Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Terry Pratchett, Diskworld - worth reading?

Hello my fellow good readers.

I see that there are several recommendations to the Diskworld by Sir Terry Pratchett.
I read one book of the series a (long) time ago, and came to the conclusion (then) that it was more like Sir Pratchett had stolen the idea of Douglas Adams and tried to sneak off money of Adams' H2G2. Note that the Diskworld book (of which I don't remember the title of) was the first read book after the (first time read of) H2G2

So, my question is, preferrably to the readers who have read "The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"; should I give Sir Pratchett a new chance or would I still be too biased?
I've placed the first 5 books in my Amazon wishlist ready to be one-clicked should I get convinced in buying/reading Diskworld.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Hello my fellow good readers.

I see that there are several recommendations to the Diskworld by Sir Terry Pratchett.
I read one book of the series a (long) time ago, and came to the conclusion (then) that it was more like Sir Pratchett had stolen the idea of Douglas Adams and tried to sneak off money of Adams' H2G2. Note that the Diskworld book (of which I don't remember the title of) was the first read book after the (first time read of) H2G2

So, my question is, preferrably to the readers who have read "The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"; should I give Sir Pratchett a new chance or would I still be too biased?
I've placed the first 5 books in my Amazon wishlist ready to be one-clicked should I get convinced in buying/reading Diskworld.
I bet you read Colour of Magic or The Light Fantastic. Both were written before the series really hit its stride, and parody various fantasy writers. The series gradually acquired much greater depth and complexity. I'd suggest you try one of the later books such as "Guards! Guards!". Or "Wyrd Sisters" if you like Shakespeare. If those catch your interest you can go back and fill in.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If you like that sort of punny, British humor the Diskworld novels are a good fit --- my wife does and has _all_ of them. I don't, so I just pick them up for her when I see a new one she hasn't gotten yet.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I found the first few to be amusing, but that it got a bit "more of the same"-ish after a few. You really need to read them in order to fully appreciate the series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I just went to try get the first book or two from Amazon for my K3... alas, not available to Aussies
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
I just went to try get the first book or two from Amazon for my K3... alas, not available to Aussies
No, not available here... I look every so often to see, if they have changed their minds...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Thanks guys.
I still don't remember the title of the one I read, but I'd might purchase/download the two first ones and have a new read. Or perhaps I'll start with the "free sample" from Amazon.

@Aussies:
Are you sure it'snot available?
When I clicked on the "first and best" of the Kindle titles I got the "not available to" thingy, but there also came up this "available in these formats", where also another (and cheaper) Kindle version was available.
Or do you get the same insanely stupid restrictions on this link: European version

Edit:
Actually, I "changed" my location to Australia and it should be available for $9.18.
Clicky

Last edited by Bikeridr; 10-18-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added an Ozi link
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Diskworld books can be very funny. But don't try to read a lot of them all at once.

I liked "Interesting Times" and "Men at Arms" and some of the more recent ones (like "Going Postal"). A friend of mine has most of the books and loans them to me.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
Some of the more recent books parody recent events and are very well written.

There are some, kind of, sub-series' within the discworld. In particular, there is the witches theme (includes Wyrd Sisters, Maskerade (parodies the Phantom of the Opera) and several others) and the guards theme (Guards, Guards!, Night Watch and several others), the wizards/unseen university theme and the death theme.

As some others have said, I don't like the first couple of books, but after the third or fourth book the series starts to get interesting. Unfortunately, there are unlikely to be many more books as Sir Terry is suffering from Alzheimers.
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
HithNibth
Connoisseur
HithNibth has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Samsung NC10 and Palm TX
I have most of the books TP has written - in both dead tree and e-book versions. I enjoy the wordplay in the Discworld books. I particularly like the characters of Death, Nanny Ogg
and - my favourite - Igor.

Bri
HithNibth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
First 15 or so volumes aren't that great, but then it gets much better.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Honestly, I always thought he (and Douglas Adams) owe a lot to William Goldman's The Princess Bride with all the little asides and footnotes and such.

To my mind, the series wasn't great until he stopped focusing on the Witches and Wizards (who are more annoying than funny). The ones I like are about Death (and his daughter Susan), the Guards, and the stand-alone or short series ones (more recent), though there is sort of a slightly creepy trend towards what seems like a utopia by dictatorship message.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
Wasabihound
Enthusiast
Wasabihound doesn't litterWasabihound doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G and WIFI, MacBook, iPhone 3G
Hi

Try it!

Pratchett has a dry humour, uses (I think) clever allusions to history and science, has some interesting twists on common myth and belief (check out: Lords and Ladies) and just really interesting plot lines.

I am a big fan of Pratchett. Although I agree it can be a bit of a mixed bag at times.

I am a big fan of the Guards series (Guards, Guards; Men at Arms; Jingo; Thud; Night Watch - I have probably forgotten one or two - sorry).

Color of Magic, Light Fantastic are quite different, from the later stuff (as I guess you would expect as he gets to grips with his characters and the readers get to know them better). What turned it for me was: Mort (the first in the Death series) - my copy is ragged now and probably time for a Kindle edition (which you can buy in Australia)

I like Pratchett's dry humour, clever allusions to history and science and just really interesting plot lines.

I like the Witches series too (check out Wyrd Sisters - the Discworld take on Macbeth...).

You can also look at Good Omens (jointly written by Pratchett and Neil Gaiman).
Wasabihound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I hadn't read much Terry Pratchett in 40+ years. I accidentally borrowed a couple of his childrens/YA series from the library and while a bit perplexed at the start found them worth reading.
The man is/was a genious. Any of his books can be read and enjoyed by any age group. How often can you say that.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I hadn't read much Terry Pratchett in 40+ years. I accidentally borrowed a couple of his childrens/YA series from the library and while a bit perplexed at the start found them worth reading.
The man is/was a genious. Any of his books can be read and enjoyed by any age group. How often can you say that.
I think you must have Terry Pratchett confused with someone else-- Pratchett's first novel was published only 39 years ago, and his first Discworld novel only 27 years ago. (The most recent was last month.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote