Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #91
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Well, listening to audios and reading fancy comic books doesn't seem like much of a challenge to me!

I think that the OP is well within his rights to lay down the terms of his challenge.

I have no intention of reading 100 books next year, but I have responded because I think it will be fun to participate, and it will be fun to see if anything anyone else is reading looks interesting.

If people want to spend their free time listening to audios, it's OK with me. But that's not what the original challenge was. I think we see people declaring before we start that they intend to take the easy way out, and plan to claim they have met the challenge after doing so.
The point I was trying to make is that people should challenge themselves. There's nothing holding them back from creating a 100 book challenge of their own that meet their requirements. Someone that spends hours commuting will find unabridged audio books a godsend.

Someone who loves graphic novels could challenge themselves to read 100 (or whatever number) graphic novels a year etc. Obviously if they want to join THIS challenge it would reasonable to stick to the guidelines.

This year when I started the 100 books in 2010 thread, I set the goal for myself to read novels with more than 300 pages so 150 seems very doable.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:06 AM   #92
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I'm just doing it for myself, with the tickler... I find it difficult to post each book, and this way I just have to add one...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #93
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
I think the number one rule here should be "Don`t take yourself so seriously". If you use this rule everyday your life will be so much nicer. The whole point of this challenge is not to win, but to encourage everyone to read.
I read tons and tons, so I'll make the decision if what I read that day counts. Why so serious? Its all for fun and RIF. Have fun!
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #94
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Last book read "The Slap" by Christos Tsiolkas
Did you like this book by the way?
I have it but haven't read it yet, although I've read a couple of other books by the same author.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #95
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I read tons and tons, so I'll make the decision if what I read that day counts. Why so serious? Its all for fun and RIF. Have fun!
I agree. I'm just going to enjoy myself and read as much as I can.

I've got my list of "potentials" set up in Calibre with a custom column for page counts using the paperback for reference and estimating ones from Smashwords, etc using the word count. About 12 fall short of 150, but there are also 60+ books of more than 300 pages so I'm pretty sure it will work itself out. There are already 113 books on that list with more being added almost daily, so I'm sure to have plenty to choose from as the year goes on.

Plus it gave me an excuse to create a bizarre ticker. I call that a win.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #96
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-600, iPod Touch
I'm going to give this a shot. I tore through something like 30 different Asimov (and related) books in the past few months, so I think I could hit 100 without too much difficulty. I generally try to keep three books going at a time. Right now, I'm reading:

The Host
Grace of Silence
Caliban: Utopia
Free Air
Daephex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #97
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I joined.

A few things I hope are not mandatory -

* The signature ticker (I really don't want one)
* Joining Goodreads and having a bookshelf (don't want to do that either)
* Deciding in advance what to read? ( this is 100% impossible for me)
* Listing the titles of "naughty" books (small percentage of what I read but not sure I would want to world to know EVERYTHING I read)
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #98
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I joined.

A few things I hope are not mandatory -

* The signature ticker (I really don't want one)
* Joining Goodreads and having a bookshelf (don't want to do that either)
* Deciding in advance what to read? ( this is 100% impossible for me)
* Listing the titles of "naughty" books (small percentage of what I read but not sure I would want to world to know EVERYTHING I read)
I'm pretty sure none of those are mandatory, only the actual reading part and posting your progress somehow. I have a Goodreads account but I'm not using it. I'm using Calibre, and I only made a list in advance to make it easier to choose later. As for "naughty" books... well, I have no shame but I know I'm probably in the minority there. I think there are others who are not going to post titles, just genre or type and pg count.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #99
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I joined.
Ooh, good point. Perhaps we can employ a circumlocution? Adding "Meditations of Marcus Aurelius" or somesuch no-longer-read tome to our lists, and then everyone will know we've taken a walk on the wild side, but not exactly where?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #100
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the quick answers.

I saw the place over at the group to list - and then edit for each additional - books we read. It also asks for a short review. I think I will use the star system ***** 1 through 5, and maybe write one sentence about each. Except the naughties, of course.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #101
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Ooh, good point. Perhaps we can employ a circumlocution? Adding "Meditations of Marcus Aurelius" or somesuch no-longer-read tome to our lists, and then everyone will know we've taken a walk on the wild side, but not exactly where?
Great idea
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #102
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Did you like this book by the way?
I have it but haven't read it yet, although I've read a couple of other books by the same author.

Regards
Caleb

I would give it 3-1/2 stars. As most books, it started off very good, bogged down a little in the middle, and finished very strongly. The racial issues in Australia were unknown to me, and made for interesting reading. I would recommend it.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #103
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Great id- Wait - that's actually on my list and now everyone will think I'm reading smut instead of Meditations. Guess I'll have to post a review and excerpt as proof.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #104
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Great id- Wait - that's actually on my list and now everyone will think I'm reading smut instead of Meditations. Guess I'll have to post a review and excerpt as proof.
We'll only know you're reading smut if it appears multiple times on your list.

This is all so funny because my husband of 30 years sleeps beside me and has no idea I even read smut, but everyone on this forum now does. Go figure.

Hubby, "What are you reading, Honey?"
Me, "Nothing."
Old 12-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #105
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
We'll only know you're reading smut if it appears multiple times on your list.

This is all so funny because my husband of 30 years sleeps beside me and has no idea I even read smut, but everyone on this forum now does. Go figure.

Hubby, "What are you reading, Honey?"
Me, "Nothing."
My grandmother used to hide her steamy romances from my grandfather, never realizing that the "westerns" he was reading was actually "cowboy smut". She just never had an interest in westerns so she never even looked. Had she known, she surely would have stopped me thumbing through them at the age of 8. He had some more mainstream westerns too, but he had a ton of 'em where the "creamy white thighs" far outnumbered the horses.

Tags
a terminator production