Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #16
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Why, oh why, did I open this thread?

Looks like all those freebies may be moving further down the TBR list. This stuff sounds great!!

I would love to read a cozy mystery with one of the following as the heroine:

Bed & Breakfast owner
Book store owner
Housewife

Small town settings preferred.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #17
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Y'know, I saw Fundraising the Dead, but I wasn't sure if it'd be any good. It seemed like a slow starter?
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Now you've done it!

Bed and Breakfast: Well, let's see. Mary Daheim writes a long running series about Judith McMonigle Flynn, who owns a B&B in Washington State. All kinds of kooky characters show up.

Book Store Owner: Cleo Coyle's alter ego is Alice Kimberly. She writes a series about a haunted bookstore. also, Lorna Barrett has her series about a bookstore owner, which I believe is mentioned above.

Housewife: Well, there's Sara Rosett's series about a military wife. They move a lot, so there's lots of tips about moving/organizing in those. Also, Leann Sweeney's Cats in Trouble series features Jillian Hart, who is a widow who doesn't work outside of the home. Oh, and Diana Orgain has a series about a young mother too.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #19
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
Y'know, I saw Fundraising the Dead, but I wasn't sure if it'd be any good. It seemed like a slow starter?
If you like museums, (and I do), it's REALLY good. I loved the chance to get "behind the scenes." at a museum, so to speak.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #20
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Yet another I missed: Sharon Kahn's "Ruby, the Rabbi's Widow" series, set near Austin, TX.

Another B & B (guesthouse) book that I bought (with a coupon of course!) a while ago, but haven't yet read: Night of the Living Deed. I'm a bit leery that it's a copycat piggyback to the "Haunted Bookshop" series, but we'll see ....

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 01-16-2011 at 09:05 PM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #21
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Yet another I missed: Sharon Kahn's "Ruby, the Rabbi's Widow" series, set near Austin, TX.
Those sound good, but OUCH... $16.99 for the ebook?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
That's (bleep)ing insane -- either get it as a library book, or the used paperback!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #23
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
That's (bleep)ing insane -- either get it as a library book, or the used paperback!
Yeah, no kidding. Well, it's not like I'm running out of things to read, so...
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #24
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Now you've done it!

Bed and Breakfast: Well, let's see. Mary Daheim writes a long running series about Judith McMonigle Flynn, who owns a B&B in Washington State. All kinds of kooky characters show up.

Book Store Owner: Cleo Coyle's alter ego is Alice Kimberly. She writes a series about a haunted bookstore. also, Lorna Barrett has her series about a bookstore owner, which I believe is mentioned above.

Housewife: Well, there's Sara Rosett's series about a military wife. They move a lot, so there's lots of tips about moving/organizing in those. Also, Leann Sweeney's Cats in Trouble series features Jillian Hart, who is a widow who doesn't work outside of the home. Oh, and Diana Orgain has a series about a young mother too.
Wow! Thanks for the quick suggestions. I'm off to check on all of the above!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #25
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:

Another B & B (guesthouse) book that I bought (with a coupon of course!) a while ago, but haven't yet read: Night of the Living Deed. I'm a bit leery that it's a copycat piggyback to the "Haunted Bookshop" series, but we'll see ....
No, no, it isn't, not at all. LOVED Night of the Living Deed. E.J. Copperman is the pseudonym of Jeff Cohen, if you didn't know. Under Jeff, he writes the Elliot Freed series, about a movie theatre owner, and the Aaron Tucker series, starring a very reluctant investigator.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #26
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

My first ever cozy mystery -

Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder by Sara Rosssett

It's purchased, deDRM'ed, in my Calibre library, and on my Kindle ready for action. I plan to start reading it tonight or tomorrow.

My Kindle now has a 'Cozy Mystery' collection.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #27
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
My first ever cozy mystery -

Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder by Sara Rosssett

It's purchased, deDRM'ed, in my Calibre library, and on my Kindle ready for action. I plan to start reading it tonight or tomorrow.

My Kindle now has a 'Cozy Mystery' collection.
Assimilation complete!!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #28
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Assimilation complete!!
I don't know how I missed your post on the LAST page, since I posted on this one... How bizarre! Anyway, Mystery lovers' Kitchen is a great link, thanks! Also, what's the "back story" you were talking about for the Fundraising series?

Also, Delicious and Suspicious sounds great I think I'm gonna grab that one.

Anyone know of any good cozies that have a little romance in them? I'm not talking, FULL romance book type romance. I just mean, kind of a side story is the romance between the main character and a beau. Can't think of another way to explain it!
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #29
littledonnie
100% Italian
littledonnie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I like the Wine Lovers series by Michelle Scott. Cozy and I can drink wine while reading and not feel bad.
littledonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #30
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
I don't know how I missed your post on the LAST page, since I posted on this one... How bizarre! Anyway, Mystery lovers' Kitchen is a great link, thanks! Also, what's the "back story" you were talking about for the Fundraising series?

Also, Delicious and Suspicious sounds great I think I'm gonna grab that one.

Anyone know of any good cozies that have a little romance in them? I'm not talking, FULL romance book type romance. I just mean, kind of a side story is the romance between the main character and a beau. Can't think of another way to explain it!
Umm.. last question first. Try Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series for cozies with romance. They're usually categorized romance, but I find them more cozy (though without murders) and I do enjoy them, though I don't enjoy most straight romance books.

There's a connection somehow (can't remember precisely how), between Robert Wittman who wrote Priceless, and Sheila Connolly, author of the Fundraising mysteries. I think it was something like he was the investigator on a case involving museum theft while she was either employed by said museum, or researching a book via said museum. I haven't gotten to read Priceless yet. I also can't remember who told me, but it might have been lilac_jive, from here .