Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
iCowboy
Enthusiast
iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Aura HD - Constantly freezing touch screen - any solutions?

Hi everyone,

I really want to like my Aura HD - but I can't because it locks up at least once a day.

When reading it will often just stop accepting screen presses - effectively freezing. The device isn't completely dead, it still recognises when the cover is closed, if I slide the power switch or click the light switch and responds appropriately. Put it to sleep and open the cover and the book reappears - but it still won't recognise any touches (so obviously the home button and the like don't work).

The only way to get it to work again is to hold the power switch to do a complete cycle and reboot the reader. It will then come back to life and work - for a while before the problem returns.

This is a stock machine, no custom firmware, just the latest official Kobo software. I've performed numerous soft and hard resets and the problem persists. It's also the second Aura HD I've had with the same problem and I had similar issues with my previous Glo.

So does anyone know if there is solution to this problem and is this particularly common?

Many thanks,

Mike.
iCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm just curious if you have tons of books loaded, or if you've tried running the books giving you trouble through Sigil and Flight check to see if something is amiss? Are the titles side loaded and converted from other formats?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
iCowboy
Enthusiast
iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'm just curious if you have tons of books loaded, or if you've tried running the books giving you trouble through Sigil and Flight check to see if something is amiss? Are the titles side loaded and converted from other formats?
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I did wonder if that might be the cause. So this weekend after the latest crash I performed a complete hard reset and I've only loaded titles purchased from Kobo. I've had several crashes since. As far as I can tell, any book can cause a crash.

I haven't tried checking those titles with either of the apps you suggest - good idea.

Mike.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It couldn't hurt... Flightcheck is the verification feature in Sigil.

I know you mentioned latest firmware, but what version number is it?

Have you tried epubs and had the same problem? There are two different renderers for epub and kepub...

Have you tried signing out and back in to rebuild the database? You mentioned resets, but not that... Have you noticed any pattern or actions preceding the "crashes"? How long have you waited on a freeze before resetting or powering off? Is it possible if left for a bit longer it unfreezes, or is it a complete crash of the renderer or failure of the Touch input?

I'm just spitballing...

Last edited by TechniSol; 04-29-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
iCowboy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
It couldn't hurt... Flightcheck is the verification feature in Sigil.

I know you mentioned latest firmware, but what version number is it?

Have you tried epubs and had the same problem? There are two different renderers for epub and kepub...

Have you tried signing out and back in to rebuild the database? You mentioned resets, but not that... Have you noticed any pattern or actions preceding the "crashes"? How long have you waited on a freeze before resetting or powering off? Is it possible if left for a bit longer it unfreezes, or is it a complete crash of the renderer or failure of the Touch input?

I'm just spitballing...
Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

It looks like the Kobo was faulty, it has now completely died with a black screen. As far as I can tell it won't charge and I can't reset it even with a paper clip. My Mac doesn't recognise it when I plug it into a USB port, so I suspect whatever the problem was that it was terminal.

Oh dear. Not sure if I'd get another Kobo bearing in mind both my previous readers have had major problems.

Thanks again for your help,

Mike.
Advert
Old 05-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #6
TechniSol

I'd get it replaced under warrantee if possible, you can always sell it if you're still not happy.

Tags
aura hd, crash