Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Boomerang

News flash: July 6, 2014. Get both Boomerang and The Baer Boys in one free download. Today is the last day.
http://www.amazon.com/Double-Feature...4491043&sr=1-1

Just $0.99 everywhere, including for Kindle and nook.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/boom...=2940000705575

Ted Hogwood's beloved Sarah, a jazz guitar, is in the window of Topp Dollar Pawn. The only way he can get the money to rescue her is to accept an assignment from the AABC, a not nearly official branch of the United States Intelligence community. He is partnered with Jerry Kwiatkowski, master of the Hammond B-3 organ and chronic flatulence sufferer, to steal a boomerang containing secrets that should have died with J. Edgar Hoover over thirty years ago. It would be a simple job if only they knew what they were doing. And if a crossbow wielding assassin, two unemployed Australian women, the Director of Central Intelligence and a clothing optional ex-cheerleader were not also hot on the boomerang's trail.

One of many very nice reader reviews. This one from Amazon UK.

3 of 4 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Boomerang flies, 2 April 2011
By
MoonMan (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boomerang (Kindle Edition)
Boomerang is a comedy thriller, with a nice balance between the elements: the thrills are in the action, the comedy in the telling. The premise is simple. There exists somewhere in the world a hollow boomerang which contains some super-sensitive information dating back to the time of J. Edgar Hoover. A lot of people are very anxious to get hold of it.

The story is told in the third person - many third persons - the action shifting frequently between protagonists. There are, for example, the two odd couples: Australian sisters Doreen and Amelia, and offbeat US security operatives Ted and Jerry. There's even a dog, Oz, whose point of view is given the attention it surely deserves.

There are strong echoes of Douglas Adams, perhaps even of Evelyn Waugh. And Boomerang has a cinematic feel - or, to be more precise, a Quentin Tarantino feel. Tarantino would love it.

Boomerang on Kindle

Boomerang at Smashwords

Thanks to everyone who has already made Boomerang part of their ebook library.

Best,
Alan

Last edited by plumboz; 07-06-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Amazon giveaway july 6, 2014
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Alan, I've added it to my experimental NoDRMebooks twitter account (posts links to various SW ebooks atm). I'll be interested to see if you get any extra sales from it.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nomesque,

Thank you very much. I just now noticed that you are in Queensland. Considering that a bit of the action early on in Boomerang happens in and around Brisbane, I'm more than a little nervous about how it will come across to you. My direct experience there consists of one week in 1988 when I won a trip to the Expo. I sold the most Healthrider exercise bikes at my work. We had a wonderful time.

Best,
Alan
Old 10-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
*chuckle* I haven't read it yet, but when I do, if I pick up any issues I'll let you know
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
plumboz
Novelist

I'm in an excerpt posting mood, but I don't think it's right to clog up the forum with such things. So if anyone would like to check out a somewhat more generously sized excerpt, may I invite you to visit Sketches by Plumboz. It is one of my blogs at Wordpress.

Thanks,
Alan

http://www.amazon.com/Boomerang-eboo...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

or Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4167

Last edited by plumboz; 11-16-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
plumboz
Novelist

Thanks to everyone who has added Boomerang to their ebook library.

And thanks to those who have been nice enough to say some positive things about it:

Comment at mobileread.com: Read the sample chapter and had to get it.

US Amazon review: From its great characters to its twisted plot, Boomerang is lots of fun. The humor and quirky characters are reminiscent of "The Big Lebowski" while the frenetic pacing brings to mind "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." A missing boomerang is sought by a couple of down-on-their-luck jazz musicians, an albino assassin, two little old Australian ladies, the C.I.A. and a sexy cheerleader, not to mention the surviving members of a secret agency set up long ago by J. Edgar Hoover. The ensuing mayhem as they compete to recover the artifact, manages to be both amusing and exciting, not an easy thing for a writer to achieve. That said, I highly recommend this book. A great summer read!

Comment at mobileread.com: What a great review and much better worded than I could have done. The reviewer said what I wish I could have written in a review.

I would have added that places in the book had me laughing out loud as I pictured the characters and their antics.

UK Amazon review: I laughed like a drain reading Boomerang. This is a superb globe-trotting jet-setting farce that had me turning pages and staying up far too late, skipping work and finding hiding places in which I could read undisturbed. Boomerang contains a cavalcade of characters that we've all met on our travels and they are all treated with a level of consideration that automatically makes the reader empathise. Ted and Jerry are the main double-act hunting down a boomerang in which is hidden some super sensitive info that might blow open the American Intelligence and other Government structures, but they don't know that. Ted just wants his beloved guitar back out of the front window of Top Dollar Pawn and in his arms, Jerry could do with a beer. Hot on their heels are Ozzie women Doreen and Amelia-serious Shielas to do business with. Add to the mix a crossbow wielding assassin, underemployed Government agency staff and a clothing optional ex-cheerleader-all hot on their trail and you just know you're going to have a good time!

Comment at red adept's Kindle book review blog: Boomerang’s one of my favorite indie books precisely because of its unconventional yet oddly compelling handling of structure and character (not to mention its humor).

Last edited by plumboz; 11-16-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
plumboz
Novelist

Happy New Year and Thanks

From Ted, Jerry, Doreen, Amelia; Bethie the clothing optional ex-Onion Festival Queen; Leslie the albino assassin; James Fatherday, Director of Central Intelligence and all the rest of the cast of characters in Boomerang.

And, of course, a really big thanks from the guilty party, me. I really appreciate all of the downloads from mobileread members that Boomerang has had in a pretty short period of time. I realize the coupon was what convinced most of you and I also know that it might be a while before a lot of you get to reading it. But Thank You Very Much for putting it in your libraries.

If I could ask a favor?

When you do read it, if you like it, please pass the word. Tell your friends that you found a really fun read and it's just $1.99 at any of the links below. If you are so inspired, please post a review* on any of the sites where Boomerang is available. Ted, Jerry and Yours Truly would appreciate it ever so much.

Happy New Year to each and every Boomerang reader out there, current and future!

Best,
Alan

*Here is the latest review on Smashwords. As a matter of fact, it popped up while I was typing this note! Thank you Jessica!

Loved this book! Hutcheson does a great job creating a host of wacky characters all after the same object. I really enjoyed seeing all of the different plot lines and watching them all converge. I will definitely be recommending this one!

Last edited by plumboz; 01-04-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I did get it from smashwords because it was free... and it is also in my "to be read" though it is quite long... but I went ahead and bought it at Amazon anyhow
Hell, $2 is a bargain for a book and I love to help out "the little guys"

Happy new year to you too!
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
plumboz
Novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I did get it from smashwords because it was free... and it is also in my "to be read" though it is quite long... but I went ahead and bought it at Amazon anyhow
Hell, $2 is a bargain for a book and I love to help out "the little guys"

Happy new year to you too!
Thanks rcuadro,

I very much appreciate it. And I hope you enjoy Boomerang. I have tried very hard to produce the best darned entertainment that $1.99 can buy.

Best,
Alan
Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
plumboz
Novelist

And if I could invite everyone to the NookBoards Book Club, where Boomerang is the first book to be read and discussed.

Boomerang Book Club at NookBoards.com
Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
It's just so great to be chosen as the first book of the first book club. I just read though the comments and people seem very excited.

It might be hard to not give away character development, motives, or whatever when you discuss it. Have fun !
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
plumboz
Novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
It's just so great to be chosen as the first book of the first book club. I just read though the comments and people seem very excited.

It might be hard to not give away character development, motives, or whatever when you discuss it. Have fun !
Hey, I'm not giving away anything. Heck, it's been so long since I've read the book that I don't think I could give away any significant plot points, character secrets or who's chasing whom. That's one nice thing about a mind like mine, it allows me to do things like enjoy mystery stories multiple times. Even if I wrote them.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumboz View Post
Hey, I'm not giving away anything. Heck, it's been so long since I've read the book that I don't think I could give away any significant plot points, character secrets or who's chasing whom. That's one nice thing about a mind like mine, it allows me to do things like enjoy mystery stories multiple times. Even if I wrote them.

I just bought Boomerang, and will be joining you on the Nookboards Boomerang discussion forum.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #14
plumboz
Novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just bought Boomerang, and will be joining you on the Nookboards Boomerang discussion forum.
Tom,

Terrific! I hope you enjoy it. We ought to have some fun as we read, discuss and generally make merry over the thing. Did you get your copy through Smashwords or Barnes and Noble? One of the things I am curious to find out is any differences in how the files look depending on where the purchase is made. So far one of the things I've heard about has been the existence or absence of page numbers.

See you at NookBoards and Thanks Again!

Alan

Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumboz View Post
Tom,

Terrific! I hope you enjoy it. We ought to have some fun as we read, discuss and generally make merry over the thing. Did you get your copy through Smashwords or Barnes and Noble? One of the things I am curious to find out is any differences in how the files look depending on where the purchase is made. So far one of the things I've heard about has been the existence or absence of page numbers.

See you at NookBoards and Thanks Again!

Alan

B&N via their wireless. I'll let you know how the formatting came out as I get a bit further into it.

Interestingly, when I put "Boomerang" into the B&N search engine, it returned no results. It was only after I entered "Alan Hutcheson" that Boomerang came up.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-06-2010 at 10:01 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, barnes and noble, boomerang, comic novel, smashwords