Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
hobscrk777
hobscrk777 began at the beginning.

Device: Undecided
Difference Between .AZW and .PDF

Hello all,

I'm a new member here. I just found this great forum in my search to find the best e-reader suited for me. Currently, a Kindle 2 is at the top of my list.

My question has to do with having the same book in two different formats - .azw and .pdf. I have a few e-books that I've purchased in pdf format over the years. I understand that Kindle support for pdf documents is spotty at best, because pdf's format the page pretty rigidly. What if I were to re-purchase some of these books through the Kindle store? What sort of difference would I see? Would the .azw version be noticeably easier to read than the .pdf (either because of better formatting, larger text size, etc.)?
hobscrk777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle does not support PDF at all. You have to convert PDF files to Kindle format (.mobi, .prc, or .azw) before reading. Sometimes the files convert well, sometimes they do not. If they are mostly straight text, it is usually not bad, but can have line breaks in odd places.

There are free software tools available to convert PDF to Kindle format, such as Calibre, Mobipocket Creator (Publisher edition), and the service where you can email the document to Amazon for conversion, either straight to your Kindle, or to your regular email address. If to free.kindlename.com (regular email address), you can move the file to the Kindle via USB.

When you buy a new book, buy it in non-Secure Mobipocket format, or from the Amazon Kindle store.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
And if Amazon offers the same book for the Kindle from its store, then it'll be either in AZW or Topaz format. No harm in buying it and seeing if you like the formatting; if not you can always call them up and they'll refund your money.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobscrk777 View Post
I have a few e-books that I've purchased in pdf format over the years.
If these are DRM-free PDFs, then one way to see how they will look on the Kindle is to import them into the Windows MobiPocket Reader. This will convert the PDF to MOBI, in a similar way to Amazon's conversion. If you make the Reader's viewing windows about 600x800 pixels this is similar to how the ebook will look on the Kindle. Note that the text size can be changed and the text adapts (reflows) to the screen. You are probably familiar with this already, because most web pages act this way, but with standard PDFs you typically magnify the page without it reflowing.

If these are Adobe PDF ebooks (only currently viewable using Adobe Digital Editions), then they have DRM (encryption) and can't be converted directly to the Kindle. The DRM can be stripped though, see Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented. This is generally thought to be illegal in the US, although it is hard to see who is hurt by doing so for personal use on ebooks you bought.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
hobscrk777

Thanks for the quick replies. I think wallcraft has a good idea. I'm going to try converting the .pdf's to .mobi's to see what the formatting looks like.
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another suggestion is to download the free samples and see how they look compared to your converted PDF and then decide if you want to purchase from Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
hobscrk777

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another suggestion is to download the free samples and see how they look compared to your converted PDF and then decide if you want to purchase from Amazon.
I wasn't aware that there were free samples (keep in mind I don't actually own a Kindle yet). Can you see these free samples on a PC or do you have to access them directly from a Kindle?
Old 03-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobscrk777 View Post
I wasn't aware that there were free samples (keep in mind I don't actually own a Kindle yet). Can you see these free samples on a PC or do you have to access them directly from a Kindle?
You can't get them without a Kindle (or a iPhone/Touch w/Kindle App), but for some books you can get samples from Mobipocket.com and view them in their desktop software (if you use Windows) to get a general idea on how they look.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If PDF support is important to you, the Kindle (which doesn't support it at all!) is a very poor choice of device. You'd be better off with a Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:35 AM   #10
zipzip
zipzip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
The weird thing is I tried having Amazon convert a couple different PDF documents, but once transferred back to the Kindle, they just plain didn't show up. They're not in the list of books and documents at all... however, they are in the Documents folder on the Kindle. with an extension of .pdf.azw.
zipzip is offline   Reply With Quote