Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #16
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
New version! 0.6

Hi!

I've uploaded a new version. Has better browsing experience (scroll with the stylus) URL is:

http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad..._iliad-0.6.zip

And modified Yokos connection scripts to make two entries, one for connecting, and another for disconnecting.

http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...cripts-1.0.zip

I've incorporated Yokos manifest.xml and icons, too :-). Thanks Yokos :-b.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #17
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
A little help, please, for the clueless (surely there's more than just me?):

When I unzip the dillo package, I get - among other things - a lot of .gz files. Do I unpack these, too, before transferring the folder to the Iliad?

Also, will dillo run without a wifi connection present? (I don't have a LAN/WLAN connection that I can use right now, but I'd like to know if the browser is installed correctly before I venture out in search of a hotspot...)

Thanks!
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #18
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Antartica: I have not checked the new version but I will try.

Otherwise when I tried last time, I got so disappointed that browsing has consumed the battery of my iliad in just 2 hours (as opposed to reading was possible for 10 hours).
Now I've got the idea, that would it be possible to close the wireless every time a page has been downloaded and put the CPU in idle mode, or at least do nothing. But when you click on a link reconnect again to the wireless network in the background, download the webpage and disconnect again?
This way you could browse the net for 10 hours (with the exception of a few sites, where you need to log on and stay connected)

I hope somebody here knows how to do this and would help us to achieve this!
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 AM   #19
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo
A little help, please, for the clueless (surely there's more than just me?):

When I unzip the dillo package, I get - among other things - a lot of .gz files. Do I unpack these, too, before transferring the folder to the Iliad?
No, you should unzip the package as-is in the iliad. For example, i have unzipped both files inside the documents folder of the iliad (I have reserved the iliad "documents" folder for programs -- and moved all documents to another place O:-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo
Also, will dillo run without a wifi connection present? (I don't have a LAN/WLAN connection that I can use right now, but I'd like to know if the browser is installed correctly before I venture out in search of a hotspot...)
Yes. You can open dillo without a connection present.

The problem is that you cannot use (yet) the "File->Open file" dialog to open local files (because it requires the dpid daemon, that I have not compiled...). I'll look at it at some point into the future (ugh! dillo 0.7.3 didn't had this dependency -- it opened loal files without the the dpid daemon installed :-? -- it must be a new feature of the 0.8.x series of dillo).
Old 03-02-2007, 02:29 AM   #20
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo
Otherwise when I tried last time, I got so disappointed that browsing has consumed the battery of my iliad in just 2 hours (as opposed to reading was possible for 10 hours).
Now I've got the idea, that would it be possible to close the wireless every time a page has been downloaded and put the CPU in idle mode, or at least do nothing. But when you click on a link reconnect again to the wireless network in the background, download the webpage and disconnect again?
This way you could browse the net for 10 hours (with the exception of a few sites, where you need to log on and stay connected)

I hope somebody here knows how to do this and would help us to achieve this!
Hey! That was how the Apple Newton worked (AFAIK) .

If there is a way to bypass using connectionManager to do the connection, perhaps it can be done fast enough to be usable. Right now using connectionManager, it's like 5-8 seconds to connect in my setup (although I have the access point is quite far), and I don't think it'll be very usable this way if we connect/fetch page/disconnect. Anyway, in the zaurus it's like 3 seconds to connect, and I don't think that it can be done better than that.

P.S.: I had the impression that the batteries lasted more than 2h with wifi... I'll have to do some tests.
Advert
Old 03-02-2007, 05:00 AM   #21
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Nice work Antartica.

Is there any way to scroll using the up / down hardware keys? The vertical scroll bar is really difficult to use here because it's so narrow and my stylus isn't calibrated.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:54 AM   #22
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay
Nice work Antartica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay
Is there any way to scroll using the up / down hardware keys? The vertical scroll bar is really difficult to use here because it's so narrow and my stylus isn't calibrated.
Mine isn't well calibrated and I had that problem too: one of the improvements in this version, is that you can "pan" the page with the stylus.

Drag with the stylus any plain area (text or just background) and the page should scroll the amount you moved the stylus.

As for the vertical scrollbar and bad calibrated iliads: A nice thing of the wacom tablet of the iliad, is that it responds to events that are away from the physical screen. That means that you can click on the case next to the vertcal scrollbar and it will work (in fact, dragging also works this way). But I'm worried that using the stylus in the iliad case will damage it somehow... so I cannot recomend it :-(.

As to the hardware keys: the flipbar works, but there is a bug in my code that doesn't reset the busy led, so it's somewhat anoying. Personally, I only use the stylus while in dillo.

Last edited by Antartica; 03-02-2007 at 05:56 AM. Reason: typos, corrected syntax...
Old 03-02-2007, 06:19 AM   #23
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
T
Drag with the stylus any plain area (text or just background) and the page should scroll the amount you moved the stylus.
Wow, excellent! I missed that.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #24
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller

Thanks for the help, got one more:

<edit> Never mind, figured it out, unzipping error, sorry....

Last edited by The GreatGonzo; 03-03-2007 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Problem solved
Old 03-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #25
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller

Quick thank you to everybody who worked on this; runs like a charm, I'm enjoying it immensely...
Old 03-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #26
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
It's to me or the dillo browser have stopped to work in the 2.9....

now i will go to the forum of irex and see the people there ;-)

Last edited by kapoira; 03-05-2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: margins are ok
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #27
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
dillo complains it can't find the shared library "libXp.so.6".
So cping this file in the lib directory should maybe solve starting problems.

I attached a screenshot of dillo [firmware 2.8] - because there is no one in this thread.

[EDIT:] iLiad's os 2.9 likes dillo again.
Please copy the file "libXp.so.6" in the attached zip file to the subdirectory "lib" in your dillo directory.
[EDIT II:] changed zip-file [I added a short readme.txt]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dillo_screenshot.png
Views:	815
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	2899  
Attached Files
File Type: zip libXp.so.6.zip (12.7 KB, 558 views)

Last edited by yokos; 03-06-2007 at 11:17 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:13 PM   #28
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

A quick question to you techie gurus out there. I have been experimenting with some html files to view on the iLiad. To me it seems like it takes a lot of work with xml files to get them configured. I also have some that have some small javascript stuff in them for basic navigation - still trying to find some kind of self contained wiki to run on the iLiad. The thing is would dillo be a better viewer for html than the one currently installed in the iLiad? Could you just point it to a file and have it read just like you would Firefox or any browser that you would have on your PC? If this were the case it would be much more "plug & play" and "point & click" for most people and would be certainly less time consuming than messing with an xml file. Most of the screenshots that I have seen here seem to better formatted than what I have seen on the iLiad. We could even have a back button?

Thanx for any info
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:11 AM   #29
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat
The thing is would dillo be a better viewer for html than the one currently installed in the iLiad? Could you just point it to a file and have it read just like you would Firefox or any browser that you would have on your PC?
Not yet.

The current port can't open local files, as it tries to execute a helper program (dpid) and a plugin to open such files.

In the next revision I'll try to include the helper program and plugins so it can open local files and also we will get support for https.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:10 AM   #30
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
Hey! That was how the Apple Newton worked (AFAIK) .

If there is a way to bypass using connectionManager to do the connection, perhaps it can be done fast enough to be usable. Right now using connectionManager, it's like 5-8 seconds to connect in my setup (although I have the access point is quite far), and I don't think it'll be very usable this way if we connect/fetch page/disconnect. Anyway, in the zaurus it's like 3 seconds to connect, and I don't think that it can be done better than that.

P.S.: I had the impression that the batteries lasted more than 2h with wifi... I'll have to do some tests.
Nice work!!!

I agree, the connection is way too slow, even on my home network (where I am about 2 meters from my AP). And even 3 seconds extra delay would be irritating when just browsing.

If you actually manage to close connection and throttle CPU, perhaps a better solution would be to close connection and power down CPU after e.g. 10 seconds of network inactivity (i.e., you actually found an article you are going to read, instead of just following links).
narve is offline   Reply With Quote