Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #31
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'll second 'The Stainless Steel Rat ' series! Wonderful pageturning reading! Also Dana Stabenow's ' two series. I learned of them here, read them, and am waiting for more of them!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #32
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Male or female protagonist preferred? or doesn't matter?

You might try out the Mathew Scudder books by Lawrence Block

or

Alex Delaware books by Jonathan Kellerman

or

Decker books by Faye Kellerman

or

Harry Bosch books by Michael Connelly

They're good reads, good characters, good stories.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #33
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Jonathan Kellerman's first handful of 'Alex Delaware books were great. Then he started getting too 'dark' for my taste. Fortunately, his wife, Faye, has an even better series with the characters Peter Decker and Rina Lasarus! Great stuff!

I'm all set to re-read the Matt Scudder series myself. They are engrossing too!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #34
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Another vote for the Dresden files here. I read book 1 to check them out a few weeks ago. Now I'm on #7. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I finished Fool Moon a little bit ago and didn't really care for it that much.
Yeah, kind of agree with you, but don't give it up. Butcher was really still trying out the characters for the first 3-4 books, I think, and books 2-4 kind of suffer for it in that regard. As the series progresses he really grows as a writer and because of it his characters start to grow too. I think he really didn't know where or how to take the series at first, but then he hits his track and it goes from there. So, keep the fist handy for shaking but continue on with the series and I think you'll be happy.

Good thread here, lots of suggestions I'll try!
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote