Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
CES 2009

What does CES hold for ebook readers?

I've just bought a sony prs505 and while im pleased with it i think the screen is too small for alot of what i want to read on it that mainly being computer books for uni.

So are we going to see some interesting ebook readers at CES with the 8 and 10 inch screens and perhaps some new manufactures coming tothe market like panasonic, toshiba etc
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Maybe the Plastic Logic device will be displayed ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
I will be going to CES 2009. I'll report back my findings..

Fabian.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
I will be going to CES 2009.
Be sure to checkout the Astak booth, although they might not have the EZ Reader PRO on display. See Astak Mentor eBook readers with WiFi and Touchscreen options #1215. Also #981, from November, says that Netronix will be part of Astak's booth (number 73206).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
I will be going to CES 2009. I'll report back my findings..

Fabian.
hi fabian, i worked on a project which will be demo-ed at CES, i'd really love to hear how it goes, so just in case you might see it, take a look at this thread for some info. there is a description of the project in post 5. i wish i could go !

thanks in advance for anything you can tell us ! about ebooks first, obviously, but if you see anything about my project, then about that too !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
CES fully awakens in half an hour. Morning newscasts giving little show and tells of what's available. A few I saw and heard about this morning:

USB 3.0
3D Webcam
USB Power sticks
Interactive plush toys

*seen* nothing about ebooks yet

Let us know when you know.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Apparently a new SD format has been announced, named SDXC with exFAT filesystem and sizes of up to 2TB.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Apparently a new SD format has been announced, named SDXC with exFAT filesystem and sizes of up to 2TB.
That is pretty much the death knell for DVD,s and very likely blu-ray.
Not necessarily a bad thing though.

I give DVDs maybe four more years of dwindling sales, and expect that blu-ray has already peaked.

This will rapidly enable us to archive not just novels, but graphically heavy information like magazines as well. How many full color comic books will a two terabyte chip hold, anyway ?

And when can I get a machine that will use these?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
stxopher
Nameless Being

I'm waiting to see more on the new ASUS netbook that converts to a tablet. A touch tablet. A netbook touch tablet.

....excuse me. I need some time alone now.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I saw that, too... as one of those who started messing with PCs just as the 1.4MB floppy disk was beginning to take the steam away from 5" real floppies, I'm seriously geeking out about 2TB SD cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
That is pretty much the death knell for DVD,s and very likely blu-ray.
Maybe not... CDs and DVDs are still the economy leaders when it comes to physical media (Edit: and more easily recycled than electronics and plastic, which is key these days)... and not everything needs 2TB of space. Still, TB SDs will be great for storing entire seasons of TV shows, movie collections, documentaries, etc.

However, I'd bet that before you see them, someone will have figured out a way to tie that content into the SD card (IOW, a DRM system similar to a DVD DRM system).

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 01-09-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
any news on wireless USB?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
However, I'd bet that before you see them, someone will have figured out a way to tie that content into the SD card (IOW, a DRM system similar to a DVD DRM system).
The SD standard actually already includes support for card-unique keys and a protected area on the card (after all, SD does mean "Secure Digital"). The only device I saw it actually used was Panasonic's Words Gear (it used SD-ePublish), but it seems there were a few phones which used SD-Audio.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:19 AM   #13
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Yes 1 and 2 TB from the SD association was formally announced. I grilled the engineers and they are set for release in 18 months at sub-$500 for the 1TB.

Fabian.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:05 AM   #14
gdhaliwal23
gdhaliwal23 began at the beginning.

Device: none
wow 2 TB, that would be awesome!
gdhaliwal23 is offline   Reply With Quote