Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Micro USB Charger Interchangeability

Hi All,

I poked around in the forums and didn't quite find anything that addresses my specific question. Please feel free to direct me somewhere (or ignore me) if this has already been discussed.

I have four devices that use Micro USB for charging and data -- two cell phones, a K3, and a B&N Nook. All of the chargers are the kind where you take a normal micro usb cable and plug the Type A end into the charger and the Micro-B end into the device.

All of the chargers say either 5.1 volt or 5 volt. They show different amp ratings but none of the ratings is higher than 1 amp.

Are all these chargers interchangeable? Could I potentially ruin a device by charging it using a charger that's rated with a higher amperage than the official charger?
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The rating on the charger is how many amps you can pull out of it, the voltage is how hard it pushes. So you won't hurt your devices. If you connect the lowest rated charger to the device that normally uses the highest rated charger, you might over-heat the charger, and the device will take longer to charge - the device won't be hurt, but the low-rated charger might burn out. I generall use my 1-amp, 5-volt USB charger for all my USB rechargeable devices. -- Except I have one or two devices that seem to require some sort of specialized smart charger to make them charge. You'll know the first time you try to charge one of those with an ordinary charger
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, they'll be interchangeable. The rating of the charger simply shows what it's able to supply; the device will "decide" how much current it wants to draw. There's never any harm in using a charger with a higher amperage rating than a device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
micro usb charger