Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
rsingh18
rsingh18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4(?)
Disable / protect USB Drive access

I'd like to protect /disable access to the USB Drive mode / Kindle disk via USB Cable. Would appreciate it if someone could point me to the right hack (if there is one) for this, or suggest how this could be done.
Thanks!
rsingh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
On a K3, killing/preventing volumd from starting *should* more or less do what you want, provided there's no usbnet hack installed. It might also horribly break the framework, can't remember if volumd is needed for more stuff than USB MS handling, so, errm, have fun!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You can install truecrypt on it. There is an arm version, you know.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
or ( w/o installing anything) just switch to usbnetwork mode
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
or ( w/o installing anything) just switch to usbnetwork mode
But what lazy foo wants to take the easy way out?

Actually, I keep my kindles in usbnet mode all the time, and just use scp or WinSCP to get files in and out. You can protect it by changing the root password if you want. Simple and easy and keeps out the noobs (but not secure -- could MfgTool/flash default main, and access usb drive again). For total security, truecrypt really is the best option, but I have not installed it on any of my kindles yet.

But for NORMAL use, yes, just keep it in USBnet mode to keep it from showing as a USB drive.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
rsingh18

Doing that on a K4NT

Thanks. What would be the quickest way to do that for the K4NT. I tried putting the jailbreak on my Kindle 2.5 International version.. it gave me the 'Update was not successful' Message, and life's back to normal/boring. Before I mess around with my new kindle (thats the 4NT) , I just want to make sure I'm going about it the right way...
Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingh18 View Post
Thanks. What would be the quickest way to do that for the K4NT. I tried putting the jailbreak on my Kindle 2.5 International version.. it gave me the 'Update was not successful' Message, and life's back to normal/boring. Before I mess around with my new kindle (thats the 4NT) , I just want to make sure I'm going about it the right way...
Thanks again.
The jailbreaks work if you use one that matches your firmware version.

For the K4 (you do not need "Non-Touch", because the Touch is a K5), the older methods do not work on new firmware. Get the "data.tar.gz" jailbreak from the wiki.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
rsingh18

I also tried playing with the ENABLE_DIAG file to figure out USB NET. While my kindle gives me the ssh info, I cant seem to ssh to it.

I then went ahead and installed Yifan Lu's data.tar.gz (1.1 ?) , and that got me jailbroken fine on the K4 (i think, since I got the You're jailbroken now doc in my library) .

I proceeded to install simple_usbnet_1.1 (Again d/l off Yifan's page) , and updated.

BUT, I still cant seem to ssh. Host Down! I'm doing this from my osx terminal window to my kindle which is on the same wireless network. My wireless network follows a 10.0.0.x scheme, but i manually configured my mac to 192.168.15.1 . That should work right?????

What am I doing wrong here? (apart from asking too many questions!)
Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
rsingh18

Just a quick one there... does the Kindle stick to its 192.168.15.244 even if the DHCP Serv on its wifi network dishes out some other ip???
i.e. does the ssh host on the kindle have its ip independent of the wifi ip.

And , at the sign of sounding even more stupid.. are we networking via the wifi , or the usb port?????
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
Just a quick one there... does the Kindle stick to its 192.168.15.244 even if the DHCP Serv on its wifi network dishes out some other ip???
i.e. does the ssh host on the kindle have its ip independent of the wifi ip.

And , at the sign of sounding even more stupid.. are we networking via the wifi , or the usb port?????
On K4, I use wifi for main, and usbnet for diags "N) U) Z) X)" menu items. USBnet uses 192.168.15.244, wifi uses what your dhcp server gave it.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
rsingh18

Am literally dreaming of kindle diagnostic menus now.

Ok .. here goes.

Jail break using Yifan,
Install usbnet_1.1
;un or other ; commands dont have any effect on the kindle, other than searching for the terms.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
rsingh18

Stuck

Am stuck here. I can ssh to the device while its in Diagnostic Mode, with Enable USBnet. BUT, it does ask me for a password, and I dont know what that is.

usbnet1.1 doesnt seem to work

( despite instructions like 1) From the home screen, tap the search bar titled "Tap to search"
2) In the search box, type in either ";usbnetwork" or ";un" without the quotes and press enter. )

Its not Touch, so no tapping.. I anyways use the keyb to do all this.. but it just returns search results!!!

Any help here would be appreciated.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
rsingh18

Ok! Managed the password (apparently was floating around this forum, ..seek and you shall find i guess..)

Now how do I make the USBNetwork Mode permanent! ??? (script??)

Going back to the original quest - I need to switch off the usb as a drive mode!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
Ok! Managed the password (apparently was floating around this forum, ..seek and you shall find i guess..)

Now how do I make the USBNetwork Mode permanent! ??? (script??)

Going back to the original quest - I need to switch off the usb as a drive mode!
A popular option for the K4 is to add a line to iptables so you can always SSH in via Wi-Fi, as described in the wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking

That is what I use. I have never taken the time to figure out how to use USBnet when booting from main, but I want to learn this. Does anybody have instruction for how to enable USBnet on a K4?

If so, we could add it to a startup script (which should look for a sentinel/trigger file on the USB drive, just like the USBnet hack for the K3).

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-22-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
rsingh18

Yifan Lu's simple_usbnet_1.1 seems to work. Though I cant trigger it via the ;un commands (or can I?) , if I ssh in and run /usr/local/bin/usbnetwork.sh , that moves the usb port to an ethernet interface.

But, like you mentioned.. how do i trigger this script file on each boot ?

Also, if I were to change root (both diag/main as well as ssh over wifi) AND framework's passwords, does that break something..???