Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #76
Gabriel Morcan
Gabriel Morcan began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
I've read Ender's Game recently and ...

*MAJOR SPOILER ALERT*

Spoiler:
OSC sympathizes with the buggers in the end. After the war is over it is revealed that it was a huge mistake based on lack of communication. Everybody is feeling extremely sorry about killing the "buggers" when they could get along so well and Ender is planning to undo the wrong and bring them back to life.

*MAJOR SPOILER ALERT OVER*

Anyway, the most interesting part of the book is not the war with the buggers, but Ender's training, how they try to push him into fighting and Ender being bullied and trying to get over it.

From what I read on other forums, OSC was not so vocal about his views until 2000's.

I would really want Roadside Picnic to win. Eastern European SF is not that well known in the Western world, and this book is on my TBR list since I saw the movie STALKER which is loosely based on the book and which was breathtaking.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-24-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags.
Gabriel Morcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #77
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
In any case, although it might seem strange to some, I don't really have any issue with OSC. I thought the Alvin Maker stories were a bit blah, but I loved Ender's Game and I also enjoyed his novel Lost Boys. I've picked up a few more of his books recently and will eventually find room in my pile for them.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #78
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Gabriel Morcan: there are spoiler tags that can be used. If you go to the advanced editing of the message there is an eye with an X through it that places the tags. Oh, and welcome to the forum. I hope you find it as a great a place as a lot of us do. Can a mod spoiler the original post so those who haven't read Ender's don't lose some of the fun if it wins.

Looking through the list, I've already read Fahrenheit 451 and Ender's Game. I know I'm going to read Princess at some point and it is free, but I think I'm leaning to Roadside Picnic. Still mulling the options. Ender's Game was quite entertaining and not a bad option for a summer read.

I wish I hadn't missed the nominations. Next year: The Stars My Destination or The Demolised Man. Read it in my bookclub.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #79
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
.......I'll have a look and educate myself.
I have been thinking: most of the time I don't read much about the books I'll be reading, as to have a clean view on things. Afterwards I sometimes do some research if I'm puzzled by something.
I know, I asked for an explanation about one of the nominations myself, out of curiosity, but I'll read the author in question without research on him and see.

Last edited by desertblues; 07-24-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Clarifying and, of course, grammar.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #80
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
"buggery" = slang for anal sex.
The term also sows up in "Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves" several times. The character of Little John says 'b**ger me' several times when he's shocked about something.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #81
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
The term also sows up in "Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves" several times. The character of Little John says 'b**ger me' several times when he's shocked about something.
Yes, it's still in common use here as an epithet. I don't think he's using it as an invitation, however....
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #82
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
hmm, this forum seems to be getting a kind of anal fixation these days.......
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #83
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
hmm, this forum seems to be getting a kind of anal fixation these days.......
So true. It has been educational.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #84
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Why am I not surprised?

Yet another reason not to be a Card carrying sci-fi fan:

"Orson Scott Card Outdoes Himself With Insane, Racist Rant"

From the article:
Quote:
As author Maureen Johnson puts it, "I don't know where Orson Scott Card goes from here, except maybe to declare war on the moon."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:44 AM   #85
Gabriel Morcan
Gabriel Morcan began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I didn't see the racist part.
Gabriel Morcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #86
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Yes, it's still in common use here as an epithet. I don't think he's using it as an invitation, however....
Nope I don't think so either. It's just a way for his character to show surprise about something. A tag if you will. Much like Dickens has Scrooge saying "Humbug" quite often in the course of the book.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #87
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Where will he get his "national police"? The NaPo will be recruited from "young out-of-work urban men" and it will be hailed as a cure for the economic malaise of the inner cities.
It sounds like Mr. Card is suggesting that we'll have our own young Nazi group in the U.S. Of course as I remember it (from history class) the situation in post world war I Germany was quite a bit different than here in the U.S. We haven't been forced to sign a treaty with the victors of a war nor is money so worthless as to have lost all value (to my knowledge). It sounds like paranoia on Mr. Card's part.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #88
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Yet another reason not to be a Card carrying sci-fi fan:

"Orson Scott Card Outdoes Himself With Insane, Racist Rant"

From the article:
Here's a link to Card's full post...
http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2013-05-09-1.html
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #89
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Not being a big sci-fi reader, I only vaguely knew of Orson Scott Card and his anti-gay standpoint before nominating Ender's Game, but decided to nominate it to possibly see what the fuss was about since a film is coming out; I thought at the least it could've made for a lively discussion thread. Now I've realised that his views are more extreme than I'd thought, but I still think I'll try to read the book sometime to judge the story and his writing for myself. Although this will probably be one of those now-rare times that I use a library for a pbook or buy a copy of it from a second-hand book store so as not to give any money towards the author.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote