Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
emt
Nameless Being

1.1 Update Prelim Review

Just unrooted, reset and updated to 1.1 via manual method. My initial observations are:

The new pinch to zoom on the browser is very smooth and makes a big difference from the former browser. Also, the browser seems to stick with "desktop" for the user agent (unlike prior inability to change).

Nothing new in extras.

Of course, the "last read" book icon now works as it's supposed to and works on the books on my SD Card.

I'm going to side load my SD card books to the library and I'm also going to try to root (via Z4Root) so I can install a few apps - I'll report back later.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Just unrooted, reset and updated to 1.1 via manual method. My initial observations are:

The new pinch to zoom on the browser is very smooth and makes a big difference from the former browser. Also, the browser seems to stick with "desktop" for the user agent (unlike prior inability to change).

Nothing new in extras.

Of course, the "last read" book icon now works as it's supposed to and works on the books on my SD Card.

I'm going to side load my SD card books to the library and I'm also going to try to root (via Z4Root) so I can install a few apps - I'll report back later.
When you unrooted did you have to go back and reinstall everything or did it pick up when you re-rooted. ("Re-rooted"? Is that a word?)

Roger
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Of course, the "last read" book icon now works as it's supposed to and works on the books on my SD Card...
Wasn't this only an issue on rooted devices for those who use a replacement launcher instead of the stock homescreen?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please check if the speaker volume is louder and if the screen sensitivity issue (right side) has been fixed.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Can you also let us know if the issue of sideloaded books not showing covers has been resolved without having to resort to tweaking the epub file in Calibre? Thanks.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
The new pinch to zoom on the browser is very smooth and makes a big difference from the former browser.
It is rather jumpy and clunky on my NC. I wonder if it has to do with the complexity and size of the web page. Please try this URL to see how it works on yours: http://movies.yahoo.com/ and also http://www.cnn.com/ as both of these are extremely slow and jumpy when using pinch and zoom on my NC. Not a good experience at all in my case!

I've got high speed internet, so that is not a factor. I just compared my iPod touch 4G side by side to the NC and here is how I rate the pinch and zoom on each using a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is the best rating:

ipod touch 4G: 9
nookcolor: 2

Last edited by jswinden; 01-27-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Wasn't this only an issue on rooted devices for those who use a replacement launcher instead of the stock homescreen?
I don't think so, this never worked correctly with my stock or rooted Nook. It seems to work sometimes and sometimes it doesn't or will just take me back to the cover page as opposed to my current page. This was for side-loaded content, but seems to be working correctly with the new firmware.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

That's great news! Wow, B&N took note of that and immediately addressed it. to them.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I don't think so, this never worked correctly with my stock or rooted Nook. It seems to work sometimes and sometimes it doesn't or will just take me back to the cover page as opposed to my current page. This was for side-loaded content, but seems to be working correctly with the new firmware.
Great! It was one of the things that drove me nuts.

I am interested in seeing if the side loaded book covers show up better after this. I think I will do it now while a have half an hour. I just finished a book, so it is perfect timing.

Edit: Ok, so I reset to factory default and side loaded 1.1. I have only just side loaded in a couple hundred books, but so far I notice that only 12 showed without covers instead of the 40 or so from the last time.

I also notice that it seems the screen may be more sensitive? anybody else notice this? I say this because while scrolling through my library I kept unintentionally opening books, like almost every time I scrolled, I was getting peeved.

Jack, I have checked the sites you mentioned above. I had no problems with yahoo.movies, but CNN is excruciatingly slow. It doesn't even want to load.

Last edited by Care; 01-27-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
SCION & Others:

Yes, the speaker is louder
I don't see a big difference in screen sensitivity on right side
I can't speak to the sideloaded covers as I tweak all of mine w/Calibre and I see all of the covers
See the above posts for the word on "last book read" icon - it's a real pleasure to have this back

I think it's a keeper!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Yes, I noticed the speaker was louder. I had a read to me book on while the tv was on and we could hear it, where before we could really understand it unless the room was quiet.

I haven't had time to read yet, so I don't know about the screen sensitivity.

Has anybody noticed if the lowest brightness is lower? Or is it my imagination? Last night even on the lowest setting it seemed too bright. I tried it tonight just to check it and it seemed perfect.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
Care
Aes Sedai

Oooops. Double post.

Last edited by Care; 01-27-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Someone on the B&N site mentioned the same thing about the brightness setting. This was definitely a common complaint from day one. Again, they listened and fixed it. That was a deal breaker for some. Also another reason why some rooted.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
Care
Aes Sedai

About the screen sensitivity, do you mean when tapping to turn pages? That is when I noticed a big problem. So far so good though. It responds to my right taps every time now. Mind you I was just flipping through pages to see.

I am very happy with the update. I mostly rooted to use my tags, but I liked the BN reader a lot more than the others I tried, and i really love the last page read and last books opened shortcuts now that they are working. I might just keep it like this. We'll see.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Yes, tapping to turn pages. It's more noticeable when you play the stock Crossword puzzles.