Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
May 2015 Discussion: Our Man in Havana (spoilers)

The time has come to discuss the May 2015 MobileRead Book Club selection, Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene. What did you think?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I listened to this on a long car trip (8.5 hours) and was transported to pre-revolution Cuba through the eyes of Wormold, the naive vacuum cleaner salesman. What fun!

Greene brought to life some colourful characters, grounded by the ordinariness of Wormold who only wanted a few daiquiris and to make his daughter Milly happy. I loved the scenes with Captain Sagura, Wormold might not have really been a spy, but he was certainly a diplomat the way he tap danced around the Red Vulture.

Knowing the history of Cuba adds a layer of urgency to the story and raises the stakes of this spy spoof. Wormold's absurd made-up crisis wasn't so farcical after all. I wonder what Greene made of the events that unfolded a few years after he wrote this.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I loved the setting and enjoyed the humour, especially as it wasn't an all-out farce but would be half-serious one moment and then lapse into an hilarious silliness. My first laugh-out loud bit was the vacuum customers needing to be calmed about atomic fears, another favourite was the interlude in England where the plans Wormold has sent resemble vacuum cleaner parts and I also really enjoyed Wormold becoming so invested in his imaginary agents.

However, it all seemed to fizzle a bit in the last quarter or so for me. I just didn't find that part as funny as the rest and I suppose once most of the pieces were laid out it became a little more predictable than it had been before.

One particular thing seemed to break the story a little bit for me: at the dinner where Wormold was to speak, he's incredibly nervous about being poisoned, and he doubts everyone at first - except the very person who almost poisons him. If it were set up better I might have bought it better and I know Wormold wasn't any master spy but as it was the man was clearly suspicious and I thought it was a bit of sloppy plotting even for a humorous book; at least, it stuck out for me in this one.

Also, I didn't get that Beatrice was so bad at her job as the interlude first mentioning her made her out to be. I suppose that was so that we could buy her not realising Wormold was making things up?

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Jeremy Northam; he did a really good job and I enjoyed it, except that the music used in between chapters and breaks was a little overbearing and long. Sometimes the music seemed to last for half a minute or more! Synamon, did you listen to the same one? What did you think of the music if so?

ETA - Has anyone hear seen the Coen brothers' Burn After Reading? it's a great film and I thought of it as I listened to this book. It's very different in setting but has the similar feel of a black comedy with ordinary people getting roped into a bumbling covert agent plot.

Last edited by sun surfer; 05-20-2015 at 12:48 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I listened to the audiobook narrated by Jeremy Northam; he did a really good job and I enjoyed it, except that the music used in between chapters and breaks was a little overbearing and long. Sometimes the music seemed to last for half a minute or more! Synamon, did you listen to the same one? What did you think of the music if so?
I did listen to the same one and was grateful that I listened in the car since the very loud musical interludes would have blasted my eardrums if I'd been using earphones. I don't usually like music in audiobooks since it takes me out of the story, but on my long trip I found the music invigorating and it did set the mood for each chapter's location.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The movie, with Alec Guinness as Wormold and Noel Coward as Hawthorne, is excellent. You can get it on Netflix DVD or Amazon Instant Video.
http://mountainx.com/movies/reviews/our_man_in_havana/
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I listened to the Jeremy Northam audio book as well. I thought he did a terrific job of reading all the characters.

I found the music odd, but after a while I began to enjoy them. I listened while I was walking to station on my way to work each morning and I had to stop myself from shaking invisible maracas. It did go on a bit though.

I really enjoyed this story. I found it funny and utterly stupid - in a good way. After listening to the audio book I tracked down a library copy of the paperback and read it as well.

I think Beatrice was not necessarily introduced as incompetent, but troublesome. Given the attitude she had towards her employer, I'm not surprised the office looked for an excuse to send her somewhere else.

Burn After Reading was hilarious. I definitely see what you're getting at sun surfer.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I won't have time to post my thoughts until the weekend, but I can't resist adding that I also listened to Jeremy Northam. Did anyone actually just read It?

I couldn't stand the music, loud, long and obtrusive. Like Synamon, I'm glad I had to listen to it in the car (my Overdrive hold didn't come up in time so I borrowed the CDs) or I'd be permanently deafened.

P.$. Loved it, despite the weak ending. I wish it had ended with Wermold and Millie on the plane.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I'm in. Seems to be no ebook option so I'm downloading the audio book. I loved The Quiet American.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Knowing the history of Cuba adds a layer of urgency to the story and raises the stakes of this spy spoof. Wormold's absurd made-up crisis wasn't so farcical after all. I wonder what Greene made of the events that unfolded a few years after he wrote this.
I listened to the audiobook like everyone else since it was available at my library. I also thought that it was interesting how it anticipated future political events in the region. Wikipedia has a good summary on the inspiration for Wormold. I had expected a serious espionage thriller rather than a lighter spoof. I still enjoyed it and found it entertaining.

Quote:
Greene joined MI6 in August 1941. In London, Greene had been appointed to the subsection dealing with counter-espionage in the Iberian peninsula, where he had learned about German agents in Portugal sending the Germans fictitious reports which garnered them expenses and bonuses to add to their basic salary. One of these agents was "Garbo", a Spanish double agent in Lisbon, who gave his German handlers disinformation, by pretending to control a ring of agents all over England. In fact he invented armed forces movements and operations from maps, guides and standard military references. Garbo was the main inspiration for Wormold, the protagonist of Our Man In Havana.

Remembering the German agents in Portugal, Greene wrote the first version of the story in 1946, as an outline for a film script, with the story set in Estonia in 1938. The film was never made, and Greene soon realised that Havana – which he had visited several times in the early 1950s – would be a much better setting, the absurdities of the Cold War being more appropriate for a comedy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
P.$. Loved it, despite the weak ending. I wish it had ended with Wermold and Millie on the plane.
Agreed! I like your suggestion of how it should have ended.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:15 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Deleted post sorry!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #11
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I liked the ending mainly because of the reason given for him getting a job and commendation. But the final ending I could have probably done without.

Don't know if you caught it issybird, but I actually read the book as well. Of course, that was after the audio book so I was hearing Northam's voice in my head as I was reading. I loved his reading of the Chief.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 AM   #12
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm surprised this was nominated as a Mystery/Thriller read. I would consider it Humour. The only sense of mystery about it was wondering what the mystery was. Or thriller? I was not thrilled. The characters did not interest me. I read the ebook so if the audiobook improved upon things that is a plus. In fact, I'd consider it among one of the weakest Book Club selections that I've read so far. I see it is tagged as "Literature" on Goodreads which is surprising as I didn't feel the writing was overly stellar. I was thankful it was short.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #13
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I guess I'm one of the few who read the book. I don't generally like audio books so I don't think to listen to them, but after the praise here I might give it a go at some point.

I loved this book. The ending was a little disappointing, but it kept me laughing and reading throughout. I actually laughed out loud when he dismantled the vacuum, drew the pieces and added a two inch man below the nozzle and "dressed him neatly in a dark suit, and gave him a bowler hat and an umbrella."
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Not that long ago, I read a dual biography of the Dulles brothers, who were responsible for the failures in American foreign policy and intelligence in the 50s. This book was a hilarious and all too plausible counterpoint. The name Dulles was mentioned in passing at the businessmen's banquet, in fact.

I loved it, as I said above. It was simultaneously highly comic, pertinent, penetrating and menacing, as well as supremely inventive. I had so much fun reading it that I could forgive it for the prolonged and rather flat ending. I still snickered at bits, including their fetching up at a temperance hotel, for a man who was used to a mid-morning daiquiri for his pick-me-up. In itself, it expressed the vast gulf between the lush tropical life in Havana and the yet cold and gray life in England in the 50s.

One very minor quibble is that I didn't think the two women, Millie and Beatrice, were quite as credible as the men, but that might have been due to the inherent issue of a male narrator. At that, they were still believable to me, even to Millie's religious devotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I actually laughed out loud when he dismantled the vacuum, drew the pieces and added a two inch man below the nozzle and "dressed him neatly in a dark suit, and gave him a bowler hat and an umbrella."
This was my single favorite moment, too. I'm so glad you nominated this! Thanks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote