Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
mted558
mted558 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
update download error message

Every time I try to update Calibre I get an error message that says
"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with the installer package" error 2503 then same message and error 2502. I get the same message if I try to uninstall Calibre as well. So how do I fix it?
mted558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That often means a corrupt download. Have you tried downloading from the alternate site in case you have a bad cacehed copy somewhere.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
mted558

I tried downloading from different sites, tried uninstalling which it won't let me do and even tried downloading an earlier version and still getting the same error message.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mted558 View Post
I tried downloading from different sites, tried uninstalling which it won't let me do and even tried downloading an earlier version and still getting the same error message.
Standard solutions to this problem:
1)Do NOT use a download manager.
2)Disable your antivirus (only if you use an official source)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
mted558

I don't use a download manager. Tried disabling my antivirus program then tried the download and still the same error message. I really like using this program but not sure what I'm going to do now if I can't even get it installed.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
Gazerwolf
Enthusiast
Gazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheese

Device: 2 K2 Int, K4 SO, K4 Keyboard, Kindle DXG,Voyage(broke screen)PW4
I got similar errors when upgrading to 8.10. I was downloading to a networked drive. What solved it for me was to download to a drive actually in my machine.

(I hadn't had that error prior to then....and I haven't upgrades FROM 8.10 yet. so YMMV)
Gazerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
mted558

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm already downloading to a local drive so I don't think that's my issue. But I tried downloading to my external drive just in case and still got the same issue. Anyone else have any suggestions???
Old 07-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm already downloading to a local drive so I don't think that's my issue. But I tried downloading to my external drive just in case and still got the same issue. Anyone else have any suggestions???
What version of Windows (and SP) are you using?
XPpro SP3 8.12 works
W7hp SP1 8.12 works
Old 07-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
mted558

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
Old 07-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
The only thing I did different, was I used the download I had grabbed with XP for the XP update.
I use Firefox 5 ALL platforms
Old 07-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
mted558

how do i get an XP formatted download? and I use Chrome. Could that be an issue?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
how do i get an XP formatted download? and I use Chrome. Could that be an issue?
the XP download is just a WINDOWS download.

Does chrome have a anti-whatever_might_be _bad_for_your_computer toolbar?

something is messing up your Calibre install download.

BTW I always keep the last 2 known good update downloads, 'just in case' I need to roll back
Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
lol.. I tend to keep all the downloads Once in a while I head through D:\Downloads and clean up (but not that often).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I use Chrome. Could that be an issue?
Anything is possible, try IE or Firefox.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
mted558

i actually tried going back to some previous downloads but got the same message with each one. I tried using Firefox and IE but still the same thing. I've probably screwed everything up now by trying to download over and over again and deleting, etc.etc...... I did a search on my computer and just deleted everything associated with calibre hoping that would solve the problem but when I tried to download I got the same error. I know it has to be something so easy that I'm missing but for the life of me I can't figure it out. And I'm a prime example of have a little knowledge and being dangerous because it makes me feel like I know what I'm doing but apparently I don't.