Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Aspect angst

Using the "power widget", I've noticed anytime I make a change, it switches the screen to portrait mode. Has anyone else found this annoying? I mean, why mess with the screen at all?

Also I run several other programs -- Klondike Solitaire for one, that works in landscape mode, but upside down, and I cannot flip it over.

I suspect some software tries to read the position sensor, and when it gets nothing but crickets, it resorts to a default value.

I know this must be just something I have to deal with, and I can certainly flip my PE when I need to, but I wondered if anyone had a more elegant solution?

Thanks
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Do you mean the power widget with the 5 icons on it? If so, mine doesn't change the screen to portrait when I'm in landscape. You got somethin' wrong, Bud!

I have Yukon Gold Solitaire, which I might have actually paid for, don't remember now. I was looking for a freecell app I could run in portrait mode. This one has Klondike as well and works for me in all 3 aspect configurations. I think I got it from Amazon Appstore, and I think there's a free version, too.

Could you have something interfering with the power widget, or otherwise somehow messing up your aspect changing abilities??
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Changing the power settings will always 'do' something with the LCD screen because it checks the voltage setting, hence power consumed, of the LED back lights.

Why this should change the orientation of the screen I don't know but think it might be some glitch in software.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
@Last_of_the_PEs

Simliar experience but from a different area. I like the ereader on the right vice left, but the PE starts the LCD is rightside up but the ereader screen is displayed upside down!

Before final initializing it flips and is oriented rightside up. Now this does 'not' happen with the ereader on the left.

Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

So no one else has the power widget causing a screen fidget.
Maybe I'll try unloading it and re-enabling it while the PE is in portrait mode -- maybe a starting flag got set wrong?

Thanks
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I just tried it out to see what happens, and if I have it in any landscape orientation and tap the lightbulb (which is supposed to do what???) it forces it to portrait. none of the other buttons effect orientation for me.
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

I tried dropping the widget into the trash and re-installing it while in Portrait mode -- no diff. It's just sort of irritating that a programmer would mess with a parameter that would seem to have NOTHING to do with power saving. It's probably the default behavior of a screen redrawing function which calls out the position sensor (we don't have).
Old 06-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pyxiwulf, the lightbulb allows you to keep your LCD on. It overrides the automatic screen turn off thingy. Useful if, for example, you're reading with the PE plugged in and you want the map on the LCD side to stay up whether you are moving it around or not.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
oh, lol! since I never left it more than a second doing the test, I was totally clueless (and suffering a summer sinus infection so my problem solving skills are bupkis today).
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 AM   #10
Filark

Feel better soon! I recommend staying in bed with a hot lemonade and reading your eDGe all day.