Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #631
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
I am sure I am going to listen the entire series in quite short time
Oh, I have already listened to the whole series multiple times. I got all the Harry Potter audiobooks when they came out.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #632
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I am halfway through to Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets. Next on list is The Hitchhiker’s Guide to The Galaxy.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #633
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next on list is The Hitchhiker’s Guide to The Galaxy.
Do you have the Stephen Fry reading of that one, too? If so, you're in for a treat.

I have finished listening to The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, narrated by Steven Crossley. Good stuff, and a rather gruesome story. Crossley is a very good narrator, too, I also have To Say Nothing of the Dog read by him which I enjoyed immensely.

Right now, I am still listening to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on my iPod, and to Mockingjay, the third book of the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins on iTunes. This being my least favorite of the trilogy, I allow myself to interrupt it by listening to podcasts (which doesn't mean that I don't like it, but I think it is rather heavy stuff).
Old 08-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #634
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
Do you have the Stephen Fry reading of that one, too? If so, you're in for a treat.

I have finished listening to The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, narrated by Steven Crossley. Good stuff, and a rather gruesome story. Crossley is a very good narrator, too, I also have To Say Nothing of the Dog read by him which I enjoyed immensely.

Right now, I am still listening to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on my iPod, and to Mockingjay, the third book of the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins on iTunes. This being my least favorite of the trilogy, I allow myself to interrupt it by listening to podcasts (which doesn't mean that I don't like it, but I think it is rather heavy stuff).
I don't have THGTG by Stephen Fry at the moment but is in my wish list. If I can't find in my Library, I will hit the buy button. Thanks for the The Picture of Dorian Gray recommendation.
I generally allow interruptions with a random track of A History of the World in 100 Objects. I just love this entire BBC podcast series.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #635
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I just posted a self-directed interview at Smashwords new interview feature.
https://www.smashwords.com/interview/sgoldin
sgoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #636
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
Thanks for the The Picture of Dorian Gray recommendation.
You're welcome. That's what this thread is for.

Quote:
I generally allow interruptions with a random track of A History of the World in 100 Objects. I just love this entire BBC podcast series.
Oh, that reminds me that I have the whole thing sitting in iTunes waiting for me to listen to it! Why do I always forget about it?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #637
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
I just finished my first audiobook, Bossypants by Tina Fey, and started the Harry Potter series narrated by Jim Dale.

I first heard Jim Dale as the narrator on Pushing Daisies and for the first few chapters, every time he switched to his narration voice, I was reminded of the show introductions. After I got over that, I was able to enjoy the story properly and appreciate all the character voices and it's great.

I'm a bit curious to hear how Stephen Fry's reading it after reading the previous posts praising him, so I'm considering switching for the second book.
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #638
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've heard both, and both are good. But the Steven Fry versions are superior, IMHO.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #639
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
The library had The Fish That Ate the Whale: The Life and Times of America's Banana King by Rich Cohen on eAudio. I really enjoyed it.

It is about Sam Zemurray (the fish) and United Fruit (the whale). My great-grandfather sold his father's company to United Fruit.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #640
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up on the audio front is Honor Among Enemies by David Weber. This is book #6 in the Honor Harrington series, and is read with the usual dismal performance by Allyson Johnson. I've learned to live with her performances, but never to like them.
Finished Honor Among Enemies, and moving on to In Enemy Hands. This isn't my favourite Harrington book, but still worth the listen. And the next one up is Echos of Honor, which is an excellent one.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #641
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
After bailing on about 5 or 6 audiobooks that just weren't keeping my attention, I am now almost finished with Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. Pretty funny and great narration. I am thinking of starting a Harry Potter book next since I never read any of them.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #642
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
After bailing on about 5 or 6 audiobooks that just weren't keeping my attention, I am now almost finished with Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. Pretty funny and great narration.
Anansi Boys is one of the Neil Gaiman titles that he doesn't narrate himself, if I remember well. I have it on my wish list at Downpour, but haven't bought it yet. Thanks for the thumbs up for the narration.

I have been listening to The Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft last week. There are more than one free version out there, and this one was recently serialized by the Tales to Terrify podcast. It was narrated by Bob Neufeld who also did quite a bit of stuff at Librivox, and I was really pleased with his performance.

This is one of Lovecraft's longer stories about an expedition to the Antarctic. Not really terrifying, but I like the atmosphere of the tale and can recommend it.

I am also (still) listening to Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, definitely my least favorite volume of the trilogy. The narration is fine, but I find the story in this book a bit disjointed and I know that I don't like the ending (as I have read it before). Still, I want to finish it.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #643
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
Anansi Boys is one of the Neil Gaiman titles that he doesn't narrate himself, if I remember well. I have it on my wish list at Downpour, but haven't bought it yet. Thanks for the thumbs up for the narration.
That's right. Lenny Henry is the narrator and I loved all the accents. I finished this morning. Liked it more than American Gods, but less than Coraline and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. That's all the Gaiman I have read so far.

I agree with you about Mockingjay... still enjoyed the whole trilogy (I read them one after another in a week), but thought Mockingjay was the weakest.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #644
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Honor Among Enemies, and moving on to In Enemy Hands. This isn't my favourite Harrington book, but still worth the listen. And the next one up is Echos of Honor, which is an excellent one.
Reading right along, we're now on to Ashes of Victory. And as much as I still don't much like the reader, I definitely enjoy the books.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #645
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
That's right. Lenny Henry is the narrator and I loved all the accents. I finished this morning. Liked it more than American Gods, but less than Coraline and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. That's all the Gaiman I have read so far.

I agree with you about Mockingjay... still enjoyed the whole trilogy (I read them one after another in a week), but thought Mockingjay was the weakest.
Lenny Henry is the narrator? That almost means I have to read them. I still enjoy the occasional re-run of his show Chef!.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations