Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Reading Sherlock Holmes

I'd like to try and read some Sherlock Holmes. Is it important to read the stories/novels in a certain order? And would I be able to read them in English, if I could only read modern English?
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
It's not necessary to read the stories in a particular order as they don't refer to each other very much. But I would suggest you to read this version:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12677
that has all stories in their chronological order in one place.

English isn't my first language either but I had no problem following the stories (of course, sometimes with the help of the dictionary). Just try it!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
It's not necessary to read the stories in a particular order as they don't refer to each other very much. But I would suggest you to read this version:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12677
that has all stories in their chronological order in one place.

English isn't my first language either but I had no problem following the stories (of course, sometimes with the help of the dictionary). Just try it!
Not all. Just the Doyle ones.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The English language hasn't really changed much since Arthur Conan Doyle wrote his stories so you should have no trouble with the language. A book like the Fairie Queen or the works of Shakespeare are more likely to trip you up due to the changes of meaning, spelling and antiquated terms than Doyle's writing. Some things like gasogene's and acid stained deal desks might confuse since we don't use such things anymore but they don't cause much problem, and if you can find a copy of the 2 volume set of "The Annotated Sherlock Holmes" you will find good data for understanding such bits and pieces.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
If you are reading a paper version of the stories, just make sure you get a version that uses modern fonts. Nothing is worse to read than the font styles of 19th century newspapers; I've got a Holmes anthology in that format and it is just annoying.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
The edition I have (Barnes and Noble Classics) has footnotes for any word or expression that would trip up a modern reader. I find them very convenient. Obviously this version is not meant for Kindle (and I have no idea how footnotes survive a conversion?) but there is probably something equivalent for Kindle.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
The edition I have (Barnes and Noble Classics) has footnotes for any word or expression that would trip up a modern reader. I find them very convenient. Obviously this version is not meant for Kindle (and I have no idea how footnotes survive a conversion?) but there is probably something equivalent for Kindle.

eP
Barnes & Nobles has apparently started selling their Classics Editions on places other than the nook store, so you can now get them from Sony and for the Kindle. I don't know if all of them are available on Kindle or not. Freading also has them if your library offers that, but it's only in epub format.

Also, on my Sony Reader, the footnotes in the B&N Classics Edition of The Wizard of Oz are hyperlinked both ways (selecting the footnote will take you to the list of footnotes/endnotes, then selecting the number again will take you back to the text) although the Sony handles position history natively.

Last edited by hwlester; 02-28-2013 at 08:59 PM.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote