Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
3500 Books??? Really?

The advertising blurb states you can put 3500 books on the kindle 3.

The question has anyone actually done this?

And does it impair the performance of the kindle?

I understand indexing would probably freeze it for a week if 3500 books were put on it probably , based on reports of a hundred books being put on it.

Anyway of disabling the indexing?

Navigation must be very difficult as the kindle does not support folders.

If 3500 books were put on the kindle, could i just scroll down/up a list of either authors or titles on just 1 page?

Does the kindle support scrolling or would it be a separate page for say a dozen items per page?
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
Purge
Enthusiast
Purge began at the beginning.

Device: None
1) No idea. Probably.

2) I don't imagine it would have a significant effect on the Kindle's performance, at least not when reading a book.

3) I doubt it would freeze, but certainly run out of battery faster and be a little slower as it indexed them.

4) Not that I'm aware.

5) You can create custom collections to help you navigate.

6) I assume pages, but I'm not entirely sure as I don't have mine yet.
Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
in all honesty, I very much doubt anyone would put 3500 book on in one go. It would be done gradually over time so indexing would not be bad.
Worst would the first time as you will put your biggest load on there first, I doubt it would be more than a few hundred in one go, or even then done in smaller batches to allow indexing to catch up
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have 647 books on mine so far, all indexed okay and no problems so far
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not making fun (and I'm really not looking for an explanation either), but I really don't understand the desire to keep every ebook you've every read (or plan to read) on the Kindle. It baffles the bajeebus out of me... but I'm used to being baffled by others. For me -- Calibre is the library and the Kindle is the small book-bag.

Oh yea, the 3500 number?? All depends on the size of the books, the formats of the books, the number of illustrations in the books... etc. Basically the number is a WAG.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not making fun (and I'm really not looking for an explanation either), but I really don't understand the desire to keep every ebook you've every read (or plan to read) on the Kindle. It baffles the bajeebus out of me... but I'm used to being baffled by others. For me -- Calibre is the library and the Kindle is the small book-bag.
I have 830 books in my Calibre library, they are currently split between two ebooks. I did have over 3000 books on my pc but a few months ago we had an accident at home and we lost both our pc and our external hard drive, so I lost over 2000 books, these are free fan fiction stories so not held anywhere else, other than trawling the internet downloading them again, and some of them are not on the internet anymore.

The only books I had left were the ones on the two ereaders, as they weren't in the house at the time. Luckily they were the best ones. But I still lost the rest.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have 830 books in my Calibre library, they are currently split between two ebooks. I did have over 3000 books on my pc but a few months ago we had an accident at home and we lost both our pc and our external hard drive, so I lost over 2000 books, these are free fan fiction stories so not held anywhere else, other than trawling the internet downloading them again, and some of them are not on the internet anymore.

The only books I had left were the ones on the two ereaders, as they weren't in the house at the time. Luckily they were the best ones. But I still lost the rest.
sorry to hear about the flood in your house.

did you not back them up?

you can back up to gmail or yahoo.they have 4 to 6 GIGS of free online storage.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Oh yea, the 3500 number?? All depends on the size of the books, the formats of the books, the number of illustrations in the books... etc. Basically the number is a WAG.

3500 is the number amazon quote and it is important to find out if it correct as otherwise it would be false advertising.

i want to store ll my books o my pc and then i would never need to ever go back and forth but use the kindle as single source point for all books.

so i wander if any one can be persuaded to put 3500 books on their kindle.

how would the books show up.

i mean you can only see 10 items per page?

can we put 50 items per page.

otherwise we need to scroll thru 350 pages to find a book. (3500 divided by 10 items per page comes to 350 pages!!!)
Old 09-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
sorry to hear about the flood in your house.

did you not back them up?

you can back up to gmail or yahoo.they have 4 to 6 GIGS of free online storage.

yes I did back them up, onto my external hard drive, which I also lost. I now keep a second external hard drive in a seperate location.

I didn't know I could back them up online, I will look into that. Thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
yes I did back them up, onto my external hard drive, which I also lost. I now keep a second external hard drive in a seperate location.

I didn't know I could back them up online, I will look into that. Thanks
If you have a Windows Live account you can get a huge chunk of free online storage. A little app called Windows Live Sync can be used to keep specified folders synced with your web storage so any changes to your local files are automatically transferred to your online backup. I use it to backup a bunch of personal files. Another benefit is that you can access the files from any other internet-enabled device.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

3500 is the number amazon quote and it is important to find out if it correct as otherwise it would be false advertising.

i want to store ll my books o my pc and then i would never need to ever go back and forth but use the kindle as single source point for all books.

so i wander if any one can be persuaded to put 3500 books on their kindle.

how would the books show up.

i mean you can only see 10 items per page?

can we put 50 items per page.

otherwise we need to scroll thru 350 pages to find a book. (3500 divided by 10 items per page comes to 350 pages!!!)
Personally, I make sure that all of my Kindle books are in at least one "collection." That way, if you view by collections, you will just have a home page consisting of collection titles and nothing else. I rarely look for a book in an alpha list, either by author or by title. I just grab it out of the collection, and since one of my collections is "Now Reading," it's usually right there in a list of 4 or 5 books.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If you have a Windows Live account you can get a huge chunk of free online storage. A little app called Windows Live Sync can be used to keep specified folders synced with your web storage so any changes to your local files are automatically transferred to your online backup. I use it to backup a bunch of personal files. Another benefit is that you can access the files from any other internet-enabled device.
Thanks very much, i do have a windows live account so will definatley look into this
Old 09-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Some guy tried to explore those limits on Kindle 2: http://www.kindicted.com/2010/02/100...-kindle-2.html
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I didn't know I could back them up online, I will look into that.
Just open a Gmail account and send yourself an email ;-)
When you open a gmail account you can also log in into docs.google.com account, where you can upload 1 GB of data.

It is not reliable as an only storage, but when combined with a few other options it might simplify disaster recovery.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
[B][B]The advertising blurb states you can put 3500 books on the kindle 3.

The question has anyone actually done this?
You are not supposed to just load up the books!
You are supposed to BUY them at Amazon e-book store. One by one.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote