Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Woodbob
Woodbob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question Kindle Touch - Indexing

Hi,

I have an 18 month old Kindle Touch. Has been very slow and freezing up. After reading about "Indexing" and typed into search a bunch of letters my kindle said 150 not indexed. I deleted all these entries via the kindle.
I have back ups of the deleted books on my PC!

I did try to find the "Indexing and or Searching" files on my kindle via my PC but - not there...

Questions - What is indexing???? How do I start it?? Can I clear the indexing via the computer and how??? How do I know it's indexing???

Thanks..

Bob
Woodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbob View Post
Hi,

I have an 18 month old Kindle Touch. Has been very slow and freezing up. After reading about "Indexing" and typed into search a bunch of letters my kindle said 150 not indexed. I deleted all these entries via the kindle.
I have back ups of the deleted books on my PC!

I did try to find the "Indexing and or Searching" files on my kindle via my PC but - not there...
The actual index files are inside the "system/Search Indexes" directory on the USB partition of Kindle.

Quote:
Questions - What is indexing????
In one sentence: An index is a special data structure which allows to quickly find documents that contain specific words, without having to search through all the documents again and again. Indexing is the act of building an index and/or processing new documents to keep the index up-to-date. You can find more information about indexes here.

Quote:
How do I start it??
You don't. The Kindle automatically starts indexing new documents when it finds them.

Quote:
Can I clear the indexing via the computer and how???
You can delete the abovementioned directory. But the Kindle will only re-build it at the next occasion that it gets.

Quote:
How do I know it's indexing???
There's no direct way to determine that on the Kindle. But you can just search for some random word - if the device is still busy indexing, it will tell you so.

The indexer is one of the really fragile parts of the Kindle, it seems. I've seen Kindles behave in all kinds of weird ways, like re-starting to index files over and over, without ever getting any further. That's also what seems to happen on your device (150 items left...). This seems to happen very often if you put many files at once on the device. The only known workaround which mostly works is to put files on the Kindle in small batches (like ~ 20 books at a time), and waiting for the indexer to finish. Other than that, you can complain to Amazon and ask them to fix the indexer, or at least implement an option that allows people to turn it off altogether.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Woodbob

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answers. I was loading many books at once now I'll only load a few at a time. Thanks again

Bob
Old 09-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbob View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your quick answers. I was loading many books at once now I'll only load a few at a time. Thanks again

Bob
That's really the best answer. My suggestion is to reset your Kindle Touch to factory defaults to give it a nice fresh start and then just keep your current book and a few next books on board. You'll have to download them, and also download your dictionaries again.

I rarely have more than 20 books at any one time. Most of the time it's 5 or 6 books. When I get up around 18 or 20 books on it I'll go through and delete anything I don't expect to read in the near future.

By not using my Kindle as a storage device it becomes a much more graceful reading device.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Woodbob

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I'll most likely give that a try also if what I did doesn't work.
I had been thinking of the factory reset for some time now.

Bob
Advert