Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
technicolor
technicolor began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER
latex template for sony reader pdf

Hi, folks

I am wondering if there exists a latex template or predefined style file made for sony reader. I am trying to convert some scientific papers from latex source to the pdf format suitable for sony reader. Thank you in advance for sharing.

BTW, I viewed landscape pdf slides in the landscape mode but it cannot be full screen. The reader only showed part of the slides and one needs to use pagedown to see the second half (default portrait mode works but kinda small for the fonts) anyone got a clue? Thanks.
technicolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
technicolor
technicolor began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER
OK, never mind. I found some useful posts here.
technicolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just size the PDF pages for the Reader at 90x120mm or 120x90mm and you should be fine. Also, do away with as much margin as you can.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just size the PDF pages for the Reader at 90x120mm or 120x90mm and you should be fine. Also, do away with as much margin as you can.
The geometry package can take care of both the size of the PDF and the margins.

Be careful with the fonts though, some of them are not as easy to read on the PRS-500. I would recommend New Century Schoolbook or Helvetica.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:25 AM   #5
whiteinge
whiteinge began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolor View Post
OK, never mind. I found some useful posts here.
Just in case you could still use an example, here's a stylesheet I've been using for the last week for ReST conversions (shamelessly adapted from iliad.sty (the good one)). It's far from perfect.

In the event you didn't need another example, I'd love to see your solution!

- whiteinge
Attached Files
File Type: gz reader.sty.gz (527 Bytes, 878 views)
whiteinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For ReST why not go the ReST->html->lrf route?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
kweidner
kweidner began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteinge View Post
Just in case you could still use an example, here's a stylesheet I've been using for the last week for ReST conversions (shamelessly adapted from iliad.sty (the good one)). It's far from perfect.

In the event you didn't need another example, I'd love to see your solution!

- whiteinge
I recommend adding the "\sloppy" option in the LaTeX header unless you want to manually chase down and fix overfull lines. Without it, LaTeX truncates words that it can't fit in a line due to its very picky standards for acceptable word spacing. It's less annoying to have extra whitespace in lines than having parts of words missing due to not fitting on the page.

For some texts, it may be useful to use "\raggedright" (don't do full paragraph justification, which looks less print-like but is easier to read).

-Klaus
kweidner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
I recommend adding the "\sloppy" option in the LaTeX header unless you want to manually chase down and fix overfull lines. Without it, LaTeX truncates words that it can't fit in a line due to its very picky standards for acceptable word spacing. It's less annoying to have extra whitespace in lines than having parts of words missing due to not fitting on the page.

For some texts, it may be useful to use "\raggedright" (don't do full paragraph justification, which looks less print-like but is easier to read).

-Klaus
\sloppy isn't exactly the best solution either. You get ugly justification and instead of using hyphenation, it'll add white spaces most of the time. The best solution here is to change a bit those advanced settings for hyphenation.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:47 AM   #9
whiteinge
whiteinge began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
For ReST why not go the ReST->html->lrf route?
It's because I can't preview lrf before I transfer it to the Reader. (And I tend to mess up formatting a lot. ) I've used your Python scripts a few times in the past to good effect, but Sony's format it too inaccessible for me.

Is there a non-Windows method of previewing lrf files that I've missed?
whiteinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No there isn't, but you can preview the HTML.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #11
hunahau
hunahau began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
latex y sony reader

No se si les sirva esto, es para hacer documentos en latex que se vean bien en el sony reader.

Yo uso, para documentos en latex, la clase memoir. Lo que hice fue editar memoir.cls y donde esta ebook puse:

\DeclareOption{ebook}
{\setlength\stockheight {5in}%
\setlength\stockwidth {4in}}

despues, en el preambulo del documento utilice:

\documentclass[ebook,12pt]{memoir}
\stockheight=122.4mm
\stockwidth=90.6mm
\headheight=0pt
\headsep=0pt
\textheight=119mm
\textwidth=87mm
\parindent=0em
\oddsidemargin= -2.5cm
\evensidemargin= -2.5cm
\topmargin -2.5cm

y listo... espero les sirva

Para el iliad solo hay que cambiar las dimensiones y ya.

Last edited by hunahau; 07-25-2008 at 10:24 AM.
hunahau is offline   Reply With Quote