 7 for oldest article, I'll still get political cartoons from months ago even though I only want the last week's worth.
The oldest article option is for RSS feeds. I don't think it does anything when you use parse_index, which is what I used for those recipes. You'd have to parse out the date to get date control. The recipe just clicks the "previous" button the num_comics_to_get times and grabs the comics the site delivers up.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Tegan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
The oldest article option is for RSS feeds. I don't think it does anything when you use parse_index, which is what I used for those recipes. You'd have to parse out the date to get date control. The recipe just clicks the "previous" button the num_comics_to_get times and grabs the comics the site delivers up.
Understood. So if I wanted to make it pay attention to the date, I'd have to write some code to tell it to find the date, then go from there. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
Understood. So if I wanted to make it pay attention to the date, I'd have to write some code to tell it to find the date, then go from there.
Yes. Alternatively, you could go the route of tracking the previously downloaded comics (URLs) and not get them again. There's code for that that could be adapted.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Tegan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Yes. Alternatively, you could go the route of tracking the previously downloaded comics (URLs) and not get them again. There's code for that that could be adapted.
This recipe? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=12

I'll try to adapt it, but I'm really not sure how. The whole thing is a bit daunting by size... Still, I think this might be the best solution overall. Gonna have to play with it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Can't get it to work. I'm note sure what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited by Tegan; 01-17-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard

I rewrote the image rotation code. It's here in the sticky reusable code thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=15

If you use it in my comics recipes, remember that you will need to control image sizing with extra CSS. The current recipes set image width to 100%. You may wish to change it to set image height to 100% as this code will always have the longer image dimension set vertically.