Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Addition to a Kindle-Only Family

OK - I love my Kindles. I have K1 & K2 & DX - and read primarily on the DX.
No complaints.

But - with the looming publisher wars, exclusivity deals, geographical restrictions, price wars - you name it - I am planning to acquire a device to buy epub & other formats not supported by Amazon. Yes I know I can strip DRM & convert formats, etc. - but I have a limited amount of time and want to spend it reading, not entangled in python scripts.

So: what device would give me everything I love in the Kindle, but support other formats? I'm inclined to wait for the irex 800 to FINALLY apppear at Best Buy, but I'm open to other suggestions.

What I love about Kindle:
1. Whispernet - not being tied to a PC.
2. Large screen on DX.
3. Multiple font sizes that are easy to change in a few keystrokes.
4. Non-glare EInk screen (very important for my old tired eyes).

Which ereader(s) should I really consider? Or wait for?

P.S. I am NOT interested in a iPad, or any LCD screen device.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Sony is probably the most economical way, but there are so many different readers coming out, I don't even know what to recommend anymore.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In addition to the DR800SG, I would consider the Onyx Boox 60. This uses a Wacom touch screen, like the DR800SG, but with WiFi instead of 3G. It is a great pity that the 8" device from Onyx has been delayed, since they don't seem to be playing the marketing games that iRex loves so much (stripping capabilities from the DR800SG to protect DR1000S sales).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
No complaints.

But - with the looming publisher wars, exclusivity deals, geographical restrictions, price wars - you name it - I am planning to acquire a device to buy epub & other formats not supported by Amazon. Yes I know I can strip DRM & convert formats, etc. - but I have a limited amount of time and want to spend it reading, not entangled in python scripts.

So: what device would give me everything I love in the Kindle, but support other formats? I'm inclined to wait for the irex 800 to FINALLY apppear at Best Buy, but I'm open to other suggestions.

2. Large screen on DX.

Have you considered the Nook? With the nook you should have 1&2. I don't know how easy it is to change fonts.

The nook also reads ePUB.

However your concern with

Quote:
publisher wars, exclusivity deals, geographical restrictions, price wars
is not unique to Amazon this also applies to FW, BoB, B&N, etc...

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
No complaints.

2. Large screen on DX.

Do you really want to buy now or are ya just trying to get your ducks-in-a-row over the next few months?

I genuinely need a large format reader myself, my wants are essentially the same as yours. I know I will eventually shed my K2i though the better half will keep hers, but I paid only $159, new, for mine so I'll make money on it even after another 6-months. I would sell it now to buy the PB360 but, eh, I am being lazy.

I have gotten feedback from a couple publishers in my area of business who are FINALLY moving toward ebook releases, one even has some back-list titles for just $10 but they are either "print PDF's or scanned non-OCR'd" editions so they will stink-on-ice on the K2i.

A comment all made, in one form or another, is they will not be doing the Macmillan thing, in fact a couple actually chuckled about Macmillan saying it would be crazy not to release ebook versions at the time as print editions. They also all indicated they will likely go with the ADE/EPUB option with DRM. Because of the industry, DRM is a must. One thing is certain though, all of these books will require a large format AND color. Realistically, I doubt I will grab color this year though. But next year for sure...

I mention this because after the CES week and the slight let down due to the lack of production ready large format devices, I've yet to see a large format device which gives me what I need today or one guaranteed to offer the features needed anytime soon. And I am not willing to compromise when it comes to my making money, so maybe it's that I have to wait rather than I decided to wait. None of the currently produced devices offer what I feel is even the minimum needed for my large format device. I did, however, get the sense from CES at in Q3 maybe early Q4 there will be more in-production larger format readers from several mfg's....so my suggestion is to wait them out and see what happens. I mean for now you are covered, mostly, you are doing OK with what you have. I agree the devices are not perfect but get the job done, so I would hold out as long as possible.

If I had to choose now, I would have said the iRex 800 but I have doubts, for my use, that the 8" display will be anywhere close to enough screen acreage. My "Mendoza Line" is a 9.7" and I am leaning toward waiting out a full 11-12" panel device that is not the Skiff. I guess it is just I do not see any compelling large format devices in production today.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert