Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
I'm in Australia and mine didn't update last night when i connected it up
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #17
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Just to help people with problems - if your upgrade worked, you don't need it.
Cool. Thanks.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Guy View Post
I have plugged my Kobo in many times over the past few days and it does not seem to have upgraded. Is there a site with step-by-step instructions?

Thanks!

GG
If you've got the latest Kobo Desktop application in the e-mail (or from the links above), than the update screen should appear on your desktop as soon as you plug the Kobo in (while having the new Kobo Desktop application running).

If you didn't upgrade the Kobo Desktop application yet, then, at one point in the next days, it should find an update and ask you to update the application itself.
After having ran the update, it shall then find the firmware upgrade for the reader.

Hope this helps.
Aniello
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And remember... the Kobo application has not yet been updated for the other markets; only those of us in Canada have the new one so far.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #20
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast
Gadget Guy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
If you've got the latest Kobo Desktop application in the e-mail (or from the links above), than the update screen should appear on your desktop as soon as you plug the Kobo in (while having the new Kobo Desktop application running).

If you didn't upgrade the Kobo Desktop application yet, then, at one point in the next days, it should find an update and ask you to update the application itself.
After having ran the update, it shall then find the firmware upgrade for the reader.

Hope this helps.
Aniello
Thanks for the info - it actually upgraded last night about 3 hours after I posted my question (did not get a chance to update my post).

So far, the only issue I have is that books I load by ADE that have no DRM are not accessible (but if I load by Calibre they read fine).

GG
Gadget Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #21
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Guy View Post
Thanks for the info - it actually upgraded last night about 3 hours after I posted my question (did not get a chance to update my post).

So far, the only issue I have is that books I load by ADE that have no DRM are not accessible (but if I load by Calibre they read fine).

GG
I believe it's because you have to reauthorize your device through ADE after the upgrade.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #22
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
I believe it's because you have to reauthorize your device through ADE after the upgrade.
It didn't work for me, and I know it didn't work for a few other people here.
I had to reset the Kobo and re-sync all the e-book again (ADE, Kobo App and Calibre).

Yeah.. three different programs to handle one device such a shame.
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #23
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I downloaded the actual kobo software/store (as opposed to the angus and robertson one) and it updated fine... it also added my books from kobo complete with proper font sizes and cover art.
It was a win for me, apart from the abysmal performance of the kobo software... it's extremely laggy and takes forever to download anything. Still, i'm happy!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #24
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
I downloaded the actual kobo software/store (as opposed to the angus and robertson one) and it updated fine... it also added my books from kobo complete with proper font sizes and cover art.
It was a win for me, apart from the abysmal performance of the kobo software... it's extremely laggy and takes forever to download anything. Still, i'm happy!
The time it takes is definitely a pain, this affects us too as it takes a long time to test downloading/syncing. This is another item we're working on improving.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #25
digital_steve
Muppet

No worries, it isn't a deal breaker for me... but the software is really, really laggy.

Plus side, i've found that the pages turn quicker on the Kobo now with 1.4 firmware.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #26
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
No worries, it isn't a deal breaker for me... but the software is really, really laggy.

Plus side, i've found that the pages turn quicker on the Kobo now with 1.4 firmware.
It's only going to get better!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #27
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Yes thats a complaint I have too, so many times when I've loaded up the border's AU software it sits there with the "blue ring of wait" (Vista), I get bored and start surfing the net. To use the program again I have to wait until it stops. Its not a huge problem (use Calibre more) but if I was using it often (check for firmware which is what I use it for now, though torn between battery improvements and loss of the covers when turning off) it would get extremely frustrating.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #28
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
(...)

Hope this helps.
Aniello
I didn't upgrade the Kobo desktop app - I don't really use it at all - and I got tired of waiting, so I uninstalled the old desktop app I had and reinstalled to finally get the firmware upgrade prompt.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #29
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast
Gadget Guy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
ADE Reauthorization

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Sorry - should have mentioned that. The first thing I did was reauthorize the device. After reauthorization, it still would not display the books (even after deleting/reloading). However, I loaded the files via Calibre and they worked fine.

So... I guess as long as I use ADE to load books with DRM and Calibre to load books without DRM, I guess I am good to go.

GG
Gadget Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #30
sark666
Connoisseur
sark666 began at the beginning.

Device: colognesbook
I just got the kobo, where on the device can you confirm what firmware is currently running?
sark666 is offline   Reply With Quote