Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
ozziepuppy
ozziepuppy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Question about 503 Series

Sorry if this is covered in another post, but I did a search and could not find it.

Can someone please explain what the 503 series and 603 series comments mean when people are talking about Kindle Paperwhite screens? Where is this information? What do the different numbers mean?

My refurbished Kindle Paperwhite is going to be delivered any minute now. I checked the serial number in my amazon account and it did not have a 503 or a 603 in it. Hopefully the screen will be a good one. . .

Thanks,
ozziepuppy
ozziepuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
503 and 603 (as well as 501 and so on) are batch numbers.

People suspected or hoped that newer batches had better screens. This seemed not to be the case, as there are very good 501 Kindles, very bad 603 ones, but also the other way around.

Trying to obtain a specific batch number will (probably) be completely useless.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
Elrian
Elrian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I had to go through five different PW (all batch 502 bought from a french retailer) to get a decent screen. They were perfect colorwise but all had bright pixels.
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
ozziepuppy

Katsunami: You say, "Trying to obtain a specific batch number will (probably) be completely useless." Then how are people posting the batch numbers of their Kindles?

My Kindle Paperwhite has arrived and it does have the dreaded pink and bluegreen areas on it. However, it looks like the replacements that some forum members have been satisfied with after returning worse ones--in other words, the discolorations are visible, but pale.

I am keeping mine (although I did call amazon to let them know that their "certified refurbished" ones were not having any better quality control than their new ones). I had thought that getting a refurbished one might result in a better screen since it would have to be individually inspected and would not just be a random one off the assembly line.

After viewing the CNN review, I think mine is within what would currently be considered "normal limits" even though it is not completely white as per the amazon ads. However, I am a bit disappointed because I did hope to get one that looked like the ones on amazon's site.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziepuppy View Post
Katsunami: You say, "Trying to obtain a specific batch number will (probably) be completely useless." Then how are people posting the batch numbers of their Kindles?
Because people wanted to know if higher batch numbers had better screens compared to lower batch numbers.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
ozziepuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Because people wanted to know if higher batch numbers had better screens compared to lower batch numbers.
But you can only compare them if you know what they are, right? Not trying to belabor the point, but how do people even know there is a batch called "503" and a batch called "603" if there is no way to find out what they are?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

My Kindle Serial is:

B024 1502 ???? ????

The batch group is formed by the last three digits in the second group, in this case, 502.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-31-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #8
Hanners
Hanners began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
If you're still looking for the serial number:
1. Press the "Menu" button, select "Settings"
3. Press "Menu" button again and select "Device Info"

You will find your Kindle's MAC address, firmware version, serial number, free space etc. there.
Hanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
ozziepuppy

Good Grief! I just got mine and it is a 502 series (refurbished). Wow! Must be one left over from October or November. No dead pixels, though.

Tags
503, kindle, paperwhite, refurbished, screen