Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 07-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Is PalmOS Dead?

Just saw a nice thread started by Sammy over at the Palm Addicts Forums called Palm OS Your Views On The Future. Hop on over to take a look at some random thoughts from yours truly, and add some of your own.

There's been a lot of talk recently about the topic of whether or not PalmOS is dead, and whether PalmOS on Linux is too little too late, or even going to abandon support for traditional handhelds in favor of feature phones. I have to admit that I haven't read most of discussion or articles yet, but some of the places you might look in addition to all the forums...
* A podcast at 1src by Jeff Kirvin.
* A Pocket Factory article.
* One from Pocket PC Thoughts

And some of the original reporting about Patrick McVeigh's comments is here...
* A Vnunet report.
* A PalmInfoCenter report
Old 07-09-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I think we have way to little information of what PalmSource is doing with Linux right now as to draw to any definite conclusions of its recent departure from Cobalt. What does it really mean that Palm OS is dead? That we are finally ready to approach new software technology and move away from an OS that dates back over a decade? Well good then, I am actually GLAD that this Palm OS we know is passing over to the other side. It's time to move on, and whether you call the future Palm OS or Palm Linux or anything else doesn't really matter as long as PalmSource is working on enhancing our experience with mobile devices.
Advert
Old 07-09-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Yes, PalmOS is dead just like FreeBSD is dead, Apple is dead, and Microsoft Windows is dead.

All of these predictions have already come true... right?
Old 07-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
PalmOS will survive as long as Palm Inc. is around, and they are not going away anytime soon. They will stick to OS5 for the next few years and continue to customize it for their unique features. For example: NVFS and the HD in the Lifedrive.

I don't think PalmSource has much of a chance of surviving, OTOH. They are not the only player in the Linux field. By the time actual "PalmLinux" devices reach the hands of customers (at least 18 months from now, and probably twice as long as that), the space will have become very crowded. (Think Nokia.) And that is just assuming that the new OS will, indeed, be any good. The whole Cobalt fiasco doesn't inspire much confidence. Add to that the recent layoffs and things look very grim.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
dillon65
Connoisseur
dillon65 began at the beginning.

Device: TX
Hello everyone:

This is only my opinion, I have only been with Palm since 2003. I started out with a Palm 500, and quickly realised never buy an open box from a retail store.

Some how I bumped in to Brighthand, and learned about palm 101, then I met a nice individual who uttered a silly word called iSilo, then I met Alex, who believed in the ability to share his knowledge with the world.

I am tired of reading these threads, about is "Palm coming to an end." Unless, you have been in the high-level management meetings, you really have no right to predict about the little wishpers that you have heard about online.

If anything these types of threads deter "new user" from even thinking about buying a palm. Take a look at the American car manufactures, they are giving away their cars, with a signicant discount. This does not mean that they will file for bankcruptcy in the next ten years.

I hope that my opinion is not viewed as a negative one. However, because of threads like this one I almost purchased a PPC. I am bloody glad I did not, givin to such rubbish.

djw

Last edited by dillon65; 07-10-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Advert
Old 07-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon65
Hello everyone:

This is only my opinion, I have only been with Palm since 2003. I started out with a Palm 500, and quickly realised never buy an open box from a retail store.

Some how I bumped in to Brighthand, and learned about palm 101, then I met a nice individual who uttered a silly word called iSilo, then I met Alex, who believed in the ability to share his knowledge with the world.

I am tired of reading these threads, about is "Palm coming to an end." Unless, you have been in the high-level management meetings, you really have no right to predict about the little wishpers that you have heard about online.

If anything these types of threads deter "new user" from even thinking about buying a palm. Take a look at the American car manufactures, they are giving away their cars, with a signicant discount. This does not mean that they will file for bankcruptcy in the next ten years.

I hope that my opinion is not viewed as a negative one. However, because of threads like this one I almost purchased a PPC. I am bloody glad I did not, givin to such rubbish.

djw

I myself have to agree with you in that ye age old adage of "{insert here} is dead" is getting old, and a bit long in the tooth. Both platforms (palm and PPC) are still improving, and both still have a long way to go.

Catch ya around the boards.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon65
However, because of threads like this one I almost purchased a PPC. I am bloody glad I did not, givin to such rubbish.
Very well spoken. It reminds me somehow of dedicated Apple fans who never get tired of comparing their favorite OS to Windows PCs. Isn't it amusing that most of the bashing and comparing happens on Apple-related sites? Same thing now with Palm OS fans. Many feel threatened by external factors they have no influence over. Factors such as PalmSource's recent layoffs and announcement that Cobalt is vaporware. Instead of wondering what might have gone wrong inside the company, fans just go on the offensive and start making abstruse comparisons why Palm OS is still better then let's say Windows Mobile. I am not critizing Palm OS fans. It is a common phenomenon among minority groups feeling obliged to defend something that is not even their own fault.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I like that...minority groups...

(although its in everyones interests for Palm to stay competitve meaning alive)
Old 07-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #9
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
If nothing else, they can always write emulators to run Palm applications on PPC platform, just so that they can continue to promulgate the most across all areas of the handheld market. /evil grin/

If Microsoft is truly an amoeba in how it absorbs things, then Palm can spread out too! I don't have a good analogy in mind in how Palm can do this, but I'm sure someone craftier than I can figure something out for a literary phrase. :-)
Old 07-16-2005, 01:00 AM   #10
tokerud
tokerud began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 650
There may have been some delays and mishaps here and there, but I like what Palm is saying now about the really excellent future for mobile devices. The Palm line up is still impressive. I just got a Treo 650 June 6th and am thrilled with it. Enthusiasts will always champ at the bit for more advanced and cutting edge models. I would like 2 slots and eventually will want a bigger screen - perhaps a second wi-fi device to compliment my Treo. I think Palm will rise to the occasion and continue to be a contender in this space.