Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Navigating the K2 - retain Last Page Read

Gentlefolk;

Wondering if there is a feature here on the K2 that I haven't found yet.

Issue: I am reading a book. The K2 remembers where I am. Fine. But if a curious onlooker wants an into to the Kindle, I start clicking around, go to the beginning, hit a few TOC entries, and my Furthest Page Read is lost.

There is the Synch to Furthest Page Read which I gathers stores the location on the Amazon server, but this seems a bit of a hassle, when all I want the K2 to do remember the last page by default, regardless of where else in the book I click.

Is this a problem for which eveyone knows the solution except me?

Thanks!

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Bookmark your page before handing the Kindle over. For all the Kindle knows, it's *you* pushing all those buttons and skipping fast through a part you don't want to read.

Usually the "back" button will get you back to your page if they haven't done too much jumping around. The "back" button will step you back through the pages you've just visited. I'm not sure how far back you can go so bookmarking is the safest way to go.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
dwallbaum
Zealot

Thanks, Daff.... yeah, never think about bookmarking when I do a demo. I should...OTOH, if the K2 can synch to last page read on the Amazon server, it seems to me it can save this info locally on the K2 itself, by default.

Oh, well..just one more upgrade request...

<g>

Don
Old 01-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallbaum View Post
Thanks, Daff.... yeah, never think about bookmarking when I do a demo. I should...OTOH, if the K2 can synch to last page read on the Amazon server, it seems to me it can save this info locally on the K2 itself, by default.

Oh, well..just one more upgrade request...

<g>

Don
The "sync to the last page" feature, requires the wireless to be on. If you turn it off before handing your K2 over for someone to play with, it might just work (though bookmarking is easier and a sure thing). If you forget to turn off the wireless before handing the K2 over or forget to leave the wireless on long enough to sync, you'll still have a mess.

Bookmarking is the way to go.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Don,

I've been in the same situation as you. I generally find that just hitting the Back button will eventually get back to the page you want.

But as Mr 4U says, bookmarking the page in question is also a good option. You can do that very quickly by pressing Alt+B.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
dwallbaum
Zealot

Ahhh.... alt-b to bookmark...

VERY useful. I should RTFM sometime... <g>

And..I confess, I have not tried the multiple BACK buttons, I _ass_u_med that back just took you to the previous page, then back from whence you came. I didn't think to test it to see if an array had been captured that kept a series of pages retained.

Thanks, all!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
But as Mr 4U says, bookmarking the page in question is also a good option. You can do that very quickly by pressing Alt+B.
Ms. 4u
Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallbaum View Post
Ahhh.... alt-b to bookmark...

VERY useful. I should RTFM sometime... <g>

And..I confess, I have not tried the multiple BACK buttons, I _ass_u_med that back just took you to the previous page, then back from whence you came. I didn't think to test it to see if an array had been captured that kept a series of pages retained.

Thanks, all!
Believe me when I say you're not the only one who didn't know this. I only figured this out about a month ago. :P
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
hoermal
Enthusiast
hoermal began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505 und Kindle 2
You can write to amazon and tell them to reset the furthest page read. Works great.
hoermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
dwallbaum
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoermal View Post
You can write to amazon and tell them to reset the furthest page read. Works great.
Hmmm...that only works when you are connected to the 'net, wouldn't it? Amazon would have know way to know where I am in a book unless I connect to them. How would that work?