Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
J.H. Farr
J.H. Farr doesn't litterJ.H. Farr doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Why do you write?

People often ask me this, so I've posted the following blurb at http://www.farrfeed.com:

Why I Do This: "When I'm able to write like that, I feel ecstasy and unity with all Creation. It's like an athlete performing an 'impossible' feat with seeming effortlessness and grace. I live for that... When I'm in that state, I don't care about money or sex or food. I don't care about who I am or what I am. I don't care if I'm in the front of the line or at the very end. I don't even care if I'm alive or dead, because it seems I'm in the same place, either way."

It's all about being "in the zone," in other words, and to experience that, I'd do this whether I got paid or not.

Your thoughts?

John Hamilton Farr
Author
Buy TAOS SOUL at Amazon Kindle
J.H. Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Your words sing to me, JH. Thanks for the melody. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
J.H. Farr

Thank you, sir. I'll try to deliver more of the same!
Old 10-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
pigeonweather
Enthusiast
pigeonweather ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pigeonweather ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pigeonweather ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pigeonweather ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pigeonweather ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pigeonweather ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pigeonweather ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pigeonweather ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pigeonweather ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pigeonweather ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pigeonweather ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Droid
nicely put. i like to live with my story, feed it, dream about it, talk it over with my child, watch it grow, follow it along and ultimately set it free, like placing a paper boat in a stream and waving goodbye. That journey is my reward.

It can be kind of addicting, though. As soon as I finish one, I experience a bit of "post-write-um" depression, and start scanning my brain for another story to tell.
pigeonweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Because I have to.

Writing should carry a government health warning.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
J.H. Farr

I was thinking about this earlier tonight and remembered something important: even when I was a little boy, riding in the back seat of the family car, there were narratives rolling along in my head. Descriptions of where we were going, what I was seeing. In that sense, I've been "writing" almost since forever.

Last edited by J.H. Farr; 10-04-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
matthewcplourde
Enthusiast
matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

haha - I feel the same as James Wilde...
matthewcplourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
J.H. Farr

Hey Matthew! Great blog you have, I just bookmarked it. And BTW, Mike Cane (@mikecane on Twitter) describes a writer thusly:

"a person who must write, who is unsuited to everything else except writing"

Works for me...

John Hamilton Farr
http://www.farrfeed.com/

Last edited by J.H. Farr; 10-05-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***there were narratives rolling along in my head. Descriptions of where we were going, what I was seeing***

Me too, John. I guess the novel builder is born when the kid asks himself: "But what if ...?" Slainte ba. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
durkinrobinson
Lovechild
durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
I write to make sense of the world. The older I get, the less sense there is to make, so the possibilities are endless.
durkinrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Because I have to.
Ditto. If I didn't write, I'd go mental.
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me the ecstatic moment is the moment of creation when I imagine a new scene and it just feels right. I usually get fragments (sequences of words) of dialogue or description in these moments. I'm usually listening to music and it is a real high. Interestingly, the writing is not always such an intense high for me - especially if I'm fleshing out notes from one of these creative moments. Sometimes the creation and the writing can happen at the same time. But more often than not I'm in the car during these creative moments, so the writing comes afterwards.
Had one of these moments this morning. Driving too fast in the rain while listening to Gary Numan's "Cars". The synth line in that song always enraptures me.
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrowsnaill View Post
For me the ecstatic moment is the moment of creation when I imagine a new scene and it just feels right. I usually get fragments (sequences of words) of dialogue or description in these moments. I'm usually listening to music and it is a real high. Interestingly, the writing is not always such an intense high for me - especially if I'm fleshing out notes from one of these creative moments. Sometimes the creation and the writing can happen at the same time. But more often than not I'm in the car during these creative moments, so the writing comes afterwards.
Had one of these moments this morning. Driving too fast in the rain while listening to Gary Numan's "Cars". The synth line in that song always enraptures me.
OK, strike my rather glib (but true) reply earlier. I had to comment again because Cars does it for me too (not forgetting Our Friends Electric). Again and again it's music that inspires me. Does anyone else find that?

Do you listen, drift off, imagine stuff and write down the pictures or is it just me? When I worked I 'wrote' most of my stuff in the car using a dictaphone! And yeh, it is true that when you get something right it's like flying. I've finished writing my first novel recently and I look at it now and can't quite belive I wrote it. So I guess it's when I read something I've written and think, hang on, did I write that? Only, it's quite good... That's when I get a kick.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
OK, strike my rather glib (but true) reply earlier. I had to comment again because Cars does it for me too (not forgetting Our Friends Electric). Again and again it's music that inspires me. Does anyone else find that?

Do you listen, drift off, imagine stuff and write down the pictures or is it just me? When I worked I 'wrote' most of my stuff in the car using a dictaphone! And yeh, it is true that when you get something right it's like flying. I've finished writing my first novel recently and I look at it now and can't quite belive I wrote it. So I guess it's when I read something I've written and think, hang on, did I write that? Only, it's quite good... That's when I get a kick.

Cheers

MTM
Music is typically my muse. And I do think that my best ideas and concepts have come when I've been driving. Nice avatar btw.
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Writing transcends reality.
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote