Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Galaxy Note 10.1 with Split Screen

Releasing this week for $499 for the 16GB version.

Quote:
So, Samsung is trying something new. This week, it is releasing a new flagship full-size tablet, the Galaxy Note 10.1, designed around two key features the iPad lacks—a stylus and several apps that allow you to use it for note-taking and sketching, and the ability to view two apps at once in a split-screen view.

In particular, Samsung is betting on the stylus, which the company calls the S Pen, to attract users who find typing on glass to be limiting and might want, at least occasionally, to simulate pen and paper. The late Apple CEO Steve Jobs disdained the stylus as a tool, although lots of third-party styluses are now sold for use even with the iPad.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Trying something new? I don't think so. Windows 7 does the split screen. Been there, done that and it's no longer new.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Trying something new? I don't think so. Windows 7 does the split screen. Been there, done that and it's no longer new.
Really please show me where I can get Windows 7 tablet with capacitive touch screen, a wacom pen selling for $500.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CNEBEPMCMAg

Win 7 tablet PC
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Used maybe, but not NEW.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I owned that tablet for 3 months. If you lay it on the table the screen washed out. Terrible viewing angles. I wouldn't buy it at 100 dollars.. I was disappointed in the Notes resolution but I'd take that any day over the HP..
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
the features excite me but still waiting for the Note 2
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
At last some real, Windows like multitasking in Android. Perhaps the upcoming Windows Surface devices are pushing them towards more innovation?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
At last some real, Windows like multitasking in Android. Perhaps the upcoming Windows Surface devices are pushing them towards more innovation?
Agreed. Innovation in terms of designing tablets for creation in addition to consumption.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Isn't it ironic that everyone is oooohing and aaaahing over features that both Windows and MacOS has been doing for years? Split screens? How about multiple, movable, resizable windows, decent cut and paste, and drag and drop.

Please!!!

Last edited by wodin; 08-16-2012 at 07:00 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Isn't it ironic that everyone is oooohing and aaaahing over features that both Windows and MacOS has been doing for years? Split screens? How about multiple, movable, resizable windows, decent cut and paste, and drag and drop.

Please!!!
Well, Steve Jobs took these away from us (when he dumbed down devices others followed) and now they are coming back. Why shouldn't we rejoice, I have always wanted mobile devices to be more PC like -- as in full multi-tasking and with multiple windows (on tablets).
Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

That being said, the screen resolution is very disappointing, so is the use of a dual-core processor. Oops, it is a quad-core, as I just found out.

Last edited by HansTWN; 08-16-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That being said, the screen resolution is very disappointing, so is the use of a dual-core processor. Oops, it is a quad-core, as I just found out.
Yea the spec's are fine, its the screen thats disappointing. I have an iPad 3 so this would be really a huge down grade in resolution.. I think I could go with 16x9 or 19x10, but 12x8.. urgh..

The multi screen only works with a handful of apps..all samsung made..and Samsung is terrible at supporting their devices..

I'd probably still pull the trigger at a higher resolution.. right now im sitting and waiting for more reviews to come in and to see the screen in person..
Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
You're kidding right? The Surface tablet is a regression as well. People are excited about it because they think they will get a full fledged OS instead they will get a hobbled tablet with limited features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
The multi screen only works with a handful of apps..all samsung made..and Samsung is terrible at supporting their devices..
Yeah I figured Samsung would have to tweak their apps to work in that configuration.

What's sad is the two real leader in the Android space are Asus and Samsung. Samsung is having to tweak the OS to give more flexibility and be more of a consumption based device. And here we have Google trying spending all their energy coping Amazon. Meanwhile the tablet space is left hobbling.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
You're kidding right? The Surface tablet is a regression as well. People are excited about it because they think they will get a full fledged OS instead they will get a hobbled tablet with limited features.

Yeah I figured Samsung would have to tweak their apps to work in that configuration.

What's sad is the two real leader in the Android space are Asus and Samsung. Samsung is having to tweak the OS to give more flexibility and be more of a consumption based device. And here we have Google trying spending all their energy coping Amazon. Meanwhile the tablet space is left hobbling.
I know! And believe me I really really want this device..but then if the screen resolution doesn't stop me.. the fact its made by Samsung does. They give you that stupid touch wiz.. tweaked out apps, then support it for 1 or two updates and cut you lose. They want you to upgrade to new devices by stopping support on older ones. Devices that are far from old..

I'm still not holding my breath.. I really need to see what text, book, pdf's look like..Im ok with pictures at a lower resolution but sharp text is a must for me.

Either way, if I buy it it will be with the knowledge Samsung will probably upgraded it to Jelly bean and stop supporting it.