Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #91
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I think a lot of what DMcCunney is saying makes sense. Both to my finite knowledge of the industry and what I've encountered as a consumer.

From the comments made, it is apparent to me that perhaps the greatest area of contention is the behind the scenes efforts that go into publishing a book. Some portion of this is, without doubt, greed - contractually inflicted for whomever's benefit. However, that is not the real issue.

The real issue seems to be the workflow model that the industry is using to create an ebook. They are trying to treat a re-flowable format as a per page format and have things a bit backward. Perhaps understandably. Because some ebook consumer is going to yell "foul!" if their ebook doesn't look exactly like the paper book. But this is adding a lot of additional overhead and effort that is in many ways wasted.

Based on advice I received when inquiring about editing ebooks, Adobe InDesign was a piece of software to seriously avoid. It simply added too much useless overhead and programmatic gobble-dee-gook (yes, it's a technical term ) to any output - at least with respect to ebooks. [To be fair, I should mention that this was about version CS3/CS4. I believe a new version was just released - perhaps things have improved.] So, for instance, I could take a simple text file into Sigil and get comparable output (at least) without nearly half of the trouble of dealing with InDesign. Oh, and without the DRM issues as well.

Honestly I think the publishing industry is going to find that they are in the midst of a paradigm shift. Yes, right now, an ebook is the "red-headed step-child" of the industry. Not wanted, not cared for, not catered to. Eventually, as Generation Y, and eventually Z, refuse to deal in heavy, dusty, old-school books the market will change.

The industry will simply... follow the money.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #92
dugong
Enthusiast
dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
It looks to me as if Penguin may be setting prices to discourage ebook sales. Are they doing this to encourage paperback sales?

On 4/25 I mentioned one title for which the ebook price was much more than the paperback price. The paperback edition of Maelstrom by Taylor Anderson, was available in B&N or Border stores for $7.99, but the ebook price from suppliers other than Amazon was $18.99.

The paperback has been out long enough so that used copies now show up on line for less than $5.00. You would expect the ebook price to come down. But instead, it went up, way up, to $24.95. I don't know if this was an error. If it is not, it would appear that Penguin does not want an ebook version of this title to be sold. Is this possible?
dugong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #93
lotrfan
Connoisseur
lotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugong View Post
It looks to me as if Penguin may be setting prices to discourage ebook sales. Are they doing this to encourage paperback sales?

On 4/25 I mentioned one title for which the ebook price was much more than the paperback price. The paperback edition of Maelstrom by Taylor Anderson, was available in B&N or Border stores for $7.99, but the ebook price from suppliers other than Amazon was $18.99.

The paperback has been out long enough so that used copies now show up on line for less than $5.00. You would expect the ebook price to come down. But instead, it went up, way up, to $24.95. I don't know if this was an error. If it is not, it would appear that Penguin does not want an ebook version of this title to be sold. Is this possible?
And that is why I am so reluctant to get an ereader. The two main appeals to me are storage space and savings over regular books. BTW I am not saying the ebooks have to cost a fixed amount but that they should be cheaper if only by $3 to $5. Why would I buy an ebook for $9.99 when the paperback is $6.99? It must be that they want us to buy the paperbacks so they don’t have to get them returned. But if so, that is such a narrow and short sided view as the future is in ebooks and the sooner they convert the better for them as in the long run they would save more.
lotrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #94
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Yeah, publishers need to get with the program. Authors and agents need to get up to speed, too, if they care about ebook sales (and they should).

Unfortunately for B&N, when I stopped by the Nook display for a demonstration, I had a copy of Tim Dorsey's FLORIDA ROADKILL in my hand, priced at $7.99. We looked it up for the Nook and the price was $9.99. Kind of embarrassing for the in-house salesperson!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #95
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
as far as the title of this thread is concerened is that true anymore? I spend over 30 mins. comparing books to Kindles price and found them all to be the exact same price.

I don't think Amazon has this advantage anymore.

Yeah we can thank Steve Jobs for this. Grrrrrr

Last edited by boswd; 05-23-2010 at 03:07 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #96
dugong
Enthusiast
dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

<< as far as the title of this thread is concerened is that true anymore? I spend over 30 mins. comparing books to Kindles price and found them all to be the exact same price. >>

This may be true in part because Amazon is being forced by publishers to conform.

But I still haven't found a good answer to why some publishers (e.g. Penguin) are forcing outrageous prices for certain ebooks. As a Sci Fi fan, my favorite example is Maelstrom by Taylor Anderson. When the paperback edition was released the ebook price was not reduced from $18.99. Instead, the ebook price went up to $24.95. Amazon is offering the ebook for $6.29 and is showing both their price and publisher listed price on the same page.

Maelstrom (Kindle Edition)
by TAYLOR ANDERSON (Author)
Digital List Price: $24.95 What's this? (Digital List Price is the suggested retail price set by the publisher)
Print List Price: $7.99
Kindle Price: $6.29

Amazon is probably taking a loss on this book.

But why is this happening? My opinion is that Penguin wants to discourage the sales of the ebook. I don't know if this is an isolated case or a more general trend.

Last edited by dugong; 05-23-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #97
dugong
Enthusiast

I have found part of the answer regarding the pricing for "Maelstrom" - I think. The retail price listed by the publisher is $24.95 and that is the price you will pay at Ebooks.com, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, etc - except Amazon.

But the publisher is offering the same ebook title for $6.99 at its own site, (http://us.penguingroup.com/) where I just bought an epub copy.

I'd still like to know more about whats going on. Is this a war? If so, who are the contenders? What is the battlefield? the objectives? What are the strategies & tactics? Who's winning?

What does it mean for the buyer of ebooks?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #98
dugong
Enthusiast

Here's a followup after buying Maelstrom from Penguin.

I bought a copy in epub format for $6.99 from Penguin, but I failed to read the warning in the fine print. I can read it on my laptop using Adobe reader, but it can't be read on my Nook. The file is DRM protected. I'd have to do something illegal to be able to read it anywhere but on my laptop.

I can buy a used paperback for $4, But because of a retinal problem, I'm loosing the ability to read small print. I prefer the option of enlarging the typesize. Also, the backlit screen on the laptop is no good for prolonged use.

I may have to wait until the whole price thing is reasonably resolved. Hopefully I will still have my eyesight then.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #99
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Here's a followup after buying Maelstrom from Penguin.

I bought a copy in epub format for $6.99 from Penguin, but I failed to read the warning in the fine print. I can read it on my laptop using Adobe reader, but it can't be read on my Nook. The file is DRM protected. I'd have to do something illegal to be able to read it anywhere but on my laptop.

I can buy a used paperback for $4, But because of a retinal problem, I'm loosing the ability to read small print. I prefer the option of enlarging the typesize. Also, the backlit screen on the laptop is no good for prolonged use.

I may have to wait until the whole price thing is reasonably resolved. Hopefully I will still have my eyesight then.
The Nook supports epub with the Abobe DRM. You need to active your Nook within Adobe Digital Editions, than you can use ADE to move the book to your Nook.

As for the lower price of Amazon. Amazon still has no new contract with Penguin. Because of that they are not allowed to sell Penguin books released after April 1. But they are allowed to sell older Penguin books under the old model, while other bookstores have to use the fixed prices of the agency model.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 AM   #100
dugong
Enthusiast

Thank you Geertm.

Your suggestion worked. I feel I have a little more power over this thing - and certainly more options.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #101
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Thank you Geertm.

Your suggestion worked. I feel I have a little more power over this thing - and certainly more options.
I am glad it worked. The great thing about the Nook is that you can buy books from different bookstores.
There are a lot of unhappy Kindle users at the moment who cannot buy Penquin books released after April 1. They have nowhere to go!
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #102
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I am glad it worked. The great thing about the Nook is that you can buy books from different bookstores.
There are a lot of unhappy Kindle users at the moment who cannot buy Penquin books released after April 1. They have nowhere to go!
yup, that was reason #2 I chose the Nook over the Kindle.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #103
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I have found part of the answer regarding the pricing for "Maelstrom" - I think. The retail price listed by the publisher is $24.95 and that is the price you will pay at Ebooks.com, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, etc - except Amazon.

But the publisher is offering the same ebook title for $6.99 at its own site, (http://us.penguingroup.com/) where I just bought an epub copy.

I'd still like to know more about whats going on. Is this a war? If so, who are the contenders? What is the battlefield? the objectives? What are the strategies & tactics? Who's winning?

What does it mean for the buyer of ebooks?
Apple's iBooks store lists it for $18.99. Penguin's deal on their own site sounds great!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #104
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
recently read "The Cardturner," by Louis Sachar. Happily, I found the ebook downloadable from our local library. B&N is selling the hardcover for $8.99, and not selling the EPUB at all. Amazon at least is not charging more tfor the digital book than the dead tree format.
http://www.inkmesh.com/ebooks/cardtu...y+Louis+Sachar
Hey, Sony! $12.59? Really?
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #105
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
Quote:

It looks that way publishers are being stupid and trying to slowly but surely kill the ebook industry. They are only shooting themselves in the foot in the long run. At some point books will be forced to go digital as have most things. I was looking at prices and some books are cheaper for the Nook than the Kindle. I have to have an e-reader because I live in a small city that after a major storm lost the only book store we had left and we haven't gotten a new one yet. So I'm looking for the e-book store with the best price and most choice. It's come down to Kindel or Nook for reading DRM books. I not worried though in the next 5 to 10 years I'm sure e-books will become the norm and prices will be forced to go down as publishers will be forced to conform or die.

Last edited by Avarwen; 06-02-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote