Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Will someone buy me a book ...

... and convert it to ePub or any other format for me?

I want this:
http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Secret-Hi...tag=inkmesh-20

And I can't give amazon my money because
1) European money is not good enough for them and
2) non-kindle-owner money is not good either.

Any kind souls out there who would like to help a F. Paul Wilson fan get his fix? (haha ... fix ... get it?)
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
You do realize that in all likelihood the ebook is DRM'd and the DRM would have to be broken in order to do this?
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This appears to be a TOPAZ ebook. TOPAZ are locked to Kindles (or Kindle aps), and are created by Amazon for the publisher. This means that they are often exclusive to the Kindle Store.

I understand your frustration, but there is likely no way for you to get a legal copy of this ebook. Your best bet might be to spoof Kindle for PC into believing you are in the US (and then read it on your Windows PC), but I have not seen anyone describing how to do this.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This appears to be a TOPAZ ebook. TOPAZ are locked to Kindles (or Kindle aps), and are created by Amazon for the publisher. This means that they are often exclusive to the Kindle Store.

I understand your frustration, but there is likely no way for you to get a legal copy of this ebook. Your best bet might be to spoof Kindle for PC into believing you are in the US (and then read it on your Windows PC), but I have not seen anyone describing how to do this.
Which is a shame, cuz I'd have totally converted it for OP just for introducing me to a possible new series for my enjoyment.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
If you're really that desperate, you can always buy the paperback for EUR4,70 (European money) at Amazon DE.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

You might think I'm weird, but I just cannot read a paper book anymore. My whole body just refuses: it starts with an aversion to even pick it up, then to do the page flipping by hand ... I said you'd call me weird

Yes, I am aware of the fact that DRM would need to be broken. But rather than resort to completely illegal means (darknet) it'd be "less illegal" to buy it through a proxy. At least in my mind.

But TOPAZ sounds like an unbreakable DRM, so thank you for your answers and your willingness to help.

Let my try the spoofing thing, then.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I don't think you are weird. ebook reading is so comfortable, and.... well it's just WOW! that I really don't want to cover to cover read my pbooks anymore. I like to use my reference and research books, but I don't like to pleasure read the dead tree anymore
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
You might think I'm weird, but I just cannot read a paper book anymore. My whole body just refuses: it starts with an aversion to even pick it up, then to do the page flipping by hand ... I said you'd call me weird
I can read pbooks... but I can't enjoy the reading. I can deal with them as reference objects, but I can't read paper for pleasure anymore.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I don't think you are weird. ebook reading is so comfortable, and.... well it's just WOW! that I really don't want to cover to cover read my pbooks anymore. I like to use my reference and research books, but I don't like to pleasure read the dead tree anymore
Same here. I bought the first three JoAnna Carl Chocolate mysteries in paperback (omnibus edition) because they're not available in ebook, anywhere. I'm having the hardest time making myself read them, though, because I'm so spoiled to the experience of reading on my EZ Reader.

The physical book is trade paperback size, and it's so darn awkward to hold!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Buying the paperback is sure a step backwards. If DRM prevents me from buying an ebook I go to a certain swedish website which has a lot of ebooks and see if it's there. If it is, I'll get it and send an 'anonymous' email to Amazon telling them about what I had to resort to
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
There are pbooks I buy because I can't find them in digital form. I am very reluctant to start a pbook, regardless of how much I know I will like it, because I'm so used to my beautiful reading device. But once I start reading, I forget the form, I pay attention only to the content. It's the same with ebooks and pbooks - if you can't forget the medium and lose yourself in the story, something is wrong with either you or them.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
There are pbooks I buy because I can't find them in digital form. I am very reluctant to start a pbook, regardless of how much I know I will like it, because I'm so used to my beautiful reading device. But once I start reading, I forget the form, I pay attention only to the content. It's the same with ebooks and pbooks - if you can't forget the medium and lose yourself in the story, something is wrong with either you or them.
boy I don't. because of several injuries, leg and back, I can only sit for short periods of time. standing or laying down is pretty much my life now (or sitting on a big ball but that gets old also). there is such a huge difference between ebooks and pbooks when laying down!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Oh. Obvioulsy I had nothing like this in mind when I wrote my comment. I was talking about general pbook dislike. I'm happy that you found the kindle such a comfortable replacement for the pbooks. And by the way, I'm sitting on a big ball myself as we speak (ok write). Not that I need to, I just love balancing on it.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:07 AM   #14
mores
Guru

My son is like a dung beetle - he loves to roll our GymnastikBall through the entire appartment

Still haven't done the spoofing thing.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #15
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Buying the paperback is sure a step backwards.
I think that's silly. If the guy is that desperate to read this particular book, and he can't get the book in electronic form, why deprive himself of the pleasure of reading it. Just because you own an e-reader doesn't mean you should turn your back on the huge body of literature that's still only available in paper.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote